Ukraine/Crimea

We have noticed that some cruise lines have changed their itineraries for the Black Sea 2014. Have been in touch with Thomson's and they say they are monitoring the situation - but have other ports of call available to them.

Passenger safety is of the upmost importance to them, will have to wait and see.

We have noticed that some cruise lines have changed their itineraries for the Black Sea 2014. Have been in touch with Thomson's and they say they are monitoring the situation - but have other ports of call available to them.

Passenger safety is of the upmost importance to them, will have to wait and see.

Have you seen for next year they are doing a Black Sea Explorer with an overnight in Istanbul & just goes to Nessebar in Bulgaria? Maybe they will consider that for this year now as an alternative to Sevastopol? Shame as Sevastopol really was the highlight of the Black Sea for us but it won't be safe anymore.....

Have you seen for next year they are doing a Black Sea Explorer with an overnight in Istanbul & just goes to Nessebar in Bulgaria? Maybe they will consider that for this year now as an alternative to Sevastopol? Shame as Sevastopol really was the highlight of the Black Sea for us but it won't be safe anymore.....

We're doing the Best of the Black Sea on Celebration this October. Already doing over night in Istanbul plus Odessa, Yalta & Sevastapol. If we don't go to the last three, then the cruise for us is pointless. So will either require a full refund or Thomsons allow us to switch to a different holiday.

We're doing the Best of the Black Sea on Celebration this October. Already doing over night in Istanbul plus Odessa, Yalta & Sevastapol. If we don't go to the last three, then the cruise for us is pointless. So will either require a full refund or Thomsons allow us to switch to a different holiday.

You can't really hold Thomson accountable for war, demanding a refund because they decide it is not safe to go somewhere, i feel, is a bit disrespectful.

You can't really hold Thomson accountable for war, demanding a refund because they decide it is not safe to go somewhere, i feel, is a bit disrespectful.

I'm NOT holding Thomsons accountable for war, or do I think it's disrespectful to demand a refund, which I didn't. But as the cruise is called 'Best of the Black Sea' I would hope that Thomsons would at least offer a full refund or a move over option to another holiday, which I would be perfectly happy with, If the 3 mentioned Ukraine/Crimea ports(which are the BEST of the Black Sea ports) were cut from the itinerary. I know cruiselines can change ports if necessary, if those 3 were cut then it would no longer be as described and no longer any interest to me.

I agree - I would think that those ports are the best ones in your itinerary IMO.

We are also on the Thomsons cruise, if it just turns out to be a Turkey and Greece cruise we would have taken it in the summer, and not in October, the best of the Black sea for us is also the 3 Ukranian ports so will also be looking for a refund or a chance to take another cruise with them without penalty.

I'm NOT holding Thomsons accountable for war, or do I think it's disrespectful to demand a refund, which I didn't. But as the cruise is called 'Best of the Black Sea' I would hope that Thomsons would at least offer a full refund or a move over option to another holiday, which I would be perfectly happy with, If the 3 mentioned Ukraine/Crimea ports(which are the BEST of the Black Sea ports) were cut from the itinerary. I know cruiselines can change ports if necessary, if those 3 were cut then it would no longer be as described and no longer any interest to me.

I absolutely agree. We are going on this cruise in August. I can get no information from Thomson, as usual, but I will be asking for a change of cruise or holiday in the event that they significantly alter the itinerary. It may not be their fault but it IS their problem. I paid for a cruise I wanted at a price that is sufficient to give me another premium cruise line so if I can't go where I wanted, whether it's the Russians or not, I will want to change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here,we are booked to go in July and we have heard nothing from Thomsons about options.The Cruise is special as its for my 50th and I am very interested in the Crimean War,but,without Sevastopol,it isn't worth doing.They are still advertising the Cruise with Sevastopol included.I hope they are not trying to get people on board under false pretences whilst already knowing that the ship wont be visiting the main Black sea port.I think we need to speak to Thomsons and see what they say.

Mark.

Edited by Souloggie

Already done it - Thomson say monitoring situation and have alternatives if needed, sure we will be the last to find out, perhaps if the Foreign Office advise against travel to Crimea something will have to be done by Thomson. But don't expect too much. If anyone hears from Thomson please let us know.

