Need help picking itinerary

New2cruise1483

I'm trying to research a cruise for my mom (71), my sister (47), and myself (31), for next year and I'm having trouble deciding on a destination. I'm considering doing either the Mexican riviera in October of next year on the Jewel, or doing a southern caribbean September with RCCI. Mexico would be much cheaper for us to fly to, by the southern caribbean seems so much more exotic and interesting but I am a bit nervous trying a different cruise line. I'm looking for other people's opinions that have done both which itinerary they feel is better? I really need help deciding! :eek:. Looking forward to everybody's opinions and input :D

Where are you flying from?

How long of a cruise?

Have you been to any of these ports?

Have you cruised before?

Are you getting 1 or 2 cabins?

We would be flying from Seattle, Wa. I've never been to southern caribbean or Mexico, I've cruise once so far on the Norwegian Dawn on a western caribbean cruise, it would be the first cruise for my mom and sis, probably once in a lifetime for my mom. We would be getting a suite, so just one cabin. With three women, we would need a lot of space :p

We would be flying from Seattle, Wa. I've never been to southern caribbean or Mexico, I've cruise once so far on the Norwegian Dawn on a western caribbean cruise, it would be the first cruise for my mom and sis, probably once in a lifetime for my mom. We would be getting a suite, so just one cabin. With three women, we would need a lot of space :p

Oh, and it would be a 7 day cruise

I know it would be cheaper for you to cruise the Mexican Riviera, but I would choose the southern Caribbean. Especially, since this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for your mother. We have cruised on RCI three times and NCL once. We cruised on NCL Pearl to Alaska and quite frankly will probably not choose that cruise line again. Please look into RCI or Princess, those are our favorite cruise lines. Good luck and have fun on your family cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know it would be cheaper for you to cruise the Mexican Riviera, but I would choose the southern Caribbean. Especially, since this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for your mother. We have cruised on RCI three times and NCL once. We cruised on NCL Pearl to Alaska and quite frankly will probably not choose that cruise line again. Please look into RCI or Princess, those are our favorite cruise lines. Good luck and have fun on your family cruise!

The suite experience from all I've read and my one experience with it on NCL is superior to that of RCCL. Unlike the poster above, we much prefer NCL over RCCL. Haven't tried Princess and prices when I've looked have been higher. I'm also thinking the cost of a suite will be less on NCL....is that true?

There are great things to do in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Cabo is especially scenic. We did Aruba and Curacao on another line and they were okay but not fabulous. I'd take the Mexico one and start saving for the southern Caribbean next time.

Oh, and it would be a 7 day cruise

When would you want to cruise...spring ... Summer. ? We did a full transit through the Panamal canal from weat to east in May and it was really warm, so take that into account. To reiterate what HokiePoq said the "suite" experience on NCL is really wonderful from what I have seen on these boards, so might be more bang for you buck!

Edited by rnvaniderstine

When would you want to cruise...spring ... Summer. ? We did a full transit through the Panamal canal from weat to east in May and it was really warm, so take that into account. To reiterate what HokiePoq said the "suite" experience on NCL is really wonderful from what I have seen on these boards, so might be more bang for you buck!

We did the suite life on the Dawn for my bf's and mine first cruise and agree that it was fabulous! One reason I'm afraid to venture from NCL lol. I just wished that they went to the southern caribbean lol

We did the suite life on the Dawn for my bf's and mine first cruise and agree that it was fabulous! One reason I'm afraid to venture from NCL lol. I just wished that they went to the southern caribbean lol
we would go in the fall, around September/October

Depends on if you cruise out of NY/NJ or Florida. Flights can be cheap if you book about 6 months out. Watch out for Spring Break as that may not suit your grandmother.

I only have cruised Royal Caribbean in the US. Other lines fir overseas trips. All to Caribbean on RCL. I recommend any cruise that avoids Nassau. All the other stops are nice and safe. Too weird in Nassau proper. I was not interested in paying extra to see Atlantis in Nassau.

Usually for NY/NJ is is a 9 day cruise. Fly to Florida and you get more time in Caribbean.

Explorer of the Seas is re-positioning to Florida next year and is a great ship.

Quantum if the Seas is based in NJ starting 11/14. First year out fares are higher and some dates already booked out.

If you do the Caribbean and do the RCI private beaches book the cabanas real early. You can enjoy lots on their beach and be guaranteed to have a nice place in the shade especially for grandma. The beach umbrellas go first come first served and usually they don't have enough if the to go around.

Get trio insurance, you may want to get it for the flight and the cruise. Hurricane season. Check NOAA.gov for history of storms. More likely than not you will be fine but the insurance helps if something goes south on weather etc. You can buy trip insurance on insure my trip dot com or through the cruise line if they book the flight. Or let a travel agent put it all together for you.

They do, but from what I've found it's on the Getaway out of Miami. HUGE ship, but could be fun depending on what you want to do.

Depends on if you cruise out of NY/NJ or Florida. Flights can be cheap if you book about 6 months out. Watch out for Spring Break as that may not suit your grandmother.

I only have cruised Royal Caribbean in the US. Other lines fir overseas trips. All to Caribbean on RCL. I recommend any cruise that avoids Nassau. All the other stops are nice and safe. Too weird in Nassau proper. I was not interested in paying extra to see Atlantis in Nassau.

Usually for NY/NJ is is a 9 day cruise. Fly to Florida and you get more time in Caribbean.

Explorer of the Seas is re-positioning to Florida next year and is a great ship.

Quantum if the Seas is based in NJ starting 11/14. First year out fares are higher and some dates already booked out.

If you do the Caribbean and do the RCI private beaches book the cabanas real early. You can enjoy lots on their beach and be guaranteed to have a nice place in the shade especially for grandma. The beach umbrellas go first come first served and usually they don't have enough if the to go around.

We would probably cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico for the 7 day southern itineraries, which I've notice that flying there is SPENDY. Something I'm taking into consideration.

Get trio insurance, you may want to get it for the flight and the cruise. Hurricane season. Check NOAA.gov for history of storms. More likely than not you will be fine but the insurance helps if something goes south on weather etc. You can buy trip insurance on insure my trip dot com or through the cruise line if they book the flight. Or let a travel agent put it all together for you.

I'm DEFINATELY doing trip insurance for this trip because my mom has ovarian cancer which is currently being controlled, so in case her health deteriorates and I have to cancel, the cost of the trip will be somewhat covered

I was considering the Royal Caribbean southern itinerary, but I read somewhere that the ship they have sailing out of San Juan is going in to dry dock next year and is very worn. You may want to look into that before making a decision. Also, for us, 5 ports sounded exhausting.