Scooter Hire

Groovybusybee

Hi,

My name is Debbie and I live in the UK. In July we are travelling to Seattle to board Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.

I am travelling with my parents. Mum has limited mobility and will be travelling with her manual wheelchair. She also uses a scooter at home and we are thinking about hiring a scooter for her to use on the ship, this would give her increased independence when we may be off the ship during excursions etc.

Has anyone had experience of hiring a scooter on a ship? Any personal recommendations?

Also, she is booked into a normal cabin, would there be room in a non accessible cabin for storage of the scooter overnight etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Debbie

Edited by Groovybusybee

In the states most people use either Care Vacations or Special Needs at Sea. The scooter is rented in advance and is in your stateroom when you board.

Being a scooter user myself (I used to rent but now I own a travel scooter), for the most part scooters won't fit in non-accessible cabins and most cruise lines won't let you park them in the hallway. Even if the scooter would somehow fit into your cabin it would be difficult if not near impossible to maneuver it safely for charging it or for leaving the cabin once you got inside. Also, most cabin doorways are too narrow to allow passage of scooters.

There will be fellow cruisers who say that they have done it but I highly recommend a handicap accessible cabin if you plan to use a scooter. I see your cruise is in July so accessible cabins might already be taken but it wouldn't hurt to contact your TA or cruise advisor to inquire.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Care Vacations is Canada based. Website. Cruiseassist.com. Call Celebrity and waitlist accessible cabin. Care vacations is excellent to rent from. Scooter in room upon entering and left there after.

Mom would be so more independent with a scooter, ports included. Vicki

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

My name is Debbie and I live in the UK. In July we are travelling to Seattle to board Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.

I am travelling with my parents. Mum has limited mobility and will be travelling with her manual wheelchair. She also uses a scooter at home and we are thinking about hiring a scooter for her to use on the ship, this would give her increased independence when we may be off the ship during excursions etc.

Has anyone had experience of hiring a scooter on a ship? Any personal recommendations?

Also, she is booked into a normal cabin, would there be room in a non accessible cabin for storage of the scooter overnight etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Debbie

In order to have the scooter delivered to the ship and waiting in the cabin you must rent from one of Celebrity Cruises pre-approved vendors which are :

CareVacationsPhone: 877-478-7827

Fax: 800-648-1116

E-mail: res@carevacations.com

http://www.carevacations.com

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: 800-513-4515

Fax: 800-513-4516

E-mail: info@specialneedsgroup.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Carevacations "Lightweight" and "Mid-size scooter' will generally fit though the door of a standard cabin but there but it will impact the overall walking space in the cabin particularly if you have to use a walker within the cabin. Carevacations " Fullsize scooter' will require you to have an accessible cabin .

Special Needs at Sea's "Standard" scooter will generally fit through the door of a standard cabin and here again the walking space in the cabin will be limited particularly if you have to use a walker in the cabin. Special Needs at Sea's "Heavy Duty Scooter" and 'Bariatric Scooter" will require an accessible cabin.

The scooter must be able to fit into the cabin as it cannot be stored elsewhere on the ship. Celebrity's website clearly states the following :

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Here's the link to Celebrity's policy for mobility scooters : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs&cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility#onboard_mobility_disabilities_tab

Carevacations "Lightweight" and "Mid-size scooter will generally fit though the door of a standard cabin but there will but it will impact the overall walking space in the cabin. Carevacations " Fullsize scooter will require you to have an accessible cabin . Special Needs at Sea's "Standard" scooter will generally fit through the door of a standard cabin and here again the walking space within the cabin will be limited. Special Needs at Sea's "Heavy Duty Scooter" and Barriaric Scooter" will require and accessible cabin.