miss hawaii already

honestguy

Aloha: I just returned home from an 140 day cruise. Too bad it was as an employee. lol I just completed My first and last contact on board the Pride of Aloha. I'm ready to go back cruising as a guest! However I do miss hawaii, and did a ton of stuff there, if anyone has questions about the ports please ask!

Oh man I'm too tired to answer this question in full, but a quick rundown. First off I Hate the thought of people seeing the islands on a cruise. The one great thing is u get to see all the islands, however each island is so diverse that at least a week is needed in each island. Can't miss things vary depending on what you want to do. I want to caution people who been to the carribbean and expect simliar islands. Its totally different. These islands blow anything I've seen in the carribbean away. The only thing I like better is the water color in the carribbean. So give me an idea of what your looking to do. As for getting off the ship quickly most ships give first dib's to guest that booked excurisons through the ship. I'm not a fan of ship excurisons cause u overpay greatly. Main thing is get up early eat early and be ready to walk off when that ship hits the pier. what ship are you sailing on?

(beachchick here)

I agree with honestguy about the difference between doing Hawaii on a cruise and doing a land trip. However, I have to say that for either first time visitors who think they will want to come back or for those who don't think they'll go back again, cruising does give you a taste of many islands. Those who plan to return can decide which islands they prefer; those who aren't returning will get a decent overview.

At this point it's land trips for us. DH used to work in Hawaii (several weeks throughout the year) and knew the islands well before we ever went together. I have to say that the relaxation of going for 1 week each to 2 islands is wonderful. But we enjoyed our cruise (well, except for the part when I broke my ankle and we had to go home early). We would certainly do a cruise again sometime, especially the 7 day all Hawaii. They do give you more time in the islands.

southerntraveler: for hot tips on what to do, etc. I suggest you start with a search on this board (either scroll back or do an advanced search for "excursions" or "must see" for each island). This should give you lots to ponder; it's a subject that comes up all the time, so there's quite a bit about each island. Also, must do's and must see's are really going to be specific to the type of activities you prefer and the ages of the people traveling.

Once you've read through some of the exisiting threads, then you can ask more detailed questions to help with answers you didn't find or give you a better idea of what you want to do.

beachchick

I just got back from Pride of America and I miss Hawaii!! I agree, I want to go back and stay for at least a week on Kauai and then Maui. I'd go to any of them, but if I'm picking this is my choice. I think it's paradise and I'm ready to go!

What is the best time of year to visit Hawaii? I've never been there and would like to get an overview from a cruise perspective first and then return later. Thanks, Laurie

Being from the midwest, I enjoy going in January or February but that time of year normally has rougher seas and a little more rain. It's also peak for the whales.

Being from So. Cal, you don't need to get away from the cold. I would just eliminate summer as the families flock there. If whales and surfing are your thing, the winter, but you will have some periods with a ship rocking. If not, either of the other two seasons would work well for you. It's paradise year round.

Honolulu and Wakiki are packed with people (But I go there anyway). The other islands offer a little more relaxed atmosphere. The people on all the islands will welcome you and make you feel at home. When you feel the Aloha spirit, you will be hooked.

If i was to go as a guest i would go in Jan of Feb. Have to see the whales, and there will be little if any kids. Weather is a little nicer too not quite as hot, but I like the heat. Will you have a greater chance of rain? Yeah but its still not a lot. As for the seas they always have a little chop to them. I've seen it just as rough in the summer as in the winter. I caution people who never cruised the pacific its a different anaimal than the atlantic, you'll almost always have one day out of the week with a good deal of motion. It deals with the one channel that you must sail through.

(beachchick here)

lstrong: We love spring (April/May) and early fall (September/October), but really any time is a good time to go. Yes, you will almost certainly have more rain (and more chance of storms) in the winter, but it's still fabulous. We've been in September, October, November, early December, February, March, and early June--and have loved each trip (August and September are really too hot for our tastes and December and January have more rain). The water temps in October and early November are fabulous; the air temps in February and March are perfect. It just depends on what you are looking for. Bottom line though is don't expect to find a time to go when it won't rain at all--it will. It rains more on the windward sides and mountains (usually) and less (sometimes much less) on the leeward sides of the islands. But many people use the saying that "it's green in Hawaii for a reason." In fact, this summer was unusually dry for Hilo (until I got there because I'm the BI rain queen) and I know it's been drier than normal on Maui (don't know about the other islands). OTOH, we were there in Febuary one year (cruise) and had almost no rain at all anywhere. You just never know for sure, so my advice stands: there is no bad time to go to Hawaii.

As honestguy mentioned, going in late winter and early spring means good whale watching. It is amazing. Going in early fall (September and October and even early November) means far fewer kids and families, plus better rates because it's mostly the off-season. We've gotten really good air and hotel (and cruise) deals in the off seasons.

beachchick

Archived