Gluten Free Birthday Cake?

Sailing on the Allure May 18th and will be celebrating our daughter's 21st birthday! She has a nasty gluten intolerance. We've called RCCL to ask about the birthday cakes and were told "all the cakes are gluten free"--which we assume is incorrect. This is our very first cruise and we don't know the ropes yet. Would so appreciate any advice.

Sailing on the Allure May 18th and will be celebrating our daughter's 21st birthday! She has a nasty gluten intolerance. We've called RCCL to ask about the birthday cakes and were told "all the cakes are gluten free"--which we assume is incorrect. This is our very first cruise and we don't know the ropes yet. Would so appreciate any advice.

No, their cakes are NOT Gluten Free...nor do they offer any. Other lines do...as in Carnival & HAL.... but I'm just off the Navigator & they did not offer one.... the Gluten Free desert menu is pretty lame IMHO (some kind of green jello looking thing, Crème Brule (which was terrible) & ice cream, that's about it.. I just skipped it every night. I complained (nicely) & got a 25% discount off a future cruise.... I told them they CAN make a delicious Gluten Free chocolate cake like Carnival & HAL.... but they didn't seem too interested.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE RCCL.... and have four upcoming cruises with them booked.... but just don't care for the GF dessert options.

I've had wonderful GF desserts on Royal though I do agree they're hit and miss. I've had them specially made for me in the MDR as well as in Portofinos and they were fabulous.

I would never expect to receive money off a cruise because of not being able to get dessert. I've never been hungry on a cruise either.

Speak to the Executive Chef after boarding and have that conversation with him about a cake. Also email special_needs@rccl.com with the request.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Thank you for the quick replies and advice. If we have to make do with cupcakes, we can still have a great time! We just want to avoid the gluten, otherwise the fun times will be doomed! I will certainly speak with the Executive Chef (my dh has a life-threatening tomato allergy that we have already contacted "special needs" about) - hate to be high maintenance - but I've learned the hard way that we have to be advocates for ourselves.