What is there for kids to do in the Haven common areas?

luv2sleep

We were on Breakaway March 9' date=' which was Ontario spring break and the ship was filled with children. Many of there children were also in Haven suites. There was a huge clash between those with families and young children, and those who expected the Haven to be "tranquil". I personally spoke with the AHD who assured me our family, including children, were welcome in the Haven. She directed the concierge to tell people wanting an adult only experience to Vibe.

I too agree NCL has a marketing dilemma, as many do not equate children of any form with tranquility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Maybe they should throw in free acess to Vibe for adult Haven guests until they end this tranquility-marketing, then.

The main problem I have with children in the Haven is the amount of time they spend in the pools and hot tubs, much different than what adults do. Of course, children, like any other guest in the Haven, are welcome to use the facilities. But when they do, they take their toys in and stay for HOURS, playing and splashing (like kids will do) and they hardly ever get out! That means that any adult who would like to use the pool or tub (to heat up or cool down, whatever) either has to share with toys and splashing or wait for one-four-six hours until the kids get out. Of course, it's not against the rules to splash or snorkel or do flips/handstands/whatever, but it's not very inviting for adults to share the tiny space (taking a "quick dunk") without getting water in their eyes (which washes out my contacts) or hearing screeching just a foot away from their ears. I have gone entire cruises in the Haven (several, not just a couple) without EVER being able to use the hot tub because there were ALWAYS at least a few children playing inside, every single time I checked. I'm not kidding -9am-midnight some days!! On one trip it was two sisters, EVERY single time we tried to go in the hot tub - for six straight days, including port time, and usually with no parents around...

It's also not against the rules to speak of adult things, but I am careful not to curse or have conversation about adult things within earshot of your kids, so please be considerate in return and give adults a chance to act like adults -the way we allow your kids to act like kids! Maybe the answer would be to have 20 minutes every hour for adult use only in hot tub and pool? It shouldn't have to be that way, but maybe it's the only way to properly "share" the space? It is a shared space, for both adults and kids, but when the kids take over, there is no room left for adults...

Before you go pointing fingers - I have kids, Ive been there, done that, and yes, I've had to remind my own kids MANY times to act like young ladies and leave some time for adults (kids don't realize that they are imposing on people or how loud they are being). So parents, before you go pointing at the "grumpy old people", please just be considerate and try to share the space once in a while by pulling your kids out of the water for a break! You can probably tune out "Mommy watch me!" forty times in a row, and you might not mind being splashed by your kids, but others might! All I'm asking is that the adults get a chance once in a while!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Fishbait the pool in our neighborhood I grew up in, had adult swim the last 15 of every hour. It was the reason you stated also to give life guards a break and to give the kids a opportunity to go the bathroom.

Fishbait the pool in our neighborhood I grew up in, had adult swim the last 15 of every hour. It was the reason you stated also to give life guards a break and to give the kids a opportunity to go the bathroom.

It was the same way at our yacht club and at most pools I remember as a kid, including resort pools, and even my grandparents pool (they would say "Kids Out!" When it was their turn :D). Unfortunately, things have changed and people feel entitled to having everything at all times now. Yes, I said the word entitled.. There's a lot of that going on in our world today. A lot of "me me me" and less "us us us".

At one point several years ago, i remember seeing signs in the Haven by the hot tub saying no kids under (??maybe 14??) allowed. I haven't seen them in a long time though.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Let's just be honest and say that noisey kids on a cruise are a nightmare for other passengers, sometimes even for the parents too.

We will be Haven guests a month from now and I am already planning on getting a cabana in Vibe if possible and the only reason is to avoid any badly behaved kids that may be present in Haven.

Unfortunately kids on cruises have multiplied in recent years if you'll pardon the pun. /Grinch mode disengaged

Maybe they should throw in free acess to Vibe for adult Haven guests until they end this tranquility-marketing, then.

Since Vibe is limited to 75 guests, and there are way more adults than that in the Haven, that's pretty unlikely. Especially because it leaves out the remaining thousands of passengers from even getting a chance.

There are other cruise lines that offer tranquil, adult only areas. Maybe the Haven just isn't the right fit for everyone.

