Need help with new DSLR

HEINER

The Superzoom camera models offer you a great value and excellent performance. I have a Nikon P520 and it has a 24-1000 zoom lens. The newest model is the Nikon P530 and it sells for about $349.00. This camera can also take videos and is very compact and lightweight. The camera also has both a viewfinder and digital screen that rotates. It also take excellent pictures in low-light situations. You can also purchase a 67mm adapter to use filters of all types.

• 2 weeks later...
Valid points, but a $600 two-lens kit is going to be absolute bottom-of-the-barrel. That 55-200 zoom isn't going to have IS, and it's going to be f/5.6 across much of the long end. The body is limited to ISO 6400, and probably noisy at that point. All of that gobbledygook is going to lead to blurry (or noisy, or both) pictures with the telephoto zoom in anything but good sunlight. The enthusiasm isn't going to remain high under those conditions, and the buyer is going to think DSLR wasn't a wise investment. None of this requires a 30" monitor, either.

I'm reading between the lines, but I get the feeling that $600 is absolute max the OP is willing to spend ON PHOTOGRAPHY, aside from prints. If that's the case, I think a different camera is going to serve them better, possibly leaving some budget for a tripod (which will make more of a difference than most other accessories they might buy). That's just my opinion, and I welcome yours as well.

Maybe, maybe not. Even just $600 on a basic dSLR kit will still out perform the vast majority of superzooms and compacts.

Even cheaper telephoto zooms tend to be stabilized now. Or on Sony and Pentax, you can find cheap old used lenses, that take advantage of in-body stabilization. (On Sony, I routinely use a 70-210 f4 that I bought for about $120... so it's a fairly fast telephoto zoom with image stabilization very cheap).

The reality is, the majority of dSLRs sold are entry level, sold to buyers who will rarely add more than a cheap telephoto, maybe an external flash. I was shooting a dance festival with my full frame camera and 200/2.8 prime.... I saw a Canon 6d with 24-70/2.8. Then I saw lots of iPads and smartphones being used as cameras, and lots of basic dSLRs with kit lenses.

I was a basic dSLR (and SLR) shooter with basic lenses for several years before my interest became more intense.

But thanks to advances in technology, even the basic cheap dSLR is quite impressive.

Yes, you can't get a sharp 2.8 shot on a kit lens --- You will struggle in low light without a flash. But not everyone hates flash photography (I actually have come to really like it with a properly gelled and bounced flash). If you aren't pixel peeping, that basic kit lens will perform beautifully in good light, or on a trip, or with a flash.

Expensive cameras and expensive lenses certainly have their purpose for very demanding types of photography. (Can't do true macro with a kit lens. Wouldn't want to photograph an indoor sports like basketball, gymnastics, dance, etc, with a basic kit telephoto zoom. You're not going to do low light photography with a basic kit lens on an entry level body).

But for most every day person photography --- the types of pictures people are using their smart phones for, an entry level dSLR will certainly outperform their smart phone.

And in terms of image quality --- The cheapest entry level dSLRs can match the top tier APS-C dSLRs. The differences aren't in image quality --- They tend to use the same sensors. The differences are in things like weather sealing, auto focus points, better processor allowing faster burst rates, etc.

But for example --- the dxoMark score of the entry level Nikon D3200 is almost exactly the same as the score for the semi-pro level Nikon D7100 -- Just fractional differences within the margin of testing error.

And if you compare photozone.de lens testing --- The kit Nikon 18-55, compared to the expensive 17-55/2.8 -- Obviously the kit lens can't do 2.8 at all. And at f4, the more expensive lens produces much better results.

But at apertures of 5.6 and smaller, the two lenses are very very close in resolution across the frame.

So an advanced set up of the D7100 and 17-55/2.8 will run about $2000.

The D3200 with 18-55 will run $500.

And for many people, for every day photography, they are capable of producing identical results. (Shoot the same scene at F8, properly focused, and you will get images that are indistinguishable, even with pixel peeping.)

Why do you think you need a DSLR? If you are budget conscious, you may want to reconsider. What are you using now?

Check out this alternative just announced today

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-LZ40K?sc_ec=epp-club_audio_new-audio-imaging-products_pcec_1522890_03242014

Nice camera, now I want another.

