"Formal"

Obviously you look at formal differently, so you would not understand others' views on the subject. The pleasure of a formal night is to see the whole ship dressed up with the ambiance thus created. I know this does not happen on US cruises from my experience of them! It is the effect of a group as opposed to an individual event.

I always pity the few people who are not dressed formally on fhormal nights on UK sailings and have dined in the buffet. When you go in the theatre and they are the only ones not dressed up, I think they must feel so embarrassed. I look at them and think 'well maybe they lost their luggage or they didn't know any better'!

After getting to Diamond being Loyal to Royal looks like it will be P&O Britannia for me. Difficult on this forum getting Americans to agree, but we Brits like our Formal nights, I am so sad that they are giving us Anthem and taking away my beloved Indy!!!

Exactly. The op must be what we call old school. Not a general UK consensus.

I've ate in formal, changed after to smart casual to go to the theatre and felt sorry for some of the men fidgeting in their jackets or trying to loosen bow tie.

I didn't feel embarrassed and if I got any looks I'd feel pity for those who can't see beyond a dress code.[/quote

In my forties and would never class myself as old school, love to party formally or informally but also love to dress up. :) My girls aged 12 also love to dress up, are they also classed as old school??

In my forties and would never class myself as old school, love to party formally or informally but also love to dress up. :) My girls aged 12 also love to dress up, are they also classed as old school??

Depends if they look down on other people not dressed the same as the OP :)

The old school was more referring to the mentality of some of the "in my day, in the war, when I was young we never"

Sorry if I come off harsh but I have grown very frustrated with people showing up late and not properly dressed for formal night and having Grande allows people to dress up and go there or don't but I hope RCI enforces the dress code at the door.

Quatum now allows for people to eat where they want based on how much they want to dress up.

We are booked on a 12 day cruise on Quantum and basically we are eating three days at Grande and splitting up the rest and eating off the ship once. Like Adam said today on the conference call there are a lot of options at each choice and there will also be the daily regular options like the current menu.

As far as after dinner I will stay dressed or not depending on the venue I am going to next. We just off the explorer And there were 3 couples from the Dplus lounge who hung out together before and after dinner and two of the guys stayed in our suits to go to the show and we were roasting had to take off our coats and tie so again it depends on the venue.

I don't see how this is any different than going to a formal restaurant on date night. My wife and I do that from time to time. We get dressed up. We go out. Other people around us aren't formally dressed at the places we go before or after dinner.

Last week after dinner on formal night, I dropped my jacket off in the room, but kept the rest on. I didn't feel out of place. Granted, I wear a black suit with a solid color shirt and complimentary colored tie, not a tuxedo, but that's because I do not own one (i've rented 7 times... 2 high school dances and 5 weddings).

Purple shirt and lavender tie, to match the dresses my daughters were wearing. :)