Maho beach plane schedule ?

wwc

Is there anyway I can see what planes are scheduled for my day at St.martin to go see the planes land at Maho beach before i actually show up there ?

We want to spend some time relaxing at a nice beach and maybe a little shopping but we want to see some big planes and hate to waste too much time waiting there.

What is a don't miss beach at St. martin.

We are going to take a cab to a beach and see the planes at Maho, any tips?

Maho isn't a very pretty beach IMO, the big attraction is the planes. I thought Orient was much nicer, just avoid the nude side if you've got delicate sensibilities.

I'm not sure where you'll find a plane schedule for Maho, but I'm sure someone will know where to find one. If you want to save some money you can catch one of the public busses over there. They pick up by the old courthouse, it's about $2 per person.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Maho isn't a very pretty beach IMO, the big attraction is the planes. I thought Orient was much nicer, just avoid the nude side if you've got delicate sensibilities.

I'm not sure where you'll find a plane schedule for Maho, but I'm sure someone will know where to find one. If you want to save some money you can catch one of the public busses over there. They pick up by the old courthouse, it's about $2 per person.

Would you recommend Orient for a decent beach to hang out and to maybe do some snorkeling? We have our own gear.

You can find the plane schedule at the Sunset Bar & Grill website:

http://sunsetsxm.com/

The big planes usually land in the early afternoon. When we went, we took a cab to Orient Beach in the morning and then caught a cab to Maho mid-morning. The biggest problem that we had was that the cab drivers only wanted to go back and forth to the port so it took awhile to find someone willing to drive us from the beach to Maho. We missed the biggest plane come in while waiting on the driver.

Even though the beach is small at Maho, it can be a nice place to spend a beach day (although not as nice as some of the other beaches).

The driver who took us to Maho arranged to have another driver to meet us at a designated time to take us back to port. I've heard that traffic can be a big problem coming back (it wasn't for us), so allow plenty of time to get back to port from Maho. Our driver showed up right on time. I've had a few experiences in St. Maarten where the arranged taxi never showed, so keep that in mind.

Also, you may want to consider doing a tour. A lot of people on my cruise took a tour with Bernard's and they went to both Orient Beach and Maho, along with some time in Marigot. They probably spent about the same amount to do the tour that we did paying all the different cab fares going from place to place.

We were just at Maho on our Celebrity Reflection cruise (awesome ship, by the way!). There were planes coming in, one after the other. It was fun to see, but if you are looking for a beach, I would not go there. It was very small. We learned that we could have taken a water taxi at the pier, just a few minutes across the water, and the beach looked much nicer. Have fun!

Thanks for the great link with the flight schedules. We were there a few weeks back on a weekday from 10am till 2 pm and the planes were non stop about every 10 minutes. At least half were large jets.

We took the 2 dollar Maho "Bus" = van. Great deal. If you get tired of Maho you can hike down to Mullett beach in about 10 minutes.

There's a post with map here:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=710421&page=3

Would you recommend Orient for a decent beach to hang out and to maybe do some snorkeling? We have our own gear.

I can't help with the snorkeling, I've never snorkeled at any of the St. Maarten beaches. But if I were going to a beach just to hang out and swim it would definitely be at Orient. There are pictures of both beaches in my Jewel of the Seas repositioning cruise review which is linked in my signature.

It's not really a good beach for snorkeling because it has waves that churn up the sand. It's a wonderful beach for swimming or water sports or just hanging out.

Is mullet beach a good calm water beach ?

I didn't realize it was a 15 minute walk from mullet to maho beach.

I was thinking about a Bernard tour but I don't want all the tourist trap stuff of lizards and sea critters plus TIPS, am i making it a bigger deal than it is ?

I like the feeling of no worries about knowing plane schedules or traffic delays schedule times to make it back to port.

Is it not a big deal though to just take cabs to orient and Maho and back to port and skip the tourist stuff ?

how does mullet compare to orient beach ?

a few questions on Maho

We have to be back on the ship at 4 (wife wants a nice buffer).

I have the simpson bridge schedule downloaded, but which way is considered inbound vs outbound? I dont want to get stuck on the bridge as i hear it can take a long long time for it to go up.

If we were to get stuck at the bridge for an extended period of time, can we walk a ways down from the bridge and then catch a cab on the side of the road? (i know how that sounds, wife is making me ask)

and finally, their website (sunset bar and grill) says there are cabs waiting right outside the bar, is this correct? So at any time we want to head back we can just jump in one? Plan B if this isn't the case is to offer my driver an extra $20 or so if he picks us up at the beach right at 3pm (after the 747's come in of course)

Thanks for the help in advance. Bucket list item number 1 right here :D

a few questions on Maho

We have to be back on the ship at 4 (wife wants a nice buffer).

I have the simpson bridge schedule downloaded, but which way is considered inbound vs outbound? I dont want to get stuck on the bridge as i hear it can take a long long time for it to go up.

If we were to get stuck at the bridge for an extended period of time, can we walk a ways down from the bridge and then catch a cab on the side of the road? (i know how that sounds, wife is making me ask)

and finally, their website (sunset bar and grill) says there are cabs waiting right outside the bar, is this correct? So at any time we want to head back we can just jump in one? Plan B if this isn't the case is to offer my driver an extra $20 or so if he picks us up at the beach right at 3pm (after the 747's come in of course)

Thanks for the help in advance. Bucket list item number 1 right here :D

Yes, there are always cabs hanging around the Sunset Grill area.

I can't help with the bridge question, I never looked into it before.

I agree about Orient Beach. It is always a must see for me when I go to St. Martin. I must admit I don't mind the nude beach, even though I do not join in lol. It was a little awkward running into our newly made cruise friends though. Haven't been to Maho yet, but plan to this November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there anyway I can see what planes are scheduled for my day at St.martin to go see the planes land at Maho beach before i actually show up there ?

We want to spend some time relaxing at a nice beach and maybe a little shopping but we want to see some big planes and hate to waste too much time waiting there.

What is a don't miss beach at St. martin.

We are going to take a cab to a beach and see the planes at Maho, any tips?

Go to flight stats.com/SXM. -- you can see all scheduled arrivals. Generally the large planes from US and Europe come in between noon and two PM. You probably want to hit a good beach before Maho, because you won't have much time after the large planes arrive and still get back to the ship through afternoon traffic.