Horseback riding has anyone done this?

tigercat

Going on a cruise to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan. We have one person who wants to do this excursion and was wondering if anyone had done this excursion and where. Since there are 4 different Islands I wasn't sure which one to post this on so thought I would ask it here.

tigercat

Going on a cruise to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan. We have one person who wants to do this excursion and was wondering if anyone had done this excursion and where. Since there are 4 different Islands I wasn't sure which one to post this on so thought I would ask it here.

tigercat

silly question but:

horseback riding is offered in each of these ports as a ship's excursion?

oh, never mind .... you are really asking for a recommendation of a place to GO horseback riding in any of these 4 ports, right?

You may want to post in each port the question: can anyone recommend a place for horseback riding? . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

We have done some horseback riding excursions, mostly when we were staying at AI's. Daughter is also a very experienced rider, who has taught me.

The first thing you need to understand is that these horses don't like taking greenhorns for a tour. They do it because it's their job and it's why they get fed and have a place to stay at night, but they don't like it. So don't expect them to be happy horsies. They're just punching the clock.

Second, according to Daughter, all those pix of joyous people and horses galloping through the surf are baloney. The horses don't want to gallop through the salt water, which is useless to them, as they can't drink it and they don't feel safe when they're in it.

Third, riding a horse is hard work, even if you know what you're doing. Horses sweat and they attract biting flies. If it's hot, they don't want to GO, even if you do. The saddle and stirrups will rub your legs sore unless you wear long pants. If you don't know what you're doing, you will probably piss the horse off - a classic mistake is kicking the horse to make it go while hauling back on the reins, which is a message to stop.

If you really want to ride a horse, wear long pants and sturdy shoes (or at least sneakers). Take some time to introduce yourself to the horse at his/her head (not at the back end, where the kicking feet are). Let the horse smell you and learn what your voice sounds like. Get on the horse and don't whang back on the reins. If you want the horse to go forward, keep the reins in your hand but let them go loose, and lean forward. You can also push forward with your bum in the saddle a coupla times.

If you want the horse to slow down, lean back and gently pull the reins back - don't whang on them, it's the horse's mouth you're pulling on. It will get the message if you lift the reins and pull them very gently.

These horses know the route. They do it every day. Just get on, let the reins loose, and let the horse take you along. But don't expect them to gallop with gay abandon in the surf. They hate that.

Having said all the foregoing, if nobody ever takes a horse excursion, the horses will have no commercial value and will probably be put to death. Plus, it's a great way to go through the countryside - very slow, very natural. Just remember Bobby the horse is just doing his job, so don't expect him to share your passion for riding in the surf, or like it when you haul back on his mouth and kick him at the same time.

Thanks for all the info. Actually the person who wants to do horseback riding owned a horse farm and still rides a lot. I will send the information to the lady and see what she wants to do. I wouldn't do it as I am not a rider but I will let her son know as he thought he might have to go along with her and he doesn't ride. I had already told him that it would be fine if she went by herself. She is pretty self assured so I don't think that is a problem.

tigercat