Hank! Help! Anyone? Catania Sicily

Shoot this was supposed to be started in the Italy ports!!

Since we may not be able to rent a car on a Sunday (I need a back up plan) for our day docked in Catania. What would be the next best option for us "do-it- yourselfers? We want to go to Taormina and Mt Etna.

Also, I would LOVE a great Sicilian restaurant recommendation. I always use TripAdvisor, and I love the site. However, I recently looked up my own town, and was totally shocked about the restaurants made it in the top spots! Certainly none of the best places around. So it got me thinking….

Thank you!!!!

Edited by yvonneh
Can you move this thread to the correct port, Italy?

• 2 weeks later...
I would recommend driving up past Taormina to Castlemola and eat at Gallo Cedrone. A very small family run restaurant, it was the highlight of our first trip to Sicily.

Renee

Thank you!! I just looked up Gallo Cedrone and it looks amazing!! I appreciate your recommendation so much! That is just my kind of place, I love small family owned restaurants.

Do you recommend going to Mt Etna?

Thank you!! I just looked up Gallo Cedrone and it looks amazing!! I appreciate your recommendation so much! That is just my kind of place, I love small family owned restaurants.

Do you recommend going to Mt Etna?

We had a pretty short port day when we were there and did not want to ruin it by trying to do too much. We weren't to interested in going up to Etna as we have our own volcano in Washington state.

Our leisurely lunch with "Mama", Ricardo and Roberto was what made us fall in love with Sicily. We returned two years later and last year spent two weeks in Sicily. If you go, tell Mama Renee from Oregon says Hi. The views from Castlemola are spectacular!

We had a pretty short port day when we were there and did not want to ruin it by trying to do too much. We weren't to interested in going up to Etna as we have our own volcano in Washington state.

Our leisurely lunch with "Mama", Ricardo and Roberto was what made us fall in love with Sicily. We returned two years later and last year spent two weeks in Sicily. If you go, tell Mama Renee from Oregon says Hi. The views from Castlemola are spectacular!

I didn't even know about this area, and I am on Google maps checking it out…it is breathtaking! Oh, we are going to try to go to your favorite place for sure, and I will tell Mama you told me about it! I just hope they are open on Sundays. Thank you for responding to my thread, especially it being in the wrong place!! :D I am grateful!

Any other tips or things to see?

There is a very interesting bar, Bar Turrisi, if you are not traveling with children. Google it first.

Otherwise just stroll Taormina and Castlemola and enjoy your day.

That place looks very interesting! We will have our 8 year old daughter with us. But, after all the naked statues she poses in front of around Italy, she might not even notice! LOL

Thank you!

Shoot this was supposed to be started in the Italy ports!!

Since we may not be able to rent a car on a Sunday (I need a back up plan) for our day docked in Catania. What would be the next best option for us "do-it- yourselfers? We want to go to Taormina and Mt Etna.

Also, I would LOVE a great Sicilian restaurant recommendation. I always use TripAdvisor, and I love the site. However, I recently looked up my own town, and was totally shocked about the restaurants made it in the top spots! Certainly none of the best places around. So it got me thinking….

Thank you!!!!

From the cruise port of Catania it's easy to walk to the city center. As soon as you leave the cruise terminal, the center is indicated. There are also road markings. Follow this road and walk through the small gallery. There you will find the Tourist Office. Beyond the gallery you walk under the railway bridge and you'll arrive at V. Vittorio Emmanuele II. From there the center is just nearby.

Landmarks and highlights in Catania

The Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Catania was dedicated to Saint Agatha of Sicily. It's dating from the 11th century and rebuilt in Sicilian baroque style.

It's a majestic palace located in the center of the city. Palazzo Biscari is dating from the 16th century.

Fontana dell'Elefante is the symbol of Catania. It's a big fountain with the statue of an elephant.

Roman amphitheater dating back from the 2nd century A.D.

Castello Ursino this castle was built around 1240 by Frederick II. It has four large towers and was used also as Museo Civico since 1934.

