Quantum announcement

I can see it (a large number of Quantum class ships). I've thought the newer "jumbo-sized" ships to have a number of drawbacks, including (a) can't always see what you want to see on-board, and (b) it automatically overwhelms some ports. I like the ideas of a "not-quite jumbo" sized ship but still with most of the amenities.

just one person's view, of course.

I can see it (a large number of Quantum class ships). I've thought the newer "jumbo-sized" ships to have a number of drawbacks, including (a) can't always see what you want to see on-board, and (b) it automatically overwhelms some ports. I like the ideas of a "not-quite jumbo" sized ship but still with most of the amenities.

just one person's view, of course.

I agree with everything you said!

I had growing ship habits; Nordic Empress, Voyager of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas; and after the Oasis thought no small ship could be good enough. Our next sailing was the Independence and I loved it. We then did Grandeur and it was nice but too small for me (not enough places to walk around and explore). IMO the Freedom class is perfect. Large enough to have plenty to do and tons of places to walk around all day. Yet it is still small and intimate enough that you see the same people repeatedly and start to feel like one large family. Oasis never felt like a family since everyone was so split up. I hope Quantum captures the vibe of the Freedom class with plenty to do but still feeling unified. It's only a tiny bit larger but the family vibe will be determined on the model they choose to go with for running the activities onboard.

I had growing ship habits; Nordic Empress, Voyager of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas; and after the Oasis thought no small ship could be good enough. Our next sailing was the Independence and I loved it. We then did Grandeur and it was nice but too small for me (not enough places to walk around and explore). IMO the Freedom class is perfect. Large enough to have plenty to do and tons of places to walk around all day. Yet it is still small and intimate enough that you see the same people repeatedly and start to feel like one large family. Oasis never felt like a family since everyone was so split up. I hope Quantum captures the vibe of the Freedom class with plenty to do but still feeling unified. It's only a tiny bit larger but the family vibe will be determined on the model they choose to go with for running the activities onboard.

I haven't yet been on Oasis/Allure, but I'm booked on Quantum and very excited about it. One of the things I missed on the Voyager/Freedom classes was the lack of a public indoor space with great views.

On Enchantment, there was Cleopatra's needle looking out the back and various lounges on that deck with views - the more recent ships have put most of those venues on the lifeboat decks, eliminating the view.

As you can imagine, I'm super excited about 270.

I've been on that growing trend as well, and have always preferred ships with more to do. Even though there are more people, RCCL always does a good job keeping them dispersed. I imagine this dining announcement, presumably announcing multiple main dining venues, will only improve the dispersement of crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by viper17d

I have to agree with you. I've done the smaller ships (Song of Norway, Majesty of the Seas), the Voyager Class, the Freedom Class and Oasis class. I like the larger ships too but Freedom clas is just about right for us. I have my favorite smaller ships, Enchantment for one. Explorer by far is our favorite but I think that's only because it's home based for us and convenient. The Oasis is very nice but too large for my tastes. Anxious to see if Quantum will have the feel of Freedom Class also. Keeping fingers crossed we will learn (finally) more this week. Happy Cruising! ;):D