Anyone used T-Mobile for texting?

kpee

Heading out on the Allure in 26 days. My family recently signed up with TMobile during their big promo to buy out contacts and have global service at no extra cost. We have not been thrilled with their service so far so wondering how good it will be out in the middle of the Caribbean. We have 2 teenagers and only will need to text back and forth for updates on location. We are hoping it works and there are no hidden costs. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any input.

I recently looked into this for an upcoming cruise.

T-Mobile recently rolled out a program for no-roaming charges for text and data in 120 countries if you are under their Simple Plan:

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/simple-choice-international-plan-countries.html

On board is not a very happy story however. Go to this link: http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=inl_tab_roamworldwide and under the country list scroll down to Royal Caribbean, they don't show Allure but Oasis should be the same. $5.99/minute for voice, 50 cents/text, data is out of sight.

I'm going to pull my battery when not in port.

-- Kevin

Edited by kevink

• 5 weeks later...

I am subscribing to this in hopes that you will come back from your trip and let me now how it went. I have tmobile as do my daughters and we are going on the Allure. I'd love to know how the texting onboard the ship while at sea worked.

Thanks,

Debbie

The only problem keeping phones on to text while on the ship is you will be charged for any incoming call as soon as it rings, even if you do not answer it. You would also want to be darn sure your data is completely deactivated on the phone. All these smart phone apps will use data in the background even if you do not realize they are. Data is horribly expensive. Personally I turn on the phone once a day in the evening to check for text updates from family back home, but I would NEVER leave my phone turned on while on the ship for texting between people on board. Just my two cents.

On board, you use the ATT Cruise network. Looks like T-Mo has an arrangement with the ATT Cruise network to attach to that network with your T-Mo phone, but you are charged the roaming rates because you are not in one of the countries they have as "free"… Now, if you are on land in one of those countries, you would be able to use the free services.