Cabin upgrade BE to BA - take it or not?

WouterC

I noticed a price drop this week and I contacted Norwegian through our TA.

They are offering a free upgrade to a a category BA, Mid-Ship on deck 12.

Currently we are booked in a category BE, cabin 10075 on deck 10.

I'm inclined to go for the upgrade. If anyone stayed in a room of this category, could you tell me what they are like?

Some first-hand advice would really help us make our decision.

One reason why I might not want the upgrade, is that our room 10075 has a slightly larger balcony, as you can see here: http://beyondships.com/images/Epic_10_Deck.gif .

Edited by WouterC

When I book a balcony cabin, I usually go for the BA category, just because they are midships and gives us easy access to every part of the ship. That is the only difference - except like you say that your original booking has a slightly larger balcony. I also enjoy being situated on one of the upper decks, both for views from our balcony and for easy access to the pool decks.

I took a look at your link, and realized that you are going on the Epic. I know that Epic has many balconies in the front of the ship that are kind of "build-in", and not as open as a regular balcony. These balconies are larger, but I would personally prefer a regular balcony... I am not certain if your cabin category is one of them or if your balcony is just a "regular" large one. If that is the case then I would be considering to stay were I am and not go for the upgrade....

Edited by TrumpyNOR

I tried to check for your original cabin location on deck 10 (10075), and stumbled over this photo. You will find your cabin 4 decks below the one that is highlighted in read, and then you just count 6 balconies to the left. Looks like your balcony is NOT obstructed in any way - BUT if you stand on your balcony and look down, your view is kind of obstructed by the life boats. If that doesn't bother you, then why not just keep the larger balcony cabin....

whnznd.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNOR

If you do a google search for NCL Epic 10075 the first link is to a cruise critic thread ....... see below for link and look at post #12 which includes small photos of the stateroom and a picture taken from the balcony. You have to be signed in to cruise critic to see the photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40350674

I like the bed by the balcony door and 10075 is nice distance from elevator banks and stairs. Being on 10 you are closer to the water which is nice for viewing sea creatures.

Yes, I'm aware of that thread.

We sailed in the Mediterranean twice, but never saw any sea creatures. Perhaps bad luck, or perhaps you're more likely to see them in the Caribbean?

Not sure what the policy of NCL is, whether they assign you a stateroom, or if you can pick one. But I gave my preference for a room with the bed near the balcony and also close to the elevators & stairs on deck 12, but not so close that noise would be a problem.

Wouter

If you do a google search for NCL Epic 10075 the first link is to a cruise critic thread ....... see below for link and look at post #12 which includes small photos of the stateroom and a picture taken from the balcony. You have to be signed in to cruise critic to see the photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40350674

I like the bed by the balcony door and 10075 is nice distance from elevator banks and stairs. Being on 10 you are closer to the water which is nice for viewing sea creatures.

Edited by WouterC

Well, we decided to go for the upgrade. I didn't get a reply yet, but I noticed in My Ncl that room number now says 12153! I told our preference for a still available cabin number, but Ncl assigned us another one.

Our Balcony is smaller, but deck is higher so good for the views and closeness to pool and buffet.

We're happy with the upgrade and the room, but I am wondering if this is how it usually goes with upgrades?

Edited by WouterC

• 1 month later...

So we noticed that the priced dropped again, and called our TA to see if we could rebook to a B9 spa balcony cabin for about $15 extra pp, since that's way cheaper at this price point than two spa passes.

From what I read on these boards, I figured that shouldn't be a problem.

However, it's been 4 or 5 days since the TA heard from Norwegian Cruiselines, and we are a couple of days before our final payment date.

I'm wondering now if they won't allow us to rebook? Or perhaps it just takes so much time to make the administration in order.

Has anyone else done this before, and what was your experience?

In my experience booking with NCL, I have called and made changes immediately. What was said when the TA spoke with them 4 or 5 days ago? Not sure why it wasn't just settled immediately. If you are still ahead of final payment, call your TA back and have them call again.

In my experience booking with NCL, I have called and made changes immediately. What was said when the TA spoke with them 4 or 5 days ago? Not sure why it wasn't just settled immediately. If you are still ahead of final payment, call your TA back and have them call again.

What the TA said to me is that they had to request the change in writing. And that it was taking longer because NCL actually sent them the wrong form. But that was at the beginning of this week and our TA hasn't hear from NCL since then. So that's why I'm getting a little worried.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Well, we decided to go for the upgrade. I didn't get a reply yet, but I noticed in My Ncl that room number now says 12153! I told our preference for a still available cabin number, but Ncl assigned us another one.

Our Balcony is smaller, but deck is higher so good for the views and closeness to pool and buffet.

We're happy with the upgrade and the room, but I am wondering if this is how it usually goes with upgrades?

We've had that cabin,it's nice

Was posting we'd had that cabin but realised it was 12253. Still a great location

We'd really like to use the spa, but $199 per person is just too much. That's why we are trying to rebook. Not complaining about the cabin or location. Glad to hear you enjoyed this cabin though.

Edited by WouterC

We got an answer from Ncl today, said it wasn't possible to rebook to a b9 category. Had hoped it would be possible, alas it seems that it's not.