Is the coffee that bad?

hbooden

I bring along a small plastic pill bottle with instant coffee of my choice and then

I can add a spoon or so to the weak ships coffee or just fill the cup with hot water

like you would for tea and add what works for me.

On the drastic side just pour a jigger or two of Irish or Scotch in the coffee and

problems about taste become non-existent.

How you get alcohol past security is a non-discussion issue !

I like your in-room Irish coffe to get moving in the morning :p What time do you get up? Room #? :confused:

See ya!:D

Now, on the Star, the coffee (drip, not espresso drinks) in the atrium was free, and delicious. And so were the pastries. YMMV

That is probably the case on all NCL ships, that the regular coffee is for free also at the coffee bar in the atrium, I didn't think about that since we only go there to have cappuccino or caffee latte.... Thank you for clarifying. :)

That is probably the case on all NCL ships, that the regular coffee is for free also at the coffee bar in the atrium, I didn't think about that since we only go there to have cappuccino or caffee latte.... Thank you for clarifying. :)

Do they have coffee In the epic grill in the morning? I thought I saw pictures of urns in there. My room is close to that area on floor 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I drink quite a lot of coffee at home, and have a bean to cup machine for it. I really dislike instant coffee.

When on NCL, I usually have a cup or two from the buffet in the morning. It's OK. Nothing great, but I've had far worse. I also sometimes get a coffee at lunchtime as well.

I make sure I get a few decent cups during the week by having an espresso whenever I eat in Cagneys. I really like the espresso they serve there. I believe it's the same in le Bistro, but don't know about the other venues.

I have also had a latte, a few times from the Atrium, and thought that was pretty good.

Never tried the coffee in the room. I can never be bothered to mess around with those machines. I'd rather just wander up to the buffet.

Basically, the general coffee is good enough, and if you want a nicer cup then you can get one for a charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do they have coffee In the epic grill in the morning? I thought I saw pictures of urns in there. My room is close to that area on floor 16.

I don't drink regular coffee, but my husband does. And I remember that with Breakfast in the Haven restaurant on the Epic (plus in Cagney's on other ships if you are in a suite and have breakfast there), it is a cafetière for each table - where you kind of "press" the coffee yourself. Below is a photo of what I mean - this is not a cafetière from NCL, it is just an example to show a similar one to what NCL have:

utstyr-presskanne.png

Edited by TrumpyNOR

I don't drink regular coffee, but my husband does. And I remember that with Breakfast in the Haven restaurant on the Epic (plus in Cagney's on other ships if you are in a suite and have breakfast there), it is a cafetière for each table - where you kind of "press" the coffee yourself. Below is a photo of what I mean - this is not a cafetière from NCL, it is just an example to show a similar one to what NCL have:

utstyr-presskanne.png

Yup. That's a French Press.

The only place I've personally seen it used on NCL was the Epic Club. If you ordered coffee during any meal at any time of day it came in a French Press.

For breakfast in Cagneys on the Dawn and Star, they always just gave us our own thermal carafe containing very good fresh brewed coffee.

I've not been on the newer ships, and I wouldn't be surprised if they make more use out of the French Press due to it making much better coffee.

this thread just made my morning (as i am drinking my morning coffee). We are leaving on the Getaway on Saturday and am wondering do all balcony rooms have mini coffee pots?

I haven't sailed anywhere (yet) my gem cruise is my first:) but I thought I remembered reading that they have one cuppers on the newer boats? With pods? Not sure though! Enjoy your cruise! And come back and tell me about the coffee!!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

this thread just made my morning (as i am drinking my morning coffee). We are leaving on the Getaway on Saturday and am wondering do all balcony rooms have mini coffee pots?

The Getaway has the packet things which you pour water in the top and it drips through the packet into the jug (or maybe straight into the cup). Like you often get in hotels. It was very small by the looks of it (although I didn't bother using it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

I know I know it's subjective....I love coffee though lol and I am a bit nervous (ok dramatic but you know)

So are we talking like truck stop burned undrinkable? Too dark? Too light?

And part 2 on the gem balcony room I will have a little pot? Like I can bring my own coffee?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is SOOO subjective. I loved it on the Epic in 2010 and really disliked it on the Breakaway last year. I would hazard a guess it is not consistent depending on vendors and who is making it. Since I need a certain amount of coffee for the caffeine I just drink it but have had some that I liked better than others.

