splendor must-do's

chars

I booked my parents on a Splendor cruise leaving next week. I usually sail NCL, but have sailed (and was married on) Carnival in the past. Can anyone tell me if a dining room is open on embarkation day? I have been reviewing these boards in hopes to give them some advice and "must-dos" for their vacation. I haven't really been able to find what I was looking for. So, I figured I would just start a thread. What suggestions would you give to a 70 year old couple that have not cruised in a while going on the Splendor itinerary.

There isn't a dining room open for lunch on embarkation day, just the lido. I suggest they get on board early before it gets crazy crowded there. We enjoyed the Splendor and found there were a lot of public spaces available for reading, relaxing or people watching. There's the Serenity area outdoors for that too. Have them try the brunch on sea days in the MDR. The lido gets pretty crowded for breakfast and lunch, but right by the dessert area there's a staircase that goes up to the rotisserie. It's a lot less hectic up there and the rotisserie is pretty good. Hope they have a great cruise!

For sail away go to deck 7. Walk all the way to the front of the ship and you will see a door that leads outside. You will get a great view of NYC from here. You are allowed to be there and few people know about this spot so it wont be packed. Also there is benches out there if you need to sit.

For sail away go to deck 7. Walk all the way to the front of the ship and you will see a door that leads outside. You will get a great view of NYC from here. You are allowed to be there and few people know about this spot so it wont be packed. Also there is benches out there if you need to sit.

there is also a door on deck 9 forward too

One of the nights they should try the Pinnacle Steakhouse. It is $35 per person but well worth the price. The steakhouse offers a free bottle of wine on the first night of the cruise.

Before dinner they have the Taste Bar on the inside promenade that offers 2 small appetizers on most nights.

The thin crust pizza on Lido is awesome.

As mentined above, on sea days they have the MDR brunch instead of the usual morning breakfast in the MDR. They have some good brunch entree and a tasty danish basket.

The Mongolian Wok for lunch on Lido is very good with some good mild and spicey sauces.

As far as entertainment, the comedy shows are always good and they offer a family version or a late night adult version. The lounge production shows are all good especially Vroom. The live bands around the ship were very good. You had to look at the daily Carnival schedule to find out when and where they were playing.

There is a lot to do on the ship so make sure they know to look at the daily Carnival shedule that is in the cabin every day. There is certainly something fun to do for everyone. Oh, and don't forget the shopping.

Overall the Splendor is an awesome cruise out of NYC.:cool: