Upgrade from one GTY level to another after cabin assignment?

robinbtigger

Hi everyone! I recently booked a cruise on the Dawn in an obstructed view OX GTY cabin and I received my cabin assignment last week (category OG, a forward cabin on Deck 4) . I'm not thrilled with the location so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upsell call and my eyes peeled for more price drops in higher categories so I can pay for an upgrade. I emailed my TA to let her know that my cabin was assigned, that I would be interested in an upsell if one is offered and that I was watching rates for better categories. I mentioned that a I might be interested in paying for an upgrade to a Balcony if the prices come down enough. Most of the balcony categories are currently GTY and my TA said that NCL will not allow an upgrade from an OV GTY to a Balcony GTY once the cabin has been assigned. Is that true? I could think that NCL would be happy to take more money from me (and yes, I know that I could be in the same boat with a less than desirable cabin assignment).

FWIW, if an upgrade doesn't happen I will be *fine* with my assigned cabin. It's on the departures deck which will make it easy for us to grab our stuff and go and it's close to the forward elevators. I was just hoping for a window instead of a port hole and I would love a balcony if the price is right :).

It seems like you've done your homework and understand what's involved here as far as upgrade, as opposed to upsell (you pay more money) and I wonder if your TA has perhaps misunderstood you.

We took advantage of price drops, all after final payment, on our last cruise. We paid around $130 to move up from a regular balcony to a mini suite and then were upgraded $0 to an aft penthouse suite.

We did, however, work directly with NCL and our PCC knew what we were interested in.

Bottom line, I'm not sure why your TA would say you can't upsell to a higher category unless there are none available.

I just wanted to make things clearer. I am willing to pay the difference between the price I paid for my OX to a BX if prices come down, but there are no cabins available to be assigned in that category right now. The BX category is currently in GTY status (not sold out). My TA says that I can't upgrade to a BX GTY because my OX GTY cabin was already assigned. Maybe she thinks that I don't want to continue to play the GTY game.

I can get an upgrade to an OB right now for $200, but I'm holding out for a better price as I'm okay with my current cabin.

I just wanted to make things clearer. I am willing to pay the difference between the price I paid for my OX to a BX if prices come down, but there are no cabins available to be assigned in that category right now. The BX category is currently in GTY status (not sold out). My TA says that I can't upgrade to a BX GTY because my OX GTY cabin was already assigned. Maybe she thinks that I don't want to continue to play the GTY game.

I can get an upgrade to an OB right now for $200, but I'm holding out for a better price as I'm okay with my current cabin.

O.K. I just looked at the dawn 4/13 balcony gty @ $ 1,394 with port fees and tax with fifty dollar OBC is avalalbe to buy . The OB price is @ 1,234 with a $25 OBC so my math is like three sixty to upgrade .

Edited by biker@sea

O.K. I just looked at the dawn 4/13 balcony gty @ $ 1,394 with port fees and tax with fifty dollar OBC is avalalbe to buy . The OB price is @ 1,234 with a $25 OBC so my math is like three sixty to upgrade .
Thanks for looking that up!

We currently have $50 OBC so that's a wash. A B3 family balcony is $340 more than the OX I booked but $50 per day is still too much for us. I assume the upgrade price is based on the amount that I paid and not the current value of the assigned cabin. I guess I'll press my TA to try to upgrade me if prices drop enough and the difference is less.

I think NCL will let you pay to upgrade to a balcony gty. Not sure why the TA would not think it was allowed. Of course, you'd have to be happy enough with any balcony anywhere on the ship. Some are hull balconies (we had one, I was fine with it and DH really liked it for the privacy and shade). Some of those may be a deck above relatively close to the theater, so you might hear music during shows (not all that loud in the cabin in my limited experience and not all that late at night either....If you are a night owl at the late show or out and about on the ship, theater noise would likely be a non-issue). If you want the balcony gty, by all means call back the TA back and have the agent call NCL. maybe suggest a conference call if the TA give you the odd-sounding "can't go from one gty category to a better gty category". If the TA won't do it find another agent next time or book direct.