Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach

vfb2girls

Thinking now that we will be sailing out of Port Canaveral on the Liberty and I need some advice on hotels. We will be flying into MCO and grab the shuttle service.Since we are not renting a car where would be the best place to chose a hotel. I was leaning toward the Port Canaveral area but am afraid without a car there isn't much to do. One of our options would be to take a taxi to the Space Center which does interest us. but then again I am thinking we should stay nearer to Cocoa Beach where there are things to do and they would be walkable. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

I was leaning toward the Port Canaveral area but am afraid without a car there isn't much to do. One of our options would be to take a taxi to the Space Center which does interest us.

Are you spending a full day or more b4 your cruise? KSC tickets start at $53 and if you spend less than the full day you don't C much of the 'good stuff' IMO. Don't plan to go for a couple of hours IMO . . .

(if going to KSC, contact your congress persons ... they may be able to get you free tickets)

renting a car for the day would cost less than the taxi to KSC .... renting a car for the drive from MCO to the port /Cocoa area would cost less than a shuttle for 2 people . . .

without a car.... I am thinking we should stay nearer to Cocoa Beach where there are things to do and they would be walkable

hmmmmmm ... not sure I agree .. and I live here ...

The 'beach' hotels tend to not be on the beach actually .... there is no boardwalk along the beach ... and the better places to eat are as spread out as the hotels. (The International Palms, while an older property IS on the beach and there are several places to eat inside the property and a decent pizza place and Dennys across the street as well as some mom&pops.) A hotel close to Cocoa Beach Pier might fit you .... but not much to walk to other than what's on the pier.

OTOH the 'port' places are pretty close to the port 'trifecta' rest's: Grills/Rustys/Fishlips ... decent eats for not too much money, entertainment on the weekends, and watch the ships depart around 5pm (if any depart on the day in question)

my 2 cents .... welcome to where I live . . .

We will be spending two nights before our cruise so one full day we would spend at Kennedy Space Center. How much would a taxi cost to Kennedy Space Center from a Port Canaveral hotel? There will be 4 of us.

I'm staying at LaQuinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront. It is right next to the pier. There are restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance. I'm not too sure what else is around, but what I've found is enough for me. The pier has entertainment on the week-ends.

I'm staying at LaQuinta Inn & Suites Oceanfront. It is right next to the pier. There are restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance. I'm not too sure what else is around, but what I've found is enough for me. The pier has entertainment on the week-ends.

We just booked the LaQuinta Inn & Suites for precruise stay as well. Even if there isn't a ton of stuff close by, there is the pier and the beach right there. We are flying in on Halloween and probably wont reach the hotel until 7:30 or so. My hope was to then just be able to walk over to the pier and go in one the the few restaurants there instead of driving somewhere after a long travel day.

My fear is that with it being Halloween AND a Friday night, that by 7:30 the wait at any of these restaurants on the pier will be crazy long and the it will be pretty rowdy

We just booked the LaQuinta Inn & Suites for precruise stay as well. Even if there isn't a ton of stuff close by, there is the pier and the beach right there. We are flying in on Halloween and probably wont reach the hotel until 7:30 or so. My hope was to then just be able to walk over to the pier and go in one the the few restaurants there instead of driving somewhere after a long travel day.

My fear is that with it being Halloween AND a Friday night, that by 7:30 the wait at any of these restaurants on the pier will be crazy long and the it will be pretty rowdy

I don't know if you have a car, if not, there is a Boston Beef and Seafood restaurant within walking distance, and a few more across the street where the Publix is, I believe.

We will be spending two nights before our cruise so one full day we would spend at Kennedy Space Center. How much would a taxi cost to Kennedy Space Center from a Port Canaveral hotel? There will be 4 of us.

First, you really should put renting a car back on the table. If you can't drive (no license) that is another story, but it just opens up so many more doors for you. From cheaper hotels to more attractions. Heck with 2 nights pre cruise you could throw Orlando on the table with a car. You won't have to pay for the shuttle or taxi. Just car/gas and parking fee at KSC. Driving in Florida in general is much easier than other big cities/states because there are highways all over.

