Breakaway wonderful medical service

Sparkygirl

My family and I are absolutely amazed at the level of service we received from the shipboard medical services particularly in light of the negative comments regarding the staff pool side during the drowning on breakaway last month.

My 3 year old injured her head in the splash area of the pool. Resulting in her being unable to move the left side of her body. My husband and I are both in the medical profession as an EMT and ER Nurse. The bartender who was flagged down by another passenger and initiated a medical emergency pool side. He remained near by on the phone until the medical team arrived. Another bartender came over to assist and provided numerous extra towels to keep my daughter warm. The response time of the medical team was rapid and she was assessed, baseline vitals obtained and packaged for transport to the medical center quickly. I have no idea where the staff who carried her from the pool deck to the medical center on a backboard materialized from.

Once in the medical center further evaluation, X-rays and decisions were made. Security was equally amazing to balance their need for a report of injury at sea and my family's needs to be with our daughter. A simple verbal report of what I said happened to my daughter and confirmation that they saw the same thing on their video surveillance system was sufficient for the initial investigation.

The shipboard doctor was amazing and very much a family centered care provider. Particularly in reassuring us that they had the ability and skills to monitor her onboard ship for the four hours until we arrived in port canaveral. Keeping us up to date on when the pilot arrived onboard to bring the ship into port and keeping us up to date on progress toward port as well as what hospital and what doctor would be receiving her.

It was close to 2pm and I had not had lunch, my parents had gone to savor with my grandmother. I walked in asking for them and for something to eat before arriving at port. The maitre de immediately grabbed a server took my order and within minutes it arrived at the table. I was in and out of the restaurant having eaten a main entree in 15 minutes. I am incredibly grateful for that meal as I would be able to eat again until 10pm that evening.

My daughter is 90% better than she was that morning now 5 days later. She is running around like a normal preschooler and if you didn't know her you would never know that she had this level of an injury. She could be in much worse shape had she not received the level of care she did onboard the breakaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So happy to read that your daughter is doing well! I also had great care from the NCL medical staff on the Pearl after a fall that resulted in a facial lac. I have nothing but positive things to say about them! :)

Wow, how scary?! I'm glad your daughter is healing quickly. I hope she recovers 100% It is so good to hear how well Norwegian takes care of their guests both while in the Medical Center and outside of it.