Can someone please confirm RC's UK price drop policy

Orems

Hello folks,

The new RC customer care team based in Guatemala I believe have been really appalling to work with! thus my question here. Can anyone please confirm precisely what RCL's price drop policy is as I've been given conflicting information by them and can find almost nothing in writing on their uk site. My question relates to both pricing changes and if you move to a lower price (I've been told you can do this only once) how that impact your booking extras (I got lousy ones, current ones better, can I get these with change, do I lose these entirely)?

The price has dropped around 13% and 18 cabins in my category for early July remain open.

Thank you!

Jennie

Hello folks,

The new RC customer care team based in Guatemala I believe have been really appalling to work with! thus my question here. Can anyone please confirm precisely what RCL's price drop policy is as I've been given conflicting information by them and can find almost nothing in writing on their uk site. My question relates to both pricing changes and if you move to a lower price (I've been told you can do this only once) how that impact your booking extras (I got lousy ones, current ones better, can I get these with change, do I lose these entirely)?

The price has dropped around 13% and 18 cabins in my category for early July remain open.

Thank you!

Jennie

Where did you get that RCCL customer services is based in Guatemala from ?? RCCL UK are based in Weybridge Surrey this is their address

Royal Caribbean International

Royal Caribbean House

Addlestone Road

Addlestone

Surrey KT15 2UE and the phone number is 01932 820230 using this number avoids the 0844 number that most will find.

The way the UK works differs to the USA and Canada on price drop that is my experience we had a cruise booked and the price changed after many exchanges RCCL refunded about £40 as a act of good will.

Reason is the way that the prices change and the offer are structured say you booked a cat K cabin with a $200 OBC for £500 pp and the new offer is Cat K cabin with no OBC for £450 pp you will loss the OBC. Also if you have booked a cabin by number on a certain deck you most likely will not get that cabin again, RCCL also the closer the cruise gets group the cabins remaining into what there call Cat Z for inside cabin, Cat Y for oceanveiws and Cat X for balconies and suites with these you will not be assigned a cabin to very close to the sail date and could end up anywhere on the ship.

Hope this make some kind of sense your best better is to give RCCL and plead your case the pricing structure in the UK is all to do with the British travel agents regulations and the way it works.

Where did you get that RCCL customer services is based in Guatemala from ??

Widely reported on here that phone support has moved and I can confirm this having had 2 appalling call experiences with them over the past few days. So can my friends.

The first rep told me the sailing I was referring to wasn't on sale, then he said no cabins available, then the cabin I wanted wasn't available. He put me on hold for ages and so I hung up. The 2nd rep I got was ok, although my address had been changed to 'mother'???? Eventually sorted, but boy what an inferior experience to the reps I've dealt with in the past in the UK.

Edited by peteukmcr

I am fortunate enough to have a very good travel agent here in the UK, who still has connections with the team in the UK offices!

A call by him re a significant price drop to the overseas call centre resulted in him being told no can do, a subsequent email to my t/a's contact resulted in the invoice being adjusted down to the new price - it can be done.

Not likely to happen if you deal direct, unless maybe you go via Crown and Anchor reps?

Where did you get that RCCL customer services is based in Guatemala from ?? RCCL UK are based in Weybridge Surrey

The UK call centre for Royal Caribbean and Azamara has moved to Guatemala.

Celebrity is still in the weybridge office.

UK does not have any sorts of price match promise like the US. But sometimes they can do it, sometime they can not.

Depends on the terms of whatever promotion is going on at the time really

Widely reported on here that phone support has moved and I can confirm this having had 2 appalling call experiences with them over the past few days. So can my friends.

The first rep told me the sailing I was referring to wasn't on sale, then he said no cabins available, then the cabin I wanted wasn't available. He put me on hold for ages and so I hung up. The 2nd rep I got was ok, although my address had been changed to 'mother'???? Eventually sorted, but boy what an inferior experience to the reps I've dealt with in the past in the UK.

yep, I can confirm that has happened. I luckily managed to book a cruise on Monday with a lovely lady the Surrey office but she told me the change over has already started to happen & will be complete by April.

Today I called back to clarify something on the booking and a different Rep (who was speaking from Guatemala) told me the all sorts of nonsense in relation to the booking.

