Free Ultimate Dining Package question

mitsugirly

We got the ultimate dining package for free with our cruise reservations and I just had a question.

We have 2 rooms booked and a total of 8 people. So, we get 2 packages.

It's my understanding that the package only comes for 2 people...as in the 1st and 2nd passenger in each room. We will have 2 little ones with us when we cruise so just plan on getting them something to eat at the buffet and sending them off to the kids club when we decide to go out to eat.

Here's my question. Now, I must say this first (since I know many people like to jump the gun and think the worse) that I'm not trying to get away with anything or do anything wrong. It's just a question....:o

My hubby and I will have the package. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend will have the package. We also have my other adult son and his girlfriend traveling with us in the rooms. Is there any way at all that they could use the package when we don't? I really don't want them to feel left out when we go out to eat. So I was wondering if the nights that we won't use the dining, would we be able to let them use it instead? I'm not talking about us going and using it, then handing it to them to use. Not at all. I'm talking about INSTEAD of us using it every night, we could rotate so they have a chance to eat with family too. I mean how do they know if it's us using if it hasn't been used that day?

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

As I said, not trying to start a war or get away with anything. Just looking for an answer with maybe giving up some of my days to use it. :)

I think that you would be fine. There is a limit of one specialty restaurant per night so as long as you don't exceed you should be fine. The reservation and "charge" are attached to the card so if they have that they should be golden.

I think it's attached to the key card too. But how do they know if it's me going or someone else going?

I can't imagine if you give them your card it would be an issue. I don't think they scan and look at your picture when you give it too them. At least I hope not :D

I understand your feelings and this is my thoughts on the subject:

1. you have 2 packages so two couples can either go to the speciality restarant and one goes elsewhere or pays the charge.

2. if the UDP is tied to the key cards...if you trust your adult son the night you want to gift the UDP to him just give him one of your husband's card and he can check in with that. Most times (I am dating myself here) your son will have the same last name so being called Mr "Smith" should not be a problem. You will still have one card to get into the room if you need to get back there.

Se I see no problem with 2 couples using the UDP does not matter which two. Now if you were trying to get 3 couples in on 2 packages that would be another story.

The other thing you can do -- is attend the Meet and Greet and meet the Hotel Director, if you are a loyal NCLer and ask nicely about putting another couple on...who knows what can happen.

If you are platinum members and get free dinners you can share those with your other son.

When we have traveled with our son and his family -- we have booked the girls in one room and the guys in another. My husband and I are platinum -- this way each room got the platinum perks. We went to guest relations and asked for vistor key cards so that people could get into the room they moved to -- my husband back with me and my daughterinlaw and granddaughter back with my son.

Before pople "flame" me for doing that... we have done several cruises as platinum...and NCL does not give us double treats (we do get double laundry offers and 2 free meals) so one cruise getting double will not break NCL or even make me feel guilty.

Oh I did forget that there are picture IDs on the cards -- I am not sure if the pictures show up at the dining rooms

If your wait staff is as good as I experienced, they study your photo and greet you by name at check in. It really impressed me that they went to this length to provide personalized service. I was not in a suite so they are doing this for us steerage passengers, too. This was at LeBistro on the Epic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

UDP cannot be shared between people. It is attached/assigend to your key card. Of course I would image if you really wanted to bend the rules, you could just give the other people your card when you are not dining, but that (IMHO) would be less than honest, and based on your OP you do not intend anything of that type. We got the UDP free for the first two in our cabin, we have three total. We went ahead and bought the package for our third.

Here's what NCL has to say about it:

"The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00."

And any time they swipe your card, your picture shows up. In order for them to not feel left out, why not just buy them the package and then you can all go together?

...And any time they swipe your card, your picture shows up. In order for them to not feel left out, why not just buy them the package and then you can all go together?

With this being said.... well... maybe just buying it would work better. Though, the kids might look enough alike to get away with it. Not sure if I would risk the embarassment.

Side not.. .you say 8 are traveling, but you only indicated three couples...unless I have a reading problem again- still.

I think that you would be fine. There is a limit of one specialty restaurant per night so as long as you don't exceed you should be fine. The reservation and "charge" are attached to the card so if they have that they should be golden.

You can eat as many times as you want at the specialty places. You can eat dinner at cagneys and later if you still are not full youc an go to the french place same evening. No limit.

I totally see what you're saying, but for some reason it just seems kind of icky and dishonest to me, ya know? I'm sure you/they can easily get away with it though, and there are plenty of worse cheats. There are people who sneak others into the Haven, or use rum-runners, or remove balcony dividers after being told not to, or skip the muster drill... I guess picking our cheats is an individual decision, and I'm not sure anyone gets hurt. Just don't tell the kids that they are really non-transferable, so that you don't set a bad example.

Edited by LrgPizza

With this being said.... well... maybe just buying it would work better. Though, the kids might look enough alike to get away with it. Not sure if I would risk the embarassment.

Side not.. .you say 8 are traveling, but you only indicated three couples...unless I have a reading problem again- still.

OP "We will have 2 little ones with us when we cruise so just plan on getting them something to eat at the buffet and sending them off to the kids club when we decide to go out to eat."

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments.

The thing is, I will only be using the ultimate dining package for 2 places-Teppanyaki and La Cucina. I'm not a big meat eater and don't like steak or red meats really. So I just figured since I will probably only go twice that they could use it the other nights and go out with my daughter and her boyfriend.

I do know it's attached to your keycard (didn't know about the sticker, but that's the same as the soda sticker I would imagine). Whenever I have seen them scan the cards for anything, I have never noticed any picture coming up when you purchase a meal, drinks, or at the gift shops. The only time I have seen a picture come up is checking in and out as you are in port. But then again, since the ship is new, it might be different.

Them purchasing the UDP would be out of the question. They are only going on the cruise because we managed to book the promo they are having and it only cost them $114 each to come with us. Like I said, they are "young" adults (19 & 20). They are both very responsible young adults and have had jobs for 3 years, but live paycheck to paycheck as many do in this economy (young and old).

I just wanted them to not feel left out and since we were not going to get good use out of the package, I would rather see them be able to use it. :)

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments. I really appreciated it.

Based on your expanded explanation, why not ask if you can have the package assigned to them and you two pay a la carte for the 2 restaurants you are interested in dining at? Seems like that would be a reasonable request? Even if it meant juggling the Guest 1 & 2 names around on the reservation a bit, at least the package would be getting more use.:)