Taxi to KSC is going to run you roughly $100 R/T.

I think you will have plenty to do so I wouldn't worry about the Cocoa Beach/Canaveral decision on where to stay (assuming you do not rent a car). KSC will take up an entire day, so breakfast, KSC (lunch) and dinner . . . that day is done with a hotel pool (assuming this will be the night before the cruise). So you really just need to do something the day you fly in.

I don't know if you have a car, if not, there is a Boston Beef and Seafood restaurant within walking distance, and a few more across the street where the Publix is, I believe.

Thanks Nonnie! Have you eaten there before? I've not really started reading any reviews for restaurants in the area. But I will. There's nothing worse than going on vacation, picking a place to have a meal for some Local food rather than a chain restaurant, and then finding out that is was not a good place to pick after you eat. ;)

Thanks Nonnie! Have you eaten there before? I've not really started reading any reviews for restaurants in the area. But I will. There's nothing worse than going on vacation, picking a place to have a meal for some Local food rather than a chain restaurant, and then finding out that is was not a good place to pick after you eat. ;)

This will be my first time. I have read good and bad reviews. I'm going to give it a shot. There's nothing like New England seafood.

There's nothing worse than going on vacation, picking a place to have a meal for some Local food

Boston Beef and Seafood restaurant

I have many friends who like this place because they bring northern foods down here to Florida ... all my New England friends like this place ...

But if looking for LOCAL foods .... this IS Florida we're talking about isn't it?

just sayin' ... but it's something I constantly chuckle over. Many folks come to Florida and want to know where to get fresh King Crab . . . .

sort of like being in Alaska and asking where to get good Key Lime pie.

First, you really should put renting a car back on the table. If you can't drive (no license) that is another story, but it just opens up so many more doors for you. From cheaper hotels to more attractions. Heck with 2 nights pre cruise you could throw Orlando on the table with a car. You won't have to pay for the shuttle or taxi. Just car/gas and parking fee at KSC. Driving in Florida in general is much easier than other big cities/states because there are highways all over.

Taxi to KSC is going to run you roughly $100 R/T.

I think you will have plenty to do so I wouldn't worry about the Cocoa Beach/Canaveral decision on where to stay (assuming you do not rent a car). KSC will take up an entire day, so breakfast, KSC (lunch) and dinner . . . that day is done with a hotel pool (assuming this will be the night before the cruise). So you really just need to do something the day you fly in.

From my research and everyone's helpful advice we will be renting a car when we get to Port Canaveral. It is so much cheaper plus having the freedom to come and go is a huge plus.

I would recommend not staying directly on the beach. Each time we have, the rooms smell very musty. We stayed at a Best Western, Wakula Suites and International Palms and they were all musty. Try the Four Points.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I would recommend not staying directly on the beach. Each time we have, the rooms smell very musty. We stayed at a Best Western, Wakula Suites and International Palms and they were all musty. Try the Four Points.

Certainly not uncommon at Florida hotels near the beach (and in general). The humidity, the moisture from guests going to the pool and beach (damp carpets), the crazy weather . . . not a good combo. Being form Florida, we bring air fresheners to all Florida hotel visits (and on all ships).

For what it's worth, these three are all much older properties. They were here when I first got here in the mid 80's and while they get 'freshened' there are some things you can't cure . . .

There's nothing worse than going on vacation, picking a place to have a meal for some Local food

Boston Beef and Seafood restaurant

I have many friends who like this place because they bring northern foods down here to Florida ... all my New England friends like this place ...

But if looking for LOCAL foods .... this IS Florida we're talking about isn't it?

just sayin' ... but it's something I constantly chuckle over. Many folks come to Florida and want to know where to get fresh King Crab . . . .

sort of like being in Alaska and asking where to get good Key Lime pie.

Capt_BJ,

What are your recommendations for Cocoa Beach restaurants? Particularly something close to the LaQuinta Inn and Suites.

