Venice cruise terminal to railway station

We will be arriving in Venice at the main cruise ship terminal and need to go to the railway station to pick up our Venice passes. Our luggage will still be on the ship so we won't need to worry about "shlepping"! Is it possible to walk from one to the other, or do we take a land taxi? Any "guidance" would be appreciated!

Fran

Hi Fran,

This is the website for the Cruise Terminal in Venice - if you click on "Map", it shows where the train station is in relation to the terminal. The cruise ship schedule tells you which berth the ship will be in. According to the driving directions, it says a "2 minute taxi ride to Piazzale Roma" & from what I've read, it's a short walk.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociere.jsp?m=2

We did exactly this on our Golden Princess cruise in the Med in 2003. Be sure to have cash (euros) to pay for your Venice card as the booth there did not accept credit cards or at least they didn't on the day we were there. Luckily between the two of us we were able to come up with enough euros to pay for the cards. The walk is uphill from the port and then across a short bridge where you get a pretty good view of the land bridges (causeways?) that connect Venice to the mainland. Then you go downhill by the parking garages and into the Piazzo Roma where the booth for picking up the tickets was.

You can then go down to the railroad station where there is a waterbus stop where you can catch either waterbus 1 or 82 both of which go down the Grand Canal and end up at St Mark's square. It is a great way to start your visit in Venice.

The walk is perfectly doable and is a good introduction to the walking you will be doing during your stay in Venice.

Have a great next cruise.

I think I saw a website for Venice Cards that said that you could buy them at the airport so I didn't give it a thought. Is it true or would I have been searching in vain for the ticket booth at the airport ??

Thanks "wwinfl91" - we've been in Venice before, and I have several maps of the port area, but I wasn't sure if it was "walkable" - we plan to buy the Venice card on line before we go as I understand there is a slight reduction in price (and we won't need to worry about the euro issue). My hope was that we wouldn't have to take a taxi - water or land - to pick up the card.

By the way, "Tyleen", according to the Venice card site, there is a pick-up location at the airport.

I have also been told that it is very important to bring your receipts and documentation with you when you pick it up, as there are occasionally errors - also watch the dates you put in if you buy on line as they are set up for the European system (date, month, year).

Fran

Archived