Cosco Scenera Carseats?

cruisinmama!

Hi,

Not only are we headed on a cruise this summer with our 2 boys, but I am also going to have to take an unavoidable trip with them solo on a plane next month (yikes!) :eek:.

Given that their regular carseats are pretty heavy and bulky (Chicco Keyfits) I have been trolling the boards for what other parents are using for travel that might be a little easier to lug along, but still provide the safety of a carseat during the plane and/or shuttle ride.

Would any of you that have experience with this type of car seat recommend it for a lightweight option (for travel only, not for regular everyday use)? And would you say it is easy for a not-so-mechanically-inclined mom to install on the airplane by herself? Or are there better ideas or options out there that you would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Not only are we headed on a cruise this summer with our 2 boys, but I am also going to have to take an unavoidable trip with them solo on a plane next month (yikes!) :eek:.

Given that their regular carseats are pretty heavy and bulky (Chicco Keyfits) I have been trolling the boards for what other parents are using for travel that might be a little easier to lug along, but still provide the safety of a carseat during the plane and/or shuttle ride.

Would any of you that have experience with this type of car seat recommend it for a lightweight option (for travel only, not for regular everyday use)? And would you say it is easy for a not-so-mechanically-inclined mom to install on the airplane by herself? Or are there better ideas or options out there that you would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You don't mention the ages of your boys...but have you considered the "CARES Harness System" for air travel ?

How old are your boys? If they are over 3, I say forget it! Especially if you will be taking them to the potty.We have traveled with our boys quite a bit! It is VERY difficult to handle carseats in the airport, security and holding into your boys, etc is a nightmare when loading with all of that. I should also tell you how bad it sucks when the kiddos want to get out of the car seat and don't want to get back in it on the plane!

Other things to consider: not all car seats fit! Most shuttles don't require them. Also while cruising the rooms are so small it's hard to fit them!!

Just telling you because I've been there done that with help and it sucked!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are 3 and 10 months. So just little guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bring the car seats on the plane, best and SAFEST way to go all around! I travel international and mine are always in seats.

For the 3 year old you will need the bigger cosco, for the little one I would look into the evenflo one that's about $50. I use this as my travel seat for the 2.5 year old. In our car she rear faces in a graco myride, totally not dragging that around. But the evenflo is light and small and she can still rear face in it. It also installs easily without towels or pool noodles like the cosco one would need.

You will want to check with the shuttle company. Depending on the type of vehicle used car seats may or may not be allowed.

I'm flying solo with DD in May (she's 3) and was going to use the CARES harness on the plane until I found out she's too tall for it. We are still debating getting a travel safe vest or gate checking her old car seat (won't be using it anymore after our trip) for when we get there.

Did you purchase a seat on the plane for the little one? If not and there are no extra seats on the plane (very common as planes are flying very full) you will be forced to gate check it (they cannot be placed in overhead bins).

A lifesaver for me is this little contraption that hooks onto the car seat and pretty much turns it into a car seat for strolling around the airport. It's so easy to use. I wish I had a better picture but this should give you an idea of what it is. ImageUploadedByForums1396125137.733564.jpg.ca7b9eb4dab3a7ed9d040cd0b79f193e.jpg. It's kind of like one of those old school luggage carts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have a Cosco Scenera in our second car for our 2.5 year old, she's been using it since she was about 9 months. This is the car seat we always take when we travel - much lighter weight than the car seat in our primary car:) dd seems to like it and we haven't had an issue installing it in rental cars (haven't tried it in the plane or in shuttles). I don't like it as much as our primary car seat (seems to have a bit less padding), but I don't have any qualms about using it for travel and in the second car (which she rides in most weekdays either to or from daycare, but that is about it).

We have 2 in car seats and ordered a car seat backpack (jr Childress, I believe is the brand) before our last trip - great purchase. We usually try to avoid buying extra stuff, but this bag is a travel lifesaver. We fit the Scenera, a Snugride and a bunch of diapers in this bag and carried it our back utilize we got to bag check. It was a tight squeeze and I know the bag is not intended for 2 car seats but it worked and made getting through the airport with a 2-month old and 2.5 year old much easier! It also kept the car seats a bit cleaner than just gate checking them.

We travel with a Combi Cocorro and an Evenflo Sureride or Safety 1st Guide 65/Easy Fit 65. The Combi is for our youngest, we also use it as his primary seat as it is light and compact. The Sureride and Guide 65/Easy Fit 65 are for our oldest(almost 4). He was able to rear face in both until this month. He rode forward facing in them from 2.5 on the plane though. Both nest together and fit on a cheap luggage cart from Walmart. My youngest actually fits strapped into his seat and we pull it through the airport like that.

We always travel with car seats. My kids also always have seats on the plane and we use car seats in taxis as well. Physics don't change just because you are on vacation.