When is spring break?

redcruzer

My DS's Spring Break (he's at the University of Arizona) starts 3/14. He's decided to come home to catch up with his local buddies instead of going to Cabo with his frat buddies. Yea! Thank you powers that be! He's a freshman. This will be one of the first Spring Breaks that we don't take a cruise. He just wants to chill with his local friends.:D

Anywhere from early March (my nieces and nephews around the country have it the second week of March) to late April (my own child in a NYC Catholic school). I'd pretty much avoid those two months entirely if you want to avoid kids and college crowds.

University of California students have their break at the end of March. Being a college student myself, I can see why you want to avoid spring breaks. I'm going on my first Carnival cruise and I am no fan of college students because a good handful do not know how to handle themselves and don't use their manners; not every college student is like that though. I normally sail with Princess and love the calmness. I'm a college students with the mind of a 50 year old. :P I rather sit and relax reading a book or watch a comedy show onboard.

I live in Nassau county Florida and our spring break is the last week of March. Duval county, is the week before us and I believe our daughter who'll only get 2 extra days for "spring break" and she is in St. John's county in college. So, pretty much, it's a crap shoot as as it seems the only commonality is that all, or most, Florida schools have spring break in March.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you google "spring break 2014" it will give you a list of schools around the country & when their spring breaks are. Some sites even list the the of students enrolled in each school. Have fun

I have cruised many times during March 15-22 and those dates have always been the most busiest with the college crowd and when I was younger that is when I had the most fun, it was one big party.

Gary

I subscribe to the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney web site, touringplans.com, to get great touring plans that save time in lines at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort parks. They have a crowd calendar too and track spring breaks across the US and Canada to help with their predictions.

They consider spring break season to be between March 8th and March 30th. Sure some will have spring breaks outside of these parameters, but per their research crowds are heavier during this timeframe due to spring breakers and most schools they track have spring breaks within this period.

And then, not considered, spring break, but there is Easter break and (April 13 -18) seems to be the timeframe with the most people off, and cruises with days within that timeframe I think would have more people who are tied to the school schedule.

I know our spring breaks usually fall within these parameters. We have on many occasion taken a trip to WDW in this timeframe, but this year instead we are doing a Carnival Cruise on the Valor out of San Juan (in San Juan for two nights before and then doing the Sunday to Sunday cruise.) DS (who is in HS) has Spring from March 14 thru March 22nd this year.

I'd avoid the whole month of March if you don't want to be with partying college kids. I would also avoid April if you want to avoid school age kids. Where I live the public school kids are always off the week before Easter and the Catholic schools are off the week after Easter.

The safest to avoid kids would be the first week of March or the last week of April.

When is spring break? Typically, any time between March 1 and May 1 with the height being on or around Easter week.

My question would be why do I see so many references to "millions" of college kids on spring break?? Ok, perhaps, just perhaps BUT they certainly won't be on cruises. When I graduated college I wasn't even old enough to cruise alone, as aren't most college "kids". Unless they are ALL married or are brining their parents :rolleyes:.

About the only effect college spring breakers would have on a cruise vacation would be if the ship stopped in a popular port of call for spring break crowds.

I cruised the peak spring break week for our region (Oregon, Washington and California) and it was one of the best cruises I've been on. Lot's of high school aged "kids" and they were great and it really kicked up the fun meter. I'll take that energy level any day over the 90 year old blue hairs :D.

Happy sailing!

My question would be why do I see so many references to "millions" of college kids on spring break?? Ok, perhaps, just perhaps BUT they certainly won't be on cruises. When I graduated college I wasn't even old enough to cruise alone, as aren't most college "kids". Unless they are ALL married or are brining their parents :rolleyes:.

Actually, anyone 21 or older can cruise without their parents. Most college "kids" turn 21 in their junior year. If you can legally drink in college, you can cruise by yourself in college.