Oasis Adjoing or adjacen? - Sofa or chair?

We're planning our next Oasis cruise, and have a question about adjoining cabins - I read some reports that actual adjoining cabins have a chair instead of a sofa. Then elsewhere I read that this isn't always the case. We're going to be traveling with older children, we wouldn't really NEED the cabins to be adjoining, but we would like them to be adjacent so we can at least open the balcony divider and be able to access each other's cabin without going out into the hallway. But I don't like the idea of having only a chair instead of a sofa. Even with the sofa we found things a big "tight" when both my DH and I wanted to sit up instead of sitting on the bed. Is there any way of telling whether an adjoining pair of cabins have sofas or chairs? Or should we just go for adjacent cabins instead and forget the adjoining idea?

I actually prefer to sail on Oasis with cabins that are adjacent. With the balcony divider open you can go from room to room easily and you get two rooms with couches. I sailed this way with my family and my brothers and it was great! With your children being older i would think having the door is not a necessity. Not to mention a little extra privacy for mom and dad is never a bad thing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just returned from Allure and had two joining rooms with my sister and BIL. We both had full sofas. It was nice to have joining rooms, it gave the feeling of more space. However, I wouldn't want that room if there were strangers on the other side because you could here their conversations, phone ringing, shower running etc. even with the door closed.

Adjoining rooms do not lose the sofa, it's connecting rooms that lose the sofa for a chair.

By "adjoining" I was referring to rooms that have a door between the two rooms, and by "adjacent", I meant rooms that were next to one another without a door connecting the two. Perhaps it's a difference in UK vs. US terminology.:)

Note that it's not 100% guaranteed that they will open the balcony divider. It's at the discretion of the captain as to whether they can be opened or not on any given cruise.
I understand that - however, on our February Western Caribbean sailing on the same ship, we noted that a number of balcony dividers had been removed. I took that to mean this captain would allow it unless there's a good reason not to on a particular sailing. But who knows if we will have the same captain a year from now? It wouldn't be a tragedy if we didn't have connecting rooms and the balcony divider couldn't be removed. It would just be more convenient if they could be. The real inconvenience would be, as we were in February, on opposite sides of the ship! :( Edited by TequilaToo

Actually, ALL rooms adjoin.....(well those on the same side, essentially)...

Only CONNECTING rooms have a connecting door...when I worked in a hotel, we always asked what people meant..if they wanted a door in between, they wanted CONNECTING...

May seem like semantics, but really....if someone asked for an adjoining room, it might NOT have a connecting door...

Actually, ALL rooms adjoin.....(well those on the same side, essentially)...

Only CONNECTING rooms have a connecting door...when I worked in a hotel, we always asked what people meant..if they wanted a door in between, they wanted CONNECTING...

May seem like semantics, but really....if someone asked for an adjoining room, it might NOT have a connecting door...

I'll be sure to tell our TA that we would like adjoining, but not necessarily connecting rooms. That should make it clear.

For what it's worth, I'm in the U.S. and use the words adjoining and adjacent the same way you do... :)

We had adjoining (connecting) Ocean View Balcony cabins with my parents on Allure and did have sofas in the rooms. The connecting door was across from the bathroom, so the furniture layout is the same as it would be in rooms that don't connect.

Our two balconies did *not* have a door between them though... there was a metal wall.

For what it's worth, I'm in the U.S. and use the words adjoining and adjacent the same way you do... :)

Thanks for the affirmation! :D It's good to know the term "connecting" might be more universally understood, however.

We had adjoining (connecting) Ocean View Balcony cabins with my parents on Allure and did have sofas in the rooms. The connecting door was across from the bathroom, so the furniture layout is the same as it would be in rooms that don't connect.

Was there a lot of noise that filtered through the connecting door?

Our two balconies did *not* have a door between them though... there was a metal wall.

There were no "doors" per se on our Oasis balconies, but the metal wall only came halfway out from the side of the ship to the railing - the other half was a removable partition that I believe can be slid back or otherwise removed for the duration of a voyage.

Thanks for the affirmation! :D It's good to know the term "connecting" might be more universally understood, however.

Was there a lot of noise that filtered through the connecting door?

There were no "doors" per se on our Oasis balconies, but the metal wall only came halfway out from the side of the ship to the railing - the other half was a removable partition that I believe can be slid back or otherwise removed for the duration of a voyage.

There was some noise, but we didn't think it was bad... I wouldn't have wanted to have the connecting doors if I didn't know the people next door to us though.

The metal wall that divided our two balconies was solid all the way across... the wall on the other side of the balcony (adjacent to strangers) was exactly as you described.

As I'm sure you know, they build the ships in blocks and my impression was that our two cabins wer at the end of one block and the beginning of another. I found it odd that we had a connecting door to the cabins, but didn't have a balcony door.

We were in 12564 and 12562 if you want to see where we were... I would expect that the balcony wall would be the same all the way on all the same decks in that location on both sides of the ship.