Ohana East in Waikiki

Ramjet1997

We are staying at the Ohana East in Waikiki for some pre-cruise relaxation. Has anyone stayed at this hotel - how did you like it? Any special restaurants in the area within walking distance? How about any breakfast deals in the area?

We know that the beach is within walking distance - how about Beachwalk? Also any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you can provide as this is our first visit to Hawaii.

We stayed at the Ohana East last September for three days prior to our Pride of America cruise. I was very happy with the hotel! There is a small restaurant on the street level corner area of the hotel where we ate breakfast each day. Fairly reasonable for Hawaii. There is also a Burger King nearby if you would like fast food. There are many restaurants within walking distance--just google map and you will see them. It is a very easy walk to the beach--and we had a small view of the ocean from our lanai. You'll like the hotel! We ate at a buffet across the street. If you like asian-type food and sushi you'll love it--us not so much. But it was fun to watch the fire dancers they had. You'll also be on The Bus route (pick up in a small park next to the hotel) and on the pink line trolley which will be free if you show your hotel key. You can get around very easily this way. We took The Bus out to Diamond Head, back from Diamond Head, and out to the mall and Wal Mart. I would stay at the Ohana East again if I'm lucky enough to go back to Hawaii!

About 3 blocks up Kuhio from the hotel you'll find a little gem of a restaurant called Marukame Noodle. It's a casual restaurant - part of a Japanese chain of these restaurants in Japan, and in the evening, you'll always find a line of people out the door, waiting to get in. It serves udon noodles, handmade there on site. The place is "cafeteria" style: you take your tray, tell the counterman which noodle dish you want, then move to the tempura/musubi and pick what you want, move to the cashier and get your drink cup and pay. I've always walked out of there totally full and happy and never pay over $10 for my full dinner. You may have to wait for a table - there is no saving a table while others get their food. You can check out the idea of the restaurant and the "menu" at http://www.toridollusa.com/index.php. My favorite udon dish is the Otama Bukkake Udon: the sweet sauce (almost like a teriyaki, but not that sweet) with the soft-boiled egg on top. Yum!!! There was a sign outside saying they also did a breakfast from 7am=9am, but I never got over there to try it. It's a definite change from the usual food you'll eat on your cruise, but it's fun to try. And, you'll not be in the herd of people eating at the tourist traps on Kalakaua (Cheesecake Factory, Jimmy Buffets, etc…).