I have an older Panasonic Lumix that I take about half my cruise photos on still. It has a 10x optical zoom and a 20x digital. Still a great camera. I also have a Fujifilm XP waterproof camera that I got free with points. Love it for snorkeling and the panoramic mode. Carrying both around is still smaller than one dslr for me.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Maybe, maybe not. Even just $600 on a basic dSLR kit will still out perform the vast majority of superzooms and compacts.

Fair points. My concern for some entry-level users is the hope that a more expensive camera will make things easier, more fun, mo' betta, etc. In many ways it will, but in many ways it won't. Focus doesn't matter as much on camera phones, point&shoots, etc. as it does on a DSLR due to the difference in sensor size. Bigger sense means natively thinner depth of field. Now, sports photos can be blurry because they focused on the wrong subject, where previously it was all in focus. Low-light photos can mean one relatively sharp face and one blurry face because the wider effective aperture, even on a kit lens, might separate the subjects more than desired/expected.

Fair points. My concern for some entry-level users is the hope that a more expensive camera will make things easier, more fun, mo' betta, etc. In many ways it will, but in many ways it won't. Focus doesn't matter as much on camera phones, point&shoots, etc. as it does on a DSLR due to the difference in sensor size. Bigger sense means natively thinner depth of field. Now, sports photos can be blurry because they focused on the wrong subject, where previously it was all in focus. Low-light photos can mean one relatively sharp face and one blurry face because the wider effective aperture, even on a kit lens, might separate the subjects more than desired/expected.

All true. Anybody stepping up to dSLR (or mirrorless or any larger sensor) may need to re-adjust to a narrower depth of field.

Even people claiming to be knowledgeable can be lost. I post for comment a dance photo I took at 200mm/2.8. Yes, DOF was narrow. One dancer was very sharp, and two dancers in the background were blurred. ( as I knew would happen)

Someone on a dSLR board commented that the out of focus dancers were distracting and I should have used a faster lens to get them in focus... Huh?????

Getting back on point -- the advantage for an entry level shooter with a kit lens... As those lenses are slower, they won't usually have ultra thin DOF.

Yes, they still need to get better at grabbing focus, get used to narrower DOF. But they won't usually be in extreme situations.

And even many entry level shooters desire more background blur.

I often see message board questions of "how can I get background blur with my p&s?"

So really, there is nothing wrong with limiting yourself to $600. But really the key is, no matter what gear you buy, you need to learn how to use it. (A book on on-camera flash and a $10 pack of gels was 1 of my best investments).

• 4 weeks later...

Going to Samys tomorrow they have the Panasonic FZ200 on sale with no sales tax this weekend for $448.00

So one last question will this camera take good pictures indoors? And what about cloudy days? We are doing a Baltic cruise so we may have cloudy days. We are going to Russia St Petersburg so I will want a good indoor camera also.

I am on over load with camers information and I am sure these question have been answer already.

Started wanting a DSLR and with everyone's great information will look at FZ200.

Thanks to everyone for all your information.

Going to Samys tomorrow they have the Panasonic FZ200 on sale with no sales tax this weekend for $448.00

So one last question will this camera take good pictures indoors? And what about cloudy days? We are doing a Baltic cruise so we may have cloudy days. We are going to Russia St Petersburg so I will want a good indoor camera also.

I am on over load with camers information and I am sure these question have been answer already.

Started wanting a DSLR and with everyone's great information will look at FZ200.

Thanks to everyone for all your information.

Ultimately, it's a small sensor camera with a pretty good lens. Indoors, low light, etc... It will perform similarly to most point and shoots. About the same, maybe slightly better than the better smart phone cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a DSLR "newbie" and just purchased a Canon Rebel T5 with an 18-55 IS lens and a EF-S 70-300 III lens. I plan on taking these on our cruise to the Eastern Caribbean this fall. Did I make a smart purchase? Will these lens be what I need to take beautiful pictures of these islands and especially the planes at Maho Beach?

I am a DSLR "newbie" and just purchased a Canon Rebel T5 with an 18-55 IS lens and a EF-S 70-300 III lens. I plan on taking these on our cruise to the Eastern Caribbean this fall. Did I make a smart purchase? Will these lens be what I need to take beautiful pictures of these islands and especially the planes at Maho Beach?

