An Open Letter to CCL on "Kids Sail Free"

T2C

So....Dougy...please explain this.......Don't be glib and gloss over it....explain it.

I price a cruise for 2 out of Baltimore

Total Cabin Price is $1689.....this price is not a discount fair....it is not a promotion....it is not room guarantee....it is the rate.

Then I price the same cruise...and the exact same room and the price comes up 2870 for 4 people with the "kids stay free" promotion.

How are the 3rd and 4th free? My first cruise search did not result in a discounted rate....rather a "rack" rate. And you cannot argue that the rooms are somehow priced differently because of capacity, because I had the same room reserved. So how is this cruise fare more than the amount of taxes? If you can explain this I'd love to hear it.

These are true numbers checked at 9:53pm So please explain....and don't say it's a discount and we should be happy with that. Because it's not "free"

let us know which ship, date, and cabin so we can check it. I have checked 3 different cruises with each on a different ship and the prices for 2 on the fun select rate and for 4 on the kids sail free and the rates with exception to port fees & taxes are the same. post up what you are looking at so we can see it.

So....Dougy...please explain this.......Don't be glib and gloss over it....explain it.

I price a cruise for 2 out of Baltimore

Total Cabin Price is $1689.....this price is not a discount fair....it is not a promotion....it is not room guarantee....it is the rate.

Then I price the same cruise...and the exact same room and the price comes up 2870 for 4 people with the "kids stay free" promotion.

How are the 3rd and 4th free? My first cruise search did not result in a discounted rate....rather a "rack" rate. And you cannot argue that the rooms are somehow priced differently because of capacity, because I had the same room reserved. So how is this cruise fare more than the amount of taxes? If you can explain this I'd love to hear it.

These are true numbers checked at 9:53pm So please explain....and don't say it's a discount and we should be happy with that. Because it's not "free"

...As the poster above stated, let us know all the info. Be glad to help.

...BTW, no such thing as "rack rate." When you checked the boxed at the bottom of the page where you selected the # of pax, dates, port to cruise from (Baltimore), there were a bunch of boxes to click (55+ and state of residency, for example). Once you do that and click enter, the next page shows you a price. If you look at the box where the price is, it MAY say "Based on your previous selections, we've chosen the best rates available for you." According to the boxes checked, the prices will differ. Make sure you checked all the boxes that apply.

...Anyway, let's have some info and we'll try to help.

Baltimore in June....look at it...it's easier for you to look then for me to post....then explain.

And I promise you will never find the price for two and the price of four as the same......Therefore they are not free.

Edited by Clarksfan1

Baltimore in June....look at it...it's easier for you to look then for me to post....then explain.

...First question is "Will this be your first Carnival cruise?"

...It is my understanding that this is the only fare where the "Kids Sail Free" promo matters. Every other rate code (fare) is already discounted off of that fare.

...Carnival (or any other mass market cruise line) will not let anyone combine a discounted fare with the "Kids" promo.

just checked the june 8th sailing out of Baltimore. balcony room 5144 on the upper deck for 2 people. rate $2718 and port fees & taxes of $231.04. balcony room 5162 for 4 people rate $2718 and port fees & taxes of $462.08. for this category and sailing the rate is the same so not seeing your difference.

...First question is "Will this be your first Carnival cruise?"

...It is my understanding that this is the only fare where the "Kids Sail Free" promo matters. Every other rate code (fare) is already discounted off of that fare.

...Carnival (or any other mass market cruise line) will not let anyone combine a discounted fare with the "Kids" promo.

Nope you can select "other rates" below the rates that are given.

just checked the june 8th sailing out of Baltimore. balcony room 5144 on the upper deck for 2 people. rate $2718 and port fees & taxes of $231.04. balcony room 5162 for 4 people rate $2718 and port fees & taxes of $462.08. for this category and sailing the rate is the same so not seeing your difference.

June 8 interrior....kids sale free.....$2408

June 8 interrior....under other fares....which is NON discounted.....$2338

Not the same price...Not free

...Well done, you beat me to it. Not going to go through all the date and cruises out of Baltimore for the next 9 months.

...The rates are out there.

You're not newbies nor are you recent high school graduates. You've veteran cruisers. The past month you have commented in several threads regarding price drops and kids sail free promotions. How on earth would you not know how promotions work?

If that math didn't make sense to you what kept you from picking up the phone and asking a Carnival agent for an explanation? You probably already know the answer - namely that the sailing you wanted wasn't within the terms of the promotion.

hate to burst your bubble but you are looking at prices on two different decks. the price you have for $2408 is in the back of the ship on the upper deck. the price you have for $2338 is midship on the empress deck. Therefore a price difference. find two cabins in the same category on the same deck.

...Took me a minute, but I figured it out for you.

...The numbers you quoted for this 6/8/14 sailing are correct. But you didn't look at the cabin categories. For whatever reason, they will not put you Riviera deck mid ship (cat 4b) with the promotion. They put the promo cabin on the Upper deck, which is an upgrade... a small total of $70 difference. That is the reason for the very small price increase.

...If it wasn't for the upgrade... Kids Sail Free.

Edited by Doug910
spelling

hate to burst your bubble but you are looking at prices on two different decks. the price you have for $2408 is in the back of the ship on the upper deck. the price you have for $2338 is midship on the empress deck. Therefore a price difference. find two cabins in the same category on the same deck.

...C'mon Morgan! You beat me to it again! LOL

+1

Originally, he was claiming there was a $1200 difference. When he was shown his error, he still attempted to prove Carnival was "dishonest" or whatever. Now he's coming up with a $70 difference - but still not comparing apples to apples.

I think, for everyone who thinks Carnival is being "deceptive", THIS is what's confusing everyone:

"Disclaimer

3rd/4th/5th guests are free combinable with Carnival’s Fun Select rates only."

As others have stated, any fare other than Fun Select is "discounted", and you aren't able to get the "Kids Sale Free" fare with any discounted rate. So, you have to base the price on the Fun Select Price (same cabin category, etc).

Carnival is NOT being deceptive in any way...it's right there in black and white in the terms of the promotion, plain and simple. If you chose to ignore the terms and conditions, then you are the one being deceptive, not Carnival.

Edited by bigman01

And how long did it take you to try and prove me wrong? And you don't call these practices deceiving?

You didn't even realize you could click on "other rates" and get original rates.

And the 1200 was my bad by forgeting to click on other rates......just another example of Carnival's deceiving practices.

Edited by Clarksfan1

Nope both deck 2.....have them both open on different windows on my computer as we speak.

the rate for two on deck 2 rivera deck does show rate of $2338. however when I try to do the 4 people with kids sail free it doesn't give me the option to pick deck 2. kicks me to the upper deck for $2408. two different decks.

And how long did it take you to try and prove me wrong? And you don't call these practices deceiving?

You didn't even realize you could click on "other rates" and get original rates.

didn't take me long at all and I've done it twice now.

Typical

BTW....9 minutes

...Funny, "Typical" was the word I was going to use.

...Yup, took us 9 minutes to find it. Takes others 2 days, and they still can't.

Edited by Doug910