If there is an instant you like (to me that's worse but some people do) that would assure you of what you are getting. I tried brewing the coffee in the room but found it was too much trouble and those filter packs only tasted a little better.

They also sell travel mug/french press combos now. You could take that and your own coffee. Just DO NOT dispose of the grounds down the plumbing!

See this picture, a Hamilton Beach Senseo type:

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=321&pid=10524#top_display_media

----

I, too, am a coffee lover. Just got off the Getaway and had brought with me some Starbucks Via because usually I find the coffee on cruise ships gross. Well to my surprise it was pretty good. I like my coffee stronger and I found that the coffee n the Flamingo Grill was a darker, stronger blend. Not sure if that was on purpose since that has more of a Latin theme going with it, but it was great.

I would drink popular mass market coffee (folgers, maxwell house, choc full of nuts, and even gas station coffee etc) over the ship coffee and even lavazza. The ship coffee and lavazza is not "bad" but to me lacks aroma and just not my taste. Before I quit drinking coffee, I used to bring my own coffee and use a cheap Melitta over the cup coffee filter (simple, unbreakable, and (debatedly) makes a better cup of coffee over other methods including french press). You can order a pot of hot water for room service or hazard a try at the cabin coffee machine (available in balcony cabins and above or ask your steward).

French press is served only for suite passengers during breakfast/lunch e.g. Cagney's or Haven Restaurant (and still was just "okay" coffee to me).

Agree that on Jewel class ships, finding the coffee machine in the buffet with the beans on top of the machine. It's slightly better.

Free coffee is NOT available in the atrium aboard the Breakaway/Getaway. It's available on Jewel class ships (Gem, Jewel, Pearl, Jade) etc.

Edited by kylenyc

At Ye Olde Convalescent Home, where I sometimes work, the self-serve coffee is liquid concentrate, via a "per cup" machine.

However, integrated onto the top of the machine is a glass funnel full of coffee beans with a fancy label. So it appears as if you are getting fresh ground coffee through some newfangled device.

Only thing is, you're not.

(I'm told the whole coffee beans are "ornamental.")

I can drink ANY coffee.

This is sooooo undrinkable and I tried everywhere on the ship to see if it was the same...OMG....they use liquid coffee instead of grounds.

Had to PURCHASE coffee from Carlos's Bakery and used the coffee machine in the cabin.

At Ye Olde Convalescent Home, where I sometimes work, the self-serve coffee is liquid concentrate, via a "per cup" machine.

However, integrated onto the top of the machine is a glass funnel full of coffee beans with a fancy label. So it appears as if you are getting fresh ground coffee through some newfangled device.

On the Jewel I could hear the beans being ground so unless they have phony grinding noises, you will get freshly ground and brewed coffee in the buffet. My only complaint is that it doesn't fill the cup to the top and if you try to do it twice, it overflows the cup so be prepared with a larger cup if you don't want to make multiple trips. I love gourmet coffee and I thought this was pretty good.

And on the Gem I actually saw an employee open the machine and empty it of used grounded coffee beans. And also refill the grounds on top.

It does make for a good coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And on the Gem I actually saw an employee open the machine and empty it of used grounded coffee beans. And also refill the grounds on top.

It does make for a good coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is the coffee machine from the Jade with whole beans in the top hopper.

EMedCruise1152.jpg

Just as important as the coffee is cream. Is cream / half and half provided on NCL? Namely the Star.

Not sure about the Star but on the Breakaway in February they had a "cow" with both milk and cream at the buffet. They also had half & half in tiny plastic containers at places like O'Sheehan's.

(For those who have never worked in a cafeteria - a "cow" is a large plastic bag full of milk with a sealed plastic pipe at one end. You install it in a refrigerated cabinet with the pipe at the bottom. You install a heavy (weight at one end) lever that pinches the pipe shut and close up the cabinet, then snip the end off the pipe. People lift the lever to dispense milk from the pipe, and lower it to stop the stream. Gallons of milk and you can safely leave it there all day.)

Edited by Valen9

I find the coffee on ship quite good. The one exception, is the 24 hour restaurant (bar). The odd time I have showed up their for breakfast quite early and the coffee had be sitting in that brewing urn for a very long time.

Most other time and most other places there is sufficient volume of coffee drinkers that the coffee does not go stale.

If NCL does not, they should develop one of those policing similar to Tim Horton that coffee older than a certain amount of time is disposed and a fresh pot made.