Although we have been in suites on Norwegian, we've never been in one that allows access to the Haven. I guess we've been a little envious. I kept checking prices .... looking for a sale .... looking for a price that I would be comfortable with.

After reading this thread ~ all I can say is not anymore.:D

These are always hotly debated threads here on the NCL board. Its really a tough call for NCL. One side is NCL encourages kids to be in the Haven and Haven pool area. All of the 2 bedroom suites are located in the Haven and catered for families with kids. Of course they are going to use the Haven facilities. I never saw out of control behavior at the Haven pool. But I refer to the Haven pool as the "rich kid swimming pool." I say that because I only see kids using the pool with their pool toys, etc. Another time the hot tubs were over run with teenagers (about 8 in each tub). We really don't use the Haven pool area so none of this really bothers me because they are paying (or their parents are) and they have every right to be there.

The flip side of this argument is NCL promotes the Haven as some sort of tranquility area (or at least they once did). This is true for the Jewel class ships where only a handful of guests have access. But for the bigger ships (Epic, GA, BA) the area is much more crowded. Many "tranquil" areas on other cruise lines are adult only. So it is really a fine line NCL has walked in this area. NCL is catering to families but sometimes this can rub people the wrong way who are looking for a private and tranquil area. I don't blame the kids at all. Kids are supposed to run, scream, play, fight in a swimming pool.

No fair!

I wasn't allowed to run near the pool.

I wasn't allowed to fight. Or I was punished.

I was allowed to play. :). Even horseplay a bit.

Scream is a broad term. I guess myself and my siblings screamed, laughed, shouted even. But if it got to be too much, or it bothered others, we would get a warning. Maybe even a second. But that's all.

my kiddo did homework, read, made bracelets, played quietly with a few other girls, swam, soaked, did handstands and somersaults under water, had the pool valet bring her treats from blue lagoon and was respectful of all other residents of the Haven.

i observed her all the time.

now the other three kids that were in the haven were rude, destructive, disrespectful, and over all loud.

did i let them ruin my vacation?

no i just praised my child openly on how well behaved she was being. :D

I am one of your biggest fans. Seriously.

those threads are always a good opportunity for some to announce how well behaved their own kids are and of course how awesome their own parenting is or has been. All those other disturbing, rude, disrespectful families that overrun the haven area are coming from a parallel universe and they are never part of the board here. We are the good ones :)

post of the day!

I'm a Norwegian newbie. I was interested in the haven because it seemed to match my style of cruising. The ops question shows why there are issues. As someone posted, it's a marketing issue. I'm not sure how an exclusive oasis matches with family style cruising. I suspect others are having the same issue.

If Norwegian hopes to attract luxury cruisers, they need to think about their target audience for the haven.

If Norwegian hopes to attract luxury cruisers, they need to think about their target audience for the haven.

Are kids and luxery vacation really contradictory in the year 2014? I had the impression we have been much further.

The times where kids had to stay away from adults were expected to be meekly and quiet and if not doing so and obeying got beaten are hopefully gone forever.

Are kids and luxery vacation really contradictory in the year 2014? I had the impression we have been much further.

The times where kids had to stay away from adults were expected to be meekly and quiet and if not doing so and obeying got beaten are hopefully gone forever.

I do not think the contradiction is luxury it is relaxation. Some are drawn to the Haven due to marketing as a tranquil relaxing place. Others are drawn to the Haven through the name "family suites". I do not know very many kids who would look forward to a cruise vacation "to relax". Do you?

Relaxation + Marco Polo = ??????

Both pay for the Haven and the vacation they envisioned. Can both parties share the same space and simultaneously achieve that vacation? That is a very good question for NCL to answer.

This thread is really making me consider purchasing Vibe passes for our upcoming Getaway cruise. One thing we loved about the Epic was Posh. So much so that we never ever did anything in the actual Haven on the Epic (other than meals). We just loved the quiet, relaxing atmosphere. If the Haven is over run by loud obnoxious kids I will not be a happy camper.

Question for Breakaway and Getaway past cruisers....did the Haven sundeck that overlooks the ocean have loud crazy kids up there too? I assume no, because there is no pool, and it would be boring, but I would love to know for sure to help make our decision of to vibe or not.