The 'best' ports in the Black Sea are Sevastopol, Yalta and Odessa. without these it is hardly worth going north from Istanbul. Pulling all three from a cruise would be a MAJOR change and if nothing else Thomson would be getting a bad press when they adopted their normal head office indifferent attitude.

The 'best' ports in the Black Sea are Sevastopol, Yalta and Odessa. without these it is hardly worth going north from Istanbul. Pulling all three from a cruise would be a MAJOR change and if nothing else Thomson would be getting a bad press when they adopted their normal head office indifferent attitude.

I agree with you dave about the three ports involved being the highlight of the Black Sea, also about it being a major change. But I do think Thomson will be able to point to the T&C and quote the 'political situation beyond our control' or words to that effect. From situations which have developed in the past we also know how badly they sometimes handle these things with excruciatingly bad communication to customers which just makes the uncertainty and disappointment worse.

I think they may well let people swap to other cruises, but I'd be surprised if they allowed cancellation with a deposit refund. I hasten to add that I have every sympathy for those booked, and I too wouldn't want to go if those ports are pulled but my gut reaction is that, sadly, it won't be that easy to just cancel without penalty.

I had a real job getting them to allow me to transfer my deposit without penalty to another cruise when they changed the itinerary - 3 out of 5 ports in one week - with no reason at all that they would disclose (certainly no disruption, political unrest etc). The only reason I could think was that it was expedient to them (logistics, or more likely financial). I did book a different cruise in the end but lost the free AI I'd had on the original booking.

I sincerely hope there is a good outcome, either the politic situation is resolved or if not, Thomson treat their customers well and allow them to change with a minimum of effort and no cost. Good luck to everyone affected.

We have been to our local Thomson office today and they are to get back to us on Monday.The Foreign Office do advise against trips to the Crimea on their website. We will not be happy if Thomson don't treat us well on this after nine previous Cruises with them as its no longer a CRIMEAN Discovery cruise if it does not go to the Crimea!

We have been on Cruises where for example a severe storm meant that we didn't go to Patmos but went to Barcelona instead,that is unavoidable but we all know that there is no way they will be going to Sevastopol,the main event of the Cruise,but,they are still advertising it today!

It like ordering a brown settee and getting a pink one without being given options to change or cancel the order.

Mark.

We have been to our local Thomson office today and they are to get back to us on Monday.The Foreign Office do advise against trips to the Crimea on their website. We will not be happy if Thomson don't treat us well on this after nine previous Cruises with them as its no longer a CRIMEAN Discovery cruise if it does not go to the Crimea!

We have been on Cruises where for example a severe storm meant that we didn't go to Patmos but went to Barcelona instead,that is unavoidable but we all know that there is no way they will be going to Sevastopol,the main event of the Cruise,but,they are still advertising it today!

It like ordering a brown settee and getting a pink one without being given options to change or cancel the order.

Mark.

Quite! All the best with the response on Monday - hope they come up with a resolution you are happy with. :)

This was my original post - agree with all opinions - do hope Thomson's are listening, not sure what the alternative ports could be, but it would be great to know seeing we will be paying the balance very soon. We depart July 14th, come on Thomson's do the honourable thing and let us know.

Same here,we are booked to go in July and we have heard nothing from Thomsons about options.The Cruise is special as its for my 50th and I am very interested in the Crimean War,but,without Sevastopol,it isn't worth doing.They are still advertising the Cruise with Sevastopol included.I hope they are not trying to get people on board under false pretences whilst already knowing that the ship wont be visiting the main Black sea port.I think we need to speak to Thomsons and see what they say.

Mark.

When are you going in July we supposed to be sailing on 14th doing back to back cruise for first time, normally only do 1 week. Someone said might do overnight in Istanbul not sure what that will mean, maybe thst we have 3 not 2days at sea, dont really fancy that. I have sent e mail to ceo but guess what no reply......lol I am going to contact ta next week and find out whst going on. Like you we will be celebrating but its our 30th anniversary. Lets hope they sort something soon.

Someone said might do overnight in Istanbul not sure what that will mean.

