Cozumel experts, any advice?

surrocruiser

We are looking for an inexpensive way to enjoy Cozumel or possibly something on the mainland. We like beaches but aren't that interested for long. We love history and scenery but ruins are pretty expensive. Really enjoy having lunch at a unique restaurant with a local flare, usually we just split meals to try a little of everything if possible. While doing any and all of these, I am on a mission to take tons of pictures. I need vacation/scenery pics for my website.

So, what would you recommend? Right now, we have thought about taking the ferry to playa del Carmen and walking 5th ave and maybe the beaches there but we are open to anything!

Have you thought of renting a vehicle or hiring a driver for the day?

These options allow you to plan your own day as you go. My family hired a driver and we got a chance to tour downtown, learn about the history of the island, visit San Gervasio (the local ruins--not expensive at all), and tour the east side of the island. After that, we went to Paradise Beach for a while, and then back downtown for some souvenir shopping before boarding the ship. We had a blast!

The ruins are small--not as spectacular as those on the mainland, but interesting if you like history. We spent an hour there, and learned a lot.

The east side of Cozumel is wild, with a few bar/restaurants that run completely on generator power (no electricity on that side so take cash if you go). The most beautiful scenery and photo ops, and fun things to see and do...a little beach time, try one of the restaurants (Mezcalitos, Senor Iguanas, Rasta Bar, etc), check out the lighthouse, etc.

You might want to check out this thread on hiring a driver for the day. The last four or five pages are the most recent information. Tours Plaza, Crescenzio Lopez or other tour guides can help you plan your day. You can also google these options.

Another option is the Cozumel Bar Hop, another great way to see the east side of the island, and get a feel for the area.

Good luck planning your trip! :D

I know a lot of people will not encourage this but we had a blast one year renting scooters and driving around the island. We stopped at many different places along the way to enjoy the scenery and visited the ruins. It was a little scary getting out of the main area but after you get out of town there is a small paved path along the coast for scooters.

I have read horror stories about driving a rental vehicle in Mexico, and would not recommend it. US insurance doesn't cover you there.

We took the ferry to Playa Del Carmen last week from Cozumel. The ferry costs $13 per person each way. I don't recall if they take credit cards or not. Do not buy a round trip ticket. There are 2 companies that alternate but the tickets are only good for the same company so you could buy a round trip for one company but the ferry coming back might be the other one operating at that hour. The actual ferry ride takes about 30-35 minutes but allow about an hour each way for ticket purchase and loading/unloading.

There are beaches pretty close to the ferry in Playa, plus plenty of shopping and food options.

There are 3 cruise ports in Cozumel, plus the main ferry dock. If you are coming in Punta Langosta you'll be very close to the main ferry dock for the ferry to Playa Del Carmen. If you cruise into the International Pier or the Puerta Maya Pier, those are about 3 miles away from the main ferry dock, and a cab will be $8 each way for one or 2 people.