Sugar Free Desserts on Gem?

tel2

Leaving on Gem next week, and just learned today that I am diabetic. God, I hate getting old - it is just one thing after another once you hit that middle-age mark.

This sucks. I am a complete chocoholic. And my next favorite food is bread. Like the pretzel rolls that I been salivating about since my last cruise. Great, a vacation with no sugar and extremely limited carbs. How do people learn to do this????? I guess if I quit smoking, I can do this, but since it has never been an issue for me, I never paid any attention at all to whether there is a reasonable selection of sugar-free treats. Are there at least some decent dessert choices that are sugar-free? How about sugar-free frozen yogurt or ice cream?

Terry

My husband had several of the sugar free desserts, including chocolate ones, on our Epic cruise in January and he said they were very good. I tasted a couple of them and was surprised that they were sugar free, so you should be pleased. Have a great cruise!

Leaving on Gem next week, and just learned today that I am diabetic. God, I hate getting old - it is just one thing after another once you hit that middle-age mark.

This sucks. I am a complete chocoholic. And my next favorite food is bread. Like the pretzel rolls that I been salivating about since my last cruise. Great, a vacation with no sugar and extremely limited carbs. How do people learn to do this????? I guess if I quit smoking, I can do this, but since it has never been an issue for me, I never paid any attention at all to whether there is a reasonable selection of sugar-free treats. Are there at least some decent dessert choices that are sugar-free? How about sugar-free frozen yogurt or ice cream?

Terry

It is usually one sugar-free dessert on the menu in the main dining rooms, and it change every day. It is also advised that you contact the NCL Access Desk BEFORE you cruise - accessdesk@ncl.com.

This is what is stated on their web site regarding food allergies and diabetes:

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guest with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin.

Hope this is the information you were looking for. :)

Thanks everyone! Sugar free chocolate? Didn't even know there was such a thing. But I am sure within the next few months I will test every possible high end brand until I find the best out there. I clearly have a big learning curve.

if the diabetes is not too bad/under control, tell each waiter at the beginning of the meal, you need sugar free desserts...

in the buffet, they have two fruit drinks, mango/strawberry and both are sugar and carb free

get a few boxes of ATKINS BARS, net carbs are between 2 and 5 depending upon the bar...

exercise: will raise your metabolism and burn sugar

anything that comes with a starch can be ordered without the starch and double the protein..

remember it's not about sugar, it's about carbs

when you absolutely need a snack, there's always cheese available at the buffet; you might want to keep some in your room

my husband has been diabetic 17 years and with meds and exercise and diet, he has been able to stay away from insulin...even on the many cruises we've taken...

best of luck,

sonja

I just wanted to post something that not too many people are aware of. I have been type 1 diabetic for over 40 years now and just because it says "sugar-free" does not mean you can eat it. Normally "sugar-free" items have more carbs in them than the same items that are not sugar-free. So you still have to count the carbs in sugar-free stuff. I don't know how they get away with saying "sugar-free" is safe for diabetics to eat as they are just the same as any other food due to the carbs. Just keep that in mind if you decide to try the sugar-free desserts and don't be surprised when it makes your blood sugar rise.

Speak with your MD about diabetic education classes at your local hospital or medical center. Your insurance may also cover a series of individual instruction classes with a certified diabetic educator, a dietician who specializes in your area of need who works directly with your PCP in monitoring your blood glucose levels.

Those so called sugar free foods can be some of the worse choices due to the carbohydrates they contain. My Mom was Type II, insulin dependent, and managed to travel the world while keeping her A1C at optimal levels.

Darcy

I usually prefer sugar-free chocolate to regular chocolate. Just be aware that too much of the sugar-free chocolate can do "a thing" to your digestive system.

Be sure to try it before you go on a cruise to see how it may impact you.

njsonja quick question is the sugar free mango strawberry a juice or is it flavored water ? and is it free at the buffet or do you have to have a card for it? I am also diabetic and had gastric bypass surgery so I am unable to drink anything other than caffeine free sugar free and non carbonated any suggestions?