IMO Istanbul deserves at least an overnight stay as the city really comes alive at night. Haven´t stayed there on a cruise but absolutley love the city. If you do have an overnighter go to the Sheraton Hotel Bar - the views over the Bosphorus are spectacular.

IMO Istanbul deserves at least an overnight stay as the city really comes alive at night. Haven´t stayed there on a cruise but absolutley love the city. If you do have an overnighter go to the Sheraton Hotel Bar - the views over the Bosphorus are spectacular.

I would agree - we've been to Istanbul on cruises three times, but the most memorable was the visit when we had an overnight there. We just loved the city at night, it really has a buzz and all those restaurants with colourful squishy cushioned seats - it has a great atmosphere. I don't think you'd be disappointed if that was a change they made - but it's the rest of the itinerary you want to know about.

I think it would only be fair for them to advise you of what the altered itinerary would be if the situation doesn't change before you have to pay the balance.

The 'Best of the Black Sea' cruise we're doing in October already has an overnight stop in Istanbul, plus Odessa, Sevastapol & Yalta. So not that much can be done to ours really in relation to replacing those 3 with different Black Sea ports.

I don't believe it :confused:

Thomson are still selling a cruise called Crimean Discovery when everyone else in the world knows that visiting the Crimea is out of the question for the foreseable future.

They must have real contempt for their customers as they obviously think the poor mugs are too stupid to have read or watched the news.

They should drop that itinery and compensate every passenger who is unfortunate enough to have already booked.

I don't believe it :confused:

Thomson are still selling a cruise called Crimean Discovery when everyone else in the world knows that visiting the Crimea is out of the question for the foreseable future.

They must have real contempt for their customers as they obviously think the poor mugs are too stupid to have read or watched the news.

They should drop that itinery and compensate every passenger who is unfortunate enough to have already booked.

I wonder how many of this cruise has been sold since the issue arose.

When booking this at present if there is a reminder that flags up that the itinerary may change if the current situation continues then that is fine. If people booking now are reminded of that then they can not complain about any changes - if they are unsure then they should not book. Should there be nothing then you could say the issue is covered so widely on the news so booking to go to that area without asking the question and getting any written answer before you pay the deposit is really where passengers would have themselves to question too. It would be good "PR" if Thomson advise people when enquiring and as I have not enquired I am not aware of whether they do or do not.

There will be a small minority who will just want to be on that ship at that time of year in that general area of the world ie Eastern Med and surrounding areas and they may just give something on board eg on board spend or something.

There is of course the issue for those who have already booked and those for whom the whole reason for them wanting this cruise may be now changed (loss of specific ports). Some may be asking for their cruise to be cancelled now but if the itinerary has not yet changed in case the situation improves then there is presently less of an argument for them until any change is confirmed. They would have to argue that there is a fundamental change to the basis eg a Crimean Discovery cruise that does not go there etc

Edited by Huddersfieldtourist

Well,we decided that waiting for Thomsons to make a command decision and either offer us our deposit back or change of Cruise was not likely to happen.

We have literally,jumped ship and transferred to the Arctic Affair cruise on the Spirit.We had to pay £100 admin,car parking at Newcastle and lost our AI but,the Cruise is a £1000 cheaper, so even if we drink like a fish we will still perhaps not reach the cost of the Crimea Cruise.So glad we grasped the nettle and did this as we can now look forward to our Cruise with excitement instead of anger.

Mark.

Well,we decided that waiting for Thomsons to make a command decision and either offer us our deposit back or change of Cruise was not likely to happen.

We have literally,jumped ship and transferred to the Arctic Affair cruise on the Spirit.We had to pay £100 admin,car parking at Newcastle and lost our AI but,the Cruise is a £1000 cheaper, so even if we drink like a fish we will still perhaps not reach the cost of the Crimea Cruise.So glad we grasped the nettle and did this as we can now look forward to our Cruise with excitement instead of anger.

Mark.

Good - glad you are happy with the outcome. It's much like what happened to us and like you we chose an alternative cruise which was much cheaper so we won out financially even having lost out on the AI.

At least you are now looking forward to your new cruise which is so much better than feeling annoyed and upset that your cruise isn't what you wanted or paid up to. Enjoy the planning - it's a great itinerary. :)

Edited by kruzseeka