How's the Shopping on the Mexican Riviera?

stones902

Ok, we've planned our first cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Our ports are PV, Cabo and Matz. Have always done the Caribbean (incl. Cozumel) up to this point but decided that it was time to try something different.

My question is....what can we expect in terms of shopping?

I am not expecting anything like St. Thomas or St. Maarten. I am expecting something along the lines of Cozumel with lots of leather goods, onyx, .925 silver and linens. Would this be accurate? Are there good jewlery stores that sell other things than the .925?

Your comments are appreciated!!!!

There are alot of jewerly stores in the Gold zone but I found the prices still high and it was definitely high pressure sales with lots of freebies to get you in the stores. I was not sure if you could guarantee the appraisal values on the gems. But then again I have travelled alot and I am not a big shopper. The silver was okay but it was .925. Can anyone say another refridgerator magnet?

• 1 month later...

Shopping was great in both PV and Mazatlan...I thought it was less expensive than in Cozumel. Cabo's prices were really expensive. I couldn't even bargain down to the starting prices of the items I found in PV & M. (Thought I'd pick up one or two more similar items in Cabo...no way was I paying that much more for something I didn't absolutely need/want.)

Shopping was great in both PV and Mazatlan...I thought it was less expensive than in Cozumel. Cabo's prices were really expensive. I couldn't even bargain down to the starting prices of the items I found in PV & M. (Thought I'd pick up one or two more similar items in Cabo...no way was I paying that much more for something I didn't absolutely need/want.)

Have been to Cabo myself and I can agree with u fully as per 'expensive' although convenient as the open air shopping is close to the pier.. I like onyx 'stuff' and as I will be in PV & Maz wld u recommend buying it there instead and at the market on the pier in, I believe, PV? Also what about straw goods, shawls, etc. - any recommendations on those? Any help here is really appreciated.

Have been to Cabo myself and I can agree with u fully as per 'expensive' although convenient as the open air shopping is close to the pier...

The open air shopping area by the pier in Cabo is terrible for prices. The vendors all know that they sort of have a "captive audience" because most cruise ship passengers will do most of their shopping there. They all seem to have banded together and will refuse to "haggle" over prices. Take a cab downtown and you'll fare much better. Ask the driver to take you to the "Giggling Marlin" restaurant, shouldn't be more than 6 bucks or so one way. At that intersection there will be ton's of shopping within a few blocks. Everything from open air stalls, to the nicer jewelry stores.

Here's a link to a downtown Cabo map:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/dwntwncsl.htm

Archived