I ended up being no further forward nor ascertaining what I called up for as I was told my booking was made in Miami (which it wasnt) and couldn't be accessed by the guy I was speaking too! :mad:

Its going to be a very hard slog with the new people, and I feel RCI could have made a very serious mistake by moving the office. Hopefully I'm proven wrong as RCI is our favorite cruise line - but we may jump ship back to Celebrity if it all goes wrong in the future.

I dread to think what will happen with a new cruiser calling up to ask queries, they wont know better and will believe what they are being told by the Reps, which in the case of my query was totally wrong.

I wonder if the plan is to move the US office to Guatemala ?

Happy sailing :)

Crown & Anchor has now moved to Guatamala also, same thing, they do not know any answers to Qs, have no idea who or why you are calling and they interpretation skills are US, they put you on hold for 10-15mins then still cannot give an answer. HOWEVER we have been assured:rolleyes: that it will be good eventually?(6months away), why should we have to put up with poor customer service when we had GREAT customer service from the UK office/Staff.

Where did you get that RCCL customer services is based in Guatemala from ??

Take a look at the link below - it gives an overview of how they have moved things about. The call centre is most definitely in Guatemala and the staff there aren't very clued up to say the least. Considering that the UK is now the second largest cruise market after the USA, the standard of service is very poor and certainly not what I would expect.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/09/04/45171/royal+caribbean+celebrity+and+azamara+to+run+as+separate+businesses.html

Hello folks,

Thank you!

Jennie

As strict policy, the booking terms and conditions do not allow for price matching in the UK. There are adjustments possible in the T&Cs but these are linked to RCL's costs (so, for example if port fees drop they will pass these on). Anything else, in the UK, is effectively at RCL's discretion and there are mixed stories of success in terms of getting adjustments due to price drops - more unsuccessful than successful - so you (or your TA) would need to talk nicely to RCL and try to persuade them to pass on.

The US experience for both benefits and price drops is very different. That is why I now book via a US travel agent - the last 2 cruises I have received a total of $1,700 OBC that just wasn't nearly possible in the UK, plus price drops if they happen (they didn't in this particular case). Just be aware you have to be prepared to carry the exchange rate risk until final payment.

Take a look at the link below - it gives an overview of how they have moved things about. The call centre is most definitely in Guatemala and the staff there aren't very clued up to say the least. Considering that the UK is now the second largest cruise market after the USA, the standard of service is very poor and certainly not what I would expect.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/09/04/45171/royal+caribbean+celebrity+and+azamara+to+run+as+separate+businesses.html

Well I missed this one, I normally deal with RCCL direct and have the direct line number to very nice lady who we have meet, no dealt this again is all about cost cutting.

Crown & Anchor has now moved to Guatamala also, same thing, they do not know any answers to Qs, have no idea who or why you are calling and they interpretation skills are US, they put you on hold for 10-15mins then still cannot give an answer. HOWEVER we have been assured:rolleyes: that it will be good eventually?(6months away), why should we have to put up with poor customer service when we had GREAT customer service from the UK office/Staff.

I couldn't have put it better myself. The Crown and Anchor dept - and particularly Lesley Green - were the best customer service team I've encountered. Service, all round, since the move to Guatemala is abysmal.

We deal via a TA who is really frustrated by the different answers he gets every time he calls. Most of his calls involve the person on the end of the phone having to refer to a supervisor, with the ensuing long wait. He's now taken to doing what people on here advise - if you don't get the answer you want first time put the phone down and try again. You'll inevitably get a different answer from the next person.

Well I missed this one, I normally deal with RCCL direct and have the direct line number to very nice lady who we have meet, no dealt this again is all about cost cutting.

Try calling the general number next time instead of the person's direct line - you'll be in for a bit of a shock. Also, ask the person you usually deal with, more than likely they have been moved over to Celebrity!

Hello folks,

Thank you!

Jennie

I have two cruises booked for April both had price drops but I was refused even trying on different days to ask

I was also refused an upgrade last week when the prices really dropped

But reading on the roll call for our cruise some folks now have their friends joining them because of the terrific price drops but they live in the US

But that's life.;);)

But reading on the roll call for our cruise some folks now have their friends joining them because of the terrific price drops but they live in the US

But that's life.;);)

Perhaps as UK residents we all need to start dealing with a travel agents in the USA - they seem to be able to deliver decent service and also sort things out when there are price drops. The plus side is that they aren't in Guatemala! LOL

Out of curiosity - can UK residents call up RCI in the USA and book directly with them?