Edited by maja651

Traveled in Haven 2 times before (Jewel and Epic) and am scheduled to go again next month on Epic. (All TA) Our kids(3) are all under 8. A few thoughts from me. 1) I am sure all TA's are a bit different from non TA's as our last TA had a total of 33 kids on board. 2) Our kids prefer to be in other areas of the boat - they aren't really into relaxing :) 3) When we were in the public areas of the Haven, we were there for family time for a fairly quick swim or a little time in the hot tub. 4) The Posh beach club is available for free to those Haven guests that want to be away from any kids at all. 5) If I am relaxing in the Haven court yard.... I don't want my kids there either! 5) Lastly - and I don't want to offend any parent, I tell my friends this too - Parents who are the first to say "my kid would never" are sometimes deceiving themselves. I have seen your kid do exactly what you say they would never do when you aren't looking.

Edited by DaveBo

Hi Maja651,

Read my post #48 on page 3 of this thread. I just got off the Getaway during a Spring Break cruise in a Haven 2 bed Family Suite. As I said above, There are plenty of quiet places on the Haven sun deck (the upstairs part of the Haven sun deck has three separate spaces with a variety of sun, shade & seating options). While I was on the ship, the kids did not monopolize the pool or the hot tubs, lots of adults spent time in them; and as I said, everyone in the Haven got along really well. There were several multi generational families and lots of older couples, young families and several single people. Maybe I got lucky, but not one person acted out or was a jerk.

I was traveling with 16 and 13 year olds and saw kids from babies to teens. Not one single kid misbehaved and I spent the majority of my time having meals outside on the first floor of the sun deck and relaxing on the second floor looking at the ocean. I was never annoyed or bothered by kids or adults and I met a lot of nice people. On my sailing, everyone seemed happy to be on the ship and in the Haven and no one was grumpy with kids or disrespectful to adults. It was an awesome time with with really nice folks.

One reason it was such a nice experience, Anoop, the concierge, and his team set the tone for the week. I saw him nicely ask a two year old not to wave a toy around because she might hit someone and: 1. the parents apologized immediately, 2. The little girl stopped and put her toy away right away and said sorry, and 3. Anoop told them it wasn't a big deal, but just to be careful. I was sitting there relaxing and hadn't noticed the little girl, but when I heard what Anoop said, I thought he, the parents and the little girl all handled it well.

Vibe is right next to the Haven sun deck and there is a door connecting them. Spice H20 is on the opposite side of the ship and was really loud: there is a huge video screen in there with movies all day and thumping music. It's more of a party atmosphere. It was nice, but not my cup of tea.

Hope you have a great cruise, we loved Getaway!

Hi Maja651,

Read my post #48 on page 3 of this thread. I just got off the Getaway during a Spring Break cruise in a Haven 2 bed Family Suite. As I said above, There are plenty of quiet places on the Haven sun deck (the upstairs part of the Haven sun deck has three separate spaces with a variety of sun, shade & seating options). While I was on the ship, the kids did not monopolize the pool or the hot tubs, lots of adults spent time in them; and as I said, everyone in the Haven got along really well. There were several multi generational families and lots of older couples, young families and several single people. Maybe I got lucky, but not one person acted out or was a jerk.

I was traveling with 16 and 13 year olds and saw kids from babies to teens. Not one single kid misbehaved and I spent the majority of my time having meals outside on the first floor of the sun deck and relaxing on the second floor looking at the ocean. I was never annoyed or bothered by kids or adults and I met a lot of nice people. On my sailing, everyone seemed happy to be on the ship and in the Haven and no one was grumpy with kids or disrespectful to adults. It was an awesome time with with really nice folks.

One reason it was such a nice experience, Anoop, the concierge, and his team set the tone for the week. I saw him nicely ask a two year old not to wave a toy around because she might hit someone and: 1. the parents apologized immediately, 2. The little girl stopped and put her toy away right away and said sorry, and 3. Anoop told them it wasn't a big deal, but just to be careful. I was sitting there relaxing and hadn't noticed the little girl, but when I heard what Anoop said, I thought he, the parents and the little girl all handled it well.