Again, it's going to be Halloween, 7 or 730 pm. I'm guessing things may be starting to get a little crazy around that time but maybe that's just where I live. :rolleyes:

We don't necessarily want quiet, I'm guessing DH just wont want to walk in and have to wait for an hour to sit. Your suggestions?

you will be walking distance to the pier and while the food isn't the BEST I've ever had .. it isn't bad and the VIEW is the BEST you'll find around here, looking north to the port and the lighthouse along the beach ...

http://cocoabeachpier.com/cbp/restaurants-bars-on-the-cocoa-beach-pier/atlantic-ocean-grille/

I'd call for a reservation b4 heading over ... and there are several other places on the pier for a drink b4 or after

if you have a car, less cost and a bit more informal is any of the three over in the port, the trifecta I call 'em: Grills/Fishlips/Rustys. All sit right on the channel and r decent - not fancy - family friendly. I prefer Grills myself as more of the menu is grilled rather than fried but locals are probably equally split over the three and often if their favorite is too busy, are perfectly happy to walk over to the next. No ressies here but turnover is usually pretty fast.

Going the other direction (south .. port is north) Coconuts is right on the ocean. If the weather cooperates you can eat outside right on the beach. Food similar to the trifecta ... great view but not as good as the pier. If it is windy or cool skip this one tho.

you will be walking distance to the pier and while the food isn't the BEST I've ever had .. it isn't bad and the VIEW is the BEST you'll find around here, looking north to the port and the lighthouse along the beach ...

http://cocoabeachpier.com/cbp/restaurants-bars-on-the-cocoa-beach-pier/atlantic-ocean-grille/

I'd call for a reservation b4 heading over ... and there are several other places on the pier for a drink b4 or after

if you have a car, less cost and a bit more informal is any of the three over in the port, the trifecta I call 'em: Grills/Fishlips/Rustys. All sit right on the channel and r decent - not fancy - family friendly. I prefer Grills myself as more of the menu is grilled rather than fried but locals are probably equally split over the three and often if their favorite is too busy, are perfectly happy to walk over to the next. No ressies here but turnover is usually pretty fast.

Going the other direction (south .. port is north) Coconuts is right on the ocean. If the weather cooperates you can eat outside right on the beach. Food similar to the trifecta ... great view but not as good as the pier. If it is windy or cool skip this one tho.

Awesome. Thanks so much. We'll have the rental car until the morning of the cruise. I figured we'd try one of the three at the port on Saturday when we could go a little earlier than the rush, maybe around 5.

But for Friday evening, our flight doesn't land in Orlando until 5:45 pm. With it being close to 7 before we get to the hotel and such, I figured it would be easier to walk over to the pier. There are multiple restaurants there correct? I wonder if it would make sense for us to call a day or two before we go to make a reservation at one of them for around 7:15. Provided our flight arrives on time that is.

My personal favorite is Fishlips. It has a great view of departing ships and a great food to boot. Be sure to try the shrimp dumplings and the grouper sandwich! We have seen Freedom of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Carnival Dream, and Disney Dream depart from there.

only one I'd eat dinner at would be Atlantic Ocean Grill and I would make a ressie on a Friday. Odds are you could call from the car and be OK. When I've walked up on a Fri or Sat wait has been about an hour ... that's less than the drive time.

I think your 7:15 is a wee bit optimistic between picking up a rental and stopping at the hotel . .

I think your 7:15 is a wee bit optimistic between picking up a rental and stopping at the hotel . .

I think it's very optimistic :p. I'd be betting on 8 p.m. as a good time to get off plane, get bags, pick up the rental, drive to PC, check in to the hotel and then head to dinner (assuming nobody wants to freshen up first). 8 p.m IMO would be "making good time". Reservations at 8:30 p.m. seem likely.

Edited by kdawg954

From my research and everyone's helpful advice we will be renting a car when we get to Port Canaveral. It is so much cheaper plus having the freedom to come and go is a huge plus.

If you or anyone in your party has a warehouse membership, book through their travel online. I got dirt cheap one-way car rentals from MCO to Tampa booking through my warehouse membership and I kept watching the price and canceling/rebooking when the price dropped. I think one way was under $25! Just a tip. :)