Oh and another thing, even though you always had a few options to select to get you through to the correct department when it was based in the UK, the options now are so convoluted it is a joke.

Press option 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, and on and on. I got to one place where it thought I wanted to talk about flights, but I had not selected that option and only kept repeated the options. I gave up and started again selecting other options to get through.

Well, I guess I was very very very lucky when I called recently to request a price drop!!!

I did get through to the Guatemala call centre and I struggled with the first person. I was explaining that my category cabin had dropped in price, that I wanted my reservation to be matched to it. The guy kept repeating my current rate and reservation details. I kept reiterating that yes, that is my CURRENT information. But I would like that to be CHANGED to match the deal currently available.

He kept going round and round, repeating himself, until I asked for a supervisor. A man who sounded like he was from the US took over and immediately said there was no way he could change my reservation to match. I quoted the T's&C's which clearly state that provided the difference in price is at least 2%, they can raise OR lower a reservation rate. I stated, very clearly, that my Category Z inside cabin was booked at a rate of £xxx per person and it was now on offer for £200 less per person, for the exact same Category Z inside cabin room. He told me because I had already had a room assigned to us, that technically my reservation was now an N category room (or similar). I explained we were aware we would have to give up our assigned room but we were willing to do this, and that would mean we had a Category Z inside cabin again. He technically then hung up on me, but claimed that the call dropped. He 'tried' to call me back but was one digit short. I called back in, and was able to get reconnected to him (magically!).

Anyway -- at this point he said, he could not change the reservation because I had already had a cabin assigned. I asked him to please find a solution to do so. He put me on hold, came back, and said he would have to drop my OBC ($400) and remove the reservation but then he could match the price online.

YES PLEASE! Considering it was savings of £400 (approximately $666 converted) this was more than the $400OBC and it meant we had savings up front, and not 'forced' to spend $400 onboard (although we likely will as it is a 2week cruise and we like the extras).

In any case -- I am one of those rare success stories! I honestly believe that I will continue to book through the US moving forward though, as I am a US citizen (OH is a UK citizen) so I still can book directly through the US! If the price matching doesn't apply in the UK like I thought it did then there's no point. We will keep an eye out for upgrade possibilities but I won't hold my breath for a lower rate on the cruise itself. We have booked our two previous cruises (when I was in the UK) through the US side of things and never had any real problems, so I guess it will definitely be worth it moving forward.

Well, I guess I was very very very lucky when I called recently to request a price drop!!!

I did get through to the Guatemala call centre and I struggled with the first person. I was explaining that my category cabin had dropped in price, that I wanted my reservation to be matched to it. The guy kept repeating my current rate and reservation details. I kept reiterating that yes, that is my CURRENT information. But I would like that to be CHANGED to match the deal currently available.

He kept going round and round, repeating himself, until I asked for a supervisor. A man who sounded like he was from the US took over and immediately said there was no way he could change my reservation to match. I quoted the T's&C's which clearly state that provided the difference in price is at least 2%, they can raise OR lower a reservation rate. I stated, very clearly, that my Category Z inside cabin was booked at a rate of £xxx per person and it was now on offer for £200 less per person, for the exact same Category Z inside cabin room. He told me because I had already had a room assigned to us, that technically my reservation was now an N category room (or similar). I explained we were aware we would have to give up our assigned room but we were willing to do this, and that would mean we had a Category Z inside cabin again. He technically then hung up on me, but claimed that the call dropped. He 'tried' to call me back but was one digit short. I called back in, and was able to get reconnected to him (magically!).

Anyway -- at this point he said, he could not change the reservation because I had already had a cabin assigned. I asked him to please find a solution to do so. He put me on hold, came back, and said he would have to drop my OBC ($400) and remove the reservation but then he could match the price online.

YES PLEASE! Considering it was savings of £400 (approximately $666 converted) this was more than the $400OBC and it meant we had savings up front, and not 'forced' to spend $400 onboard (although we likely will as it is a 2week cruise and we like the extras).