Vibe is right next to the Haven sun deck and there is a door connecting them. Spice H20 is on the opposite side of the ship and was really loud: there is a huge video screen in there with movies all day and thumping music. It's more of a party atmosphere. It was nice, but not my cup of tea.

Hope you have a great cruise, we loved Getaway!

Thanks! That helps a lot! I guess we will roll the dice and save money by not buying Vibe passes! :)

Both pay for the Haven and the vacation they envisioned. Can both parties share the same space and simultaneously achieve that vacation? That is a very good question for NCL to answer.

really? I don't think NCL can control how one feels about their vacation.

It's like the person who bitches and moans that they were made standing in a waiting area for 15 minutes with no finger foods and water just because they paid for a haven room vs the person who says "oh it's only 15 minutes and there's going to be all you can eat once you get on board".

different strokes different folks.

Some people save up all year to pay for the haven. Some people go on a drop of a dime. I would imagine expectations would be different for either person.

It'd be impossible for a 3rd party to tell someone how they should feel.

I find my dad the best case of the critical old man. He'll bitch and moan about everything even if he enjoys it. "oh that steak was good but it could have been bigger", "oh that room was nice, but i wish it wasn't so blue", "oh that drink was good, but they gave me too much"

Sometimes you just gotta let go. personally, I paid for a vacation and I'll try and make the best of it.

really? I don't think NCL can control how one feels about their vacation.

It's like the person who bitches and moans that they were made standing in a waiting area for 15 minutes with no finger foods and water just because they paid for a haven room vs the person who says "oh it's only 15 minutes and there's going to be all you can eat once you get on board".

different strokes different folks.

Some people save up all year to pay for the haven. Some people go on a drop of a dime. I would imagine expectations would be different for either person.

It'd be impossible for a 3rd party to tell someone how they should feel.

I find my dad the best case of the critical old man. He'll ***** and moan about everything even if he enjoys it. "oh that steak was good but it could have been bigger", "oh that room was nice, but i wish it wasn't so blue", "oh that drink was good, but they gave me too much"

Sometimes you just gotta let go. personally, I paid for a vacation and I'll try and make the best of it.

I agree with you completely about attitudes, a LOT of your happiness really does come from your attitude. However, rowdy, obnoxious kids and parents who are not parenting impacts everyone who they are around. You can ignore to a point, then it DOES impact you, whether you want it to or not.

I just had a vacation somewhat ruined by unruly kids in the Haven on the Breakaway. The screaming, jumping, running, diaper changing, pool and whirlpool hogs --- it was a zoo! There is so many kid areas and limited adult I wonder why the parents can’t just have some curiosity for us too that paid thousands upon thousands. I love the response well it’s our little Johnny’s vacation too. Did Johnny put in 60 hour work week and pay for it? I am sure CPS would be all over that. It seems the crew is afraid to say anything. On my last cruise, I was not able to use pool; whirlpool and I chose to eat in the specialty restaurants because of the noise and overcrowding. To me my last cruise was a waste of money. So yep kids are not only are allowed .. they can also rule the Haven.

Probably Johnny did not put in a 60 hour work week and pay for his vacation, but more than likely both of his parents did. One of the reasons, so they can afford to take their child on a wonderful vacation. I truly have no idea why someone without kids would choose to travel during a time when kids are off from school and there's bound to be tons of kids around. If I didn't have a child I certainly wouldn't.

I just had a vacation somewhat ruined by unruly kids in the Haven on the Breakaway. The screaming, jumping, running, diaper changing, pool and whirlpool hogs --- it was a zoo! There is so many kid areas and limited adult I wonder why the parents can’t just have some curiosity for us too that paid thousands upon thousands. I love the response well it’s our little Johnny’s vacation too. Did Johnny put in 60 hour work week and pay for it? I am sure CPS would be all over that. It seems the crew is afraid to say anything. On my last cruise, I was not able to use pool; whirlpool and I chose to eat in the specialty restaurants because of the noise and overcrowding. To me my last cruise was a waste of money. So yep kids are not only are allowed .. they can also rule the Haven.

Very sorry, luvwater. It sounds terrible.:(