Shopping- Via Etnea

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/catania-i-si-cat.htm

In Catania train station you can take a train to Taormina-Giardini. In Taormina itself is no train station. Depending on the number of stops, the journey takes between 40 minutes and 1 hour. A train ticket costsa bout € 4 per person (one way). It's good to check the train timetable in advance. If you take the train to Taormina, get off at station Taormina-Giardini. Just in front of the station you can then take the public bus (Interbus) to the center of Taormina. The journey takes about 20 minutes and costs € 1.80 per person (one way). There are 2-3 buses per hour. Taormina center is pedestrianized. The bus will park at a few minutes walk to the center. You can consult the Interbus timetable here.

Catania train station is located at Piazza Giovanni XXII, in the east of the city at about 1 km from the port. You can walk. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Nepoznata+cesta&daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=37.504126,15.09573&spn=0.008784,0.018582&sll=37.506928,15.099836&sspn=0.002196,0.004646&geocode=FU0xPAIdd1TmAA%3BFVtPPAIdimfmAA&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=m&z=16

There is a direct bus service between Catania and Taormina provided by the Etna Trasporti bus company. In the morning and late afternoon there runs 1 bus per hour. Around noon and during the siesta, the frequency is lower. A ride from Catania to Taormina takes about 1h10min and costs € 4.90 per person (one way)

You can take the bus at the bus station on Via Liberta in Catania. The Taormina bus stop is a few minutes walk from the center. It's best to check the Interbus timetable in advance.

The bus station on Via Liberta is not far from the train station https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Nepoznata+cesta&daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=37.507172,15.099176&spn=0.001553,0.002323&sll=37.506928,15.099836&sspn=0.002196,0.004646&geocode=FU0xPAIdd1TmAA%3BFVtPPAIdimfmAA&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&t=h&z=19

Bus service between Catania and the highest car park at the summit of Etna. Unfortunately, there is only 1 bus per day and this option is not suitable for most cruise passengers.

The AST bus from Catania to Etna Sud (the car park at the cable car to the main crater) leaves at 08.h15. The bus back from Etna Sud starts at 16h30. The trip takes 2 hours (one way) and the bus makes a short stop in Nicolosi. Along the way you can enjoy some spectacular views along the flanks of the volcano. A ticket costs € 6.20 per person (return ticket). Better check the timetable in advance to see if it fits within your cruise schedule.

The AST bus leaves near the Catania train station

The Circumetnea is a local train that connects villages and towns at the foot of Mount Etna. The train runs every day from Catania (station Borgo) to Giarre-Risposto, except on Sundays and public holidays.

Randazzo is an interesting stop alon the trail and the town is worth a visit. This medieval city is closest to the top of Mount Etna and is completely built of lava stone. A trip from Catania to Randazzo takes 2 hours and costs € 8.20 per person (return). It's good to check the Circumetnea timetable in advance.

In Catania the Circumetnea train departs from the Borgo metro station. You can take the metro just outside the gates of the harbor at Porto station. The journey takes just a few minutes and you pay € 1 per person (valid for 90 minutes after valdiatie).

The metro runs only during the week a frequency of 15 minutes. A ticket is valid for 90 minutes after validation and costs € 1 per person. The metro network is managed by the same company as the Circumetnea. You can check the timetable in advance.

I hope that helps

Edited by mbeginner

Sorry to see one of the Mods did not move this over to the Italy board. The OP has our sympathy (or is it empathy) on being in Catania on a Sunday. We have always thought the perfect European cruise itinerary would have ships always at sea on Sundays :). If one is desperate and really wants a car on Sunday I guess they could go out to the airport (about 3-4 miles) where we know that Hertz is open on Sundays.

There are times when even the most ardent DIYers (and that would be moi) have to throw in the towel and book a cruise line excursion. So if you really want to to go to Taormina on a Sunday, this might be the time to consider a cruise line transfer or tour. If you stay in Catania on a Sunday, and walk to the center of town, you are going to find nearly all the stores closed.

Hank