In any case -- I am one of those rare success stories! I honestly believe that I will continue to book through the US moving forward though, as I am a US citizen (OH is a UK citizen) so I still can book directly through the US! If the price matching doesn't apply in the UK like I thought it did then there's no point. We will keep an eye out for upgrade possibilities but I won't hold my breath for a lower rate on the cruise itself. We have booked our two previous cruises (when I was in the UK) through the US side of things and never had any real problems, so I guess it will definitely be worth it moving forward.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I will not bother much with RC UK unless I find and awesome deal, and it is already after final payment. I had been debating on how I would book after moving to UK. I think I will stick with my US TA most of the time.

@londongal796 - good on you for getting your price drop. We are still fighting for ours. We were told to email through to Escalations providing screenshots of the price we could see. Days later, the price has gone out of the system and they still haven't even bothered to even acknowledge the email. I can see a fight coming on.....

@londongal796 - good on you for getting your price drop. We are still fighting for ours. We were told to email through to Escalations providing screenshots of the price we could see. Days later, the price has gone out of the system and they still haven't even bothered to even acknowledge the email. I can see a fight coming on.....

Arguing by email is almost pointless, although I did have success once when a 'supervisor' I spoke to absolutely would not relent on a very ridiculous and minor point (it was over $25OBC that we should have received as my father came on a cruise with us, his first one, it was that 'Refer a Friend' bonus). Anyway, I emailed HER supervisor and managed to get a reply within a day in the positive.

I would maybe try ringing in again, try speaking to a supervisor, and if you still do not have success, ask for that persons supervisor's details and email them directly.

I'm still not quite sure how I was successful other than that I thought I knew I was right--I'd read two other threads about price matching in the UK where posters said specifically that the rules were essentially as they are in the US, but what I didn't pay attention to was that these posts were from 2011!!:

Price Reductions on Royal Caribbean UK

How do Price Drops Work in the UK?

Oh well!!! I guess I was just incredibly confident and I also had ready the Booking Terms and Conditions and I did not find a single thing that said they would NOT honour price matches/drops. I am definitely going to book through the US moving forward though! Even though it is a bit of a hassle!

Perhaps as UK residents we all need to start dealing with a travel agents in the USA - they seem to be able to deliver decent service and also sort things out when there are price drops. The plus side is that they aren't in Guatemala! LOL

Out of curiosity - can UK residents call up RCI in the USA and book directly with them?

I called the RCI Miami office directly and booked with them, here's the number for international guests

001 (305) 341-0204 from the UK

We had to cancel in the end, they moved the eldest boys school holidays, we got a full refund.

I tried to book a new cruise with Celebrity but not allowed to book direct from the UK according to the customer service rep. Phoned Celebrity UK price quoted was £4900 + classic drinks package for 2

So we booked with an US travel agent price $4900 (£2900) and classic drinks package for 2 + $350 OBC

Damon

@londongal796 - we are going take your advice and try calling... although I am not sure Guatemala will play ball as the price is no longer in the system.

@nomad098: we may just give the USA office a shot when we next need to book a cruise. It would make things so much easier if we could just book via the RCI USA website.

I am not sure on the rules on this forum - but are we allowed to mention particular travel agents or is that a naughty no-no?

@londongal796 - we are going take your advice and try calling... although I am not sure Guatemala will play ball as the price is no longer in the system.

@nomad098: we may just give the USA office a shot when we next need to book a cruise. It would make things so much easier if we could just book via the RCI USA website.

I am not sure on the rules on this forum - but are we allowed to mention particular travel agents or is that a naughty no-no?

Travel agents are definitely not allowed to be mentioned but I will be chatting to people on my next cruise to find a reputable one. I tried googling but then wasn't sure which ones to trust when agents' names came up.

Travel agents are definitely not allowed to be mentioned but I will be chatting to people on my next cruise to find a reputable one. I tried googling but then wasn't sure which ones to trust when agents' names came up.

Thanks for the heads up - I don't wanna go getting myself into any trouble.

I am fortunate enough to have a very good travel agent here in the UK, who still has connections with the team in the UK offices!

A call by him re a significant price drop to the overseas call centre resulted in him being told no can do, a subsequent email to my t/a's contact resulted in the invoice being adjusted down to the new price - it can be done.

Not likely to happen if you deal direct, unless maybe you go via Crown and Anchor reps?

if it s a TA you may have some problems. if RCCL booking no problems IMHO call C&A directly.