Document Question

Birth certificates no longer have raised seals. The last one I obtained 20 years ago had an official stamp in red ink. The certificate (short form!) was printed on special paper.

That's what I thought. I just pulled my family birth certificates out, and they don't have raised seals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Birth certificates no longer have raised seals. The last one I obtained 20 years ago had an official stamp in red ink. The certificate (short form!) was printed on special paper.

That's what I thought. I just pulled my family birth certificates out, and they don't have raised seals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It really depends on state, and maybe even county.

Mine from CA has a raised seal. DH and DS's from WA have flat, swirly-colored ink, seals. All are certified birth certificates, totally legal, got everyone passports in the last couple years.

Different states do things differently.

The "short form" 1953 BC (private adoption) form is what caused me to have an UNBELIEVABLE problem to obtain my passport..As stated an another thread...so...again..If anyone is out there using a NJ short form..it will not be accepted as a document for a passport....The only thing I can say is that adopted individuals are being discriminated against.

I have travelled as a single mom with my 2 kids. they are now 20 and almost 18. I have always travelled with their birth certificates and in recent year passports. I have never been asked even once about parental permission to travel with them either getting on any ship or through customs leaving Canada to the U.S. Not once! I was always prepared but never ever asked!

I an originally from uk and now live in us. Took DD back to UK one year without my DH got to UK no problem. Trying to travel home with her was when I got interrogated! I could understand concern maybe leaving but trying to return home?

Even when we travelled back into us with her several times when she was young customs have asked her to confirm if she knew who we were and her name even with all of us having passports!

Point is depends on where traveling to and from. Different places different rules, even within the same country sometimes. You never know when you MIGHT encounter.

The "short form" 1953 BC (private adoption) form is what caused me to have an UNBELIEVABLE problem to obtain my passport..As stated an another thread...so...again..If anyone is out there using a NJ short form..it will not be accepted as a document for a passport....The only thing I can say is that adopted individuals are being discriminated against.

I don't know the difference between a long form and a short form in NJ, but in SC the short form doesn't list the parents' names, only the long form does that. Are you saying that you are not able to obtain a long form BC with your adoptive parents' names on it? :confused:

Hi Meg...short version of my year long trek to get a passport. Yes short for in NJ no parents name on it...how tough should it be to get a long form..OK request from the state of NJ wanted ID that I was the person requesting the long form.."please furnish us with your DL....done..faxed...A week later email...Please send us your marriage certificates...ok..sent marriage number 2..informed state that I did not have marriage cert. for number one..Also requesting copy from you miss state of nj. Here's where it got real stupid...2 different people handling By and ML...do you think they would talk to each other..nope...Both people were asking for the other persons needed documents....weeks pass..months pass..called state of NJ congressmen and senators for help...nothing..called fla congressmen again nothing...my last stand before explosion..Marco Rubio's office...."I think we can help you "...I cried...they walked my passport application thru....After 6 months of screaming...voicing adoption discrimination. ..bingo..Two weeks of calling Marco's office....passport in my hands

Hi Meg...short version of my year long trek to get a passport. Yes short for in NJ no parents name on it...how tough should it be to get a long form..OK request from the state of NJ wanted ID that I was the person requesting the long form.."please furnish us with your DL....done..faxed...A week later email...Please send us your marriage certificates...ok..sent marriage number 2..informed state that I did not have marriage cert. for number one..Also requesting copy from you miss state of nj. Here's where it got real stupid...2 different people handling By and ML...do you think they would talk to each other..nope...Both people were asking for the other persons needed documents....weeks pass..months pass..called state of NJ congressmen and senators for help...nothing..called fla congressmen again nothing...my last stand before explosion..Marco Rubio's office...."I think we can help you "...I cried...they walked my passport application thru....After 6 months of screaming...voicing adoption discrimination. ..bingo..Two weeks of calling Marco's office....passport in my hands

I guess I'm still confused as to what this has to do with being adopted. It sounds like the issue is that the paper trail that connects your maiden name to your first and then second married names was missing a piece, i.e. the marriage cert from marriage #1. And that paper trail would be needed no matter who you are, adopted or not, right? :confused:

(FYI, I am adopted as well)

Yes you are correct....but I needed to start the paper trail..thus the needed long form.. All is well..I'm just frustrated as to WHY all the paper trail.. I had my DL with both marriages on it.. Sigh

Your DL doesn't prove citizenship, only identity. You need the birth certificate to prove citizenship in order to get a passport and it has to be the long form showing both parents' names.

If the names on the two documents are different, they need to be linked via marriage certificates etc. to show that both refer to the same person.

It's the same rules whether a person is adopted or not, so I really don't think it was a case of discrimination against you for being adopted.