Your 18-55 lens will probably give you much better results overall than the 75-300 III lens (by the way, I'm assuming you mean the EF 75-300 III lens, as I don't see a current EF-S 70-300 lens, nor is the current EF 70-300 lens a third-generation model). The 75-300 is generally considered to be a mediocre lens at best: it doesn't have IS, which would be a big help at those focal lengths, and it doesn't have great optical quality until you get to f/8 (which makes getting non-blurry shots that much tougher). You'll probably need to wait for good, bright sunlight to get great results with the 75-300.

I'd suggest a lot of practice to become familiar with the camera, and progress to a point where you're ready to shoot in Av mode so you can set the aperture to f/8 and raise the ISO as needed to get a shutter speed of 1/500th when shooting with the 75-300 lens, especially at the long end.

twospoiled,

Those lens choices will be fine for island pics and planes at Maho pics; you'll need to be shooting at faster than 1/500 (and likely much faster ~1/2500) and most likely at F8 or even smaller (F9-F11). Keep your ISO at 100 and only increase if you shoot at 1/500 and need more light and are at your lowest F number. If you were to shoot in low light conditions you would need a tripod to keep steady, but island and plane pics will be in plenty of natural sunlight and image stablization is irrelevant when shooting at high speeds. :)

Do get out and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Switch to M mode and play with the settings while watching your light meter and try to keep it in the middle or slightly to the right.

Edited by PaulMedik

Yes, that gear is capable of beautiful pictures. If you learn to compose beautiful shots and master the gear.

Another perspective for you: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/07/lenses-dont-collect-the-whole-set

Yes go to this web site and get a full review on this camera.http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

Also their is good info here, look further down listed FZ200 and see what your fellow cruisers think of this camera and additional good info.

Dpreview.com is also a good place to look for camera reviews and forums on camera and get info from other people.

Check it out.

Tom :cool:

This is a good site. Also, this

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K?sc_mc=sem_google_cov_camera-brand_model_03192014_imaging

which is the Panasonic site was the 2nd hit when I typed "FZ200" into Google.

Also try typing "FZ200 review" into Google.

With all respect to CC which is wonderful for cruise information, there are many sites out there that are much better for camera purchase info.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

This is a good site. Also, this

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K?sc_mc=sem_google_cov_camera-brand_model_03192014_imaging

which is the Panasonic site was the 2nd hit when I typed "FZ200" into Google.

Also try typing "FZ200 review" into Google.

With all respect to CC which is wonderful for cruise information, there are many sites out there that are much better for camera purchase info.

DON

Don,

Great site for information on the FZ200. Thanks for posting the information.

Betty

I am an amateur photographer, but have had several of my images published and I want to let everybody know that it's not the hammer that builds the house , if you know what I mean. Learn to master what ever camera you use and learn how to frame or create the images you envision. All this talk about kit lenses vs the pro lenses , megapixels, and frames per second is like a pissing contest. Yes, pro glass is nice, but your not looking to win a photography contest , just bring home some great images from your vacation. If your sailing to the Caribbean , most likely you'll always have great light , so you'll get good photos with any camera. Just try out a lot of cameras ( DSLR/point & shoot, and super zooms) before you buy them, see what camera feels right to you. Just because you spend lots of money on a camera / lenses does not make you a good photographer. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All this talk about kit lenses vs the pro lenses , megapixels, and frames per second is like a pissing contest. Yes, pro glass is nice, but your not looking to win a photography contest , just bring home some great images from your vacation. If your sailing to the Caribbean , most likely you'll always have great light , so you'll get good photos with any camera. Just try out a lot of cameras ( DSLR/point & shoot, and super zooms) before you buy them, see what camera feels right to you. Just because you spend lots of money on a camera / lenses does not make you a good photographer.

With all due respect, this thread has taken a wild course, but there's been plenty of advice to learn how to do well with what you have. You're also seeing a couple of us point out that a recent reply happened to dive into the use of what could be Canon's worst DSLR lens. Good light or not, it's going to take a lot of learning to become fluent in how to use that lens in a manner that won't lead to frustration and blur. Coupled with a DSLR that doesn't do well with high ISO means they're going to have to manage their settings more aggressively than the next guy, and green-box auto probably won't be all that great.