Maasdam Noro

donaldsc

Perhaps we shouldn't assume it was NORO, as it usually has two components, and to my knowledge vomiting was not involved. Perhaps we should just call it Gastro .

In regard to numbers that was 65 passengers too many. Even though the Captain and CD asked people to wash their hands there were some that laughed at their announcements , and I outed about 5 people coming out of bathrooms and not washing their hands.

The ship was healthy until Rio, and then all h...broke loose.

The crew did a fantastic job during their ordeal.

I've read you can be contagious before you know you're sick and for up to 2 weeks after symptoms are gone. It would be hard to stop it on such a long cruise.
It can be longer than 2 weeks after.

According medicinenet.com:

What is the incubation period for a norovirus infection? How long are people infected with norovirus contagious?

Norovirus may have a prolonged infection period that starts even before a patient gets sick. There is a short lag or incubation period (up to two days) between the time that people acquire the virus and the time they get symptoms. People may be contagious during this period. All people are contagious while they are having symptoms.

Although the most contagious period is over when the patient's symptoms resolve, even some people who appear to have recovered completely after a norovirus infection may continue to shed the virus for weeks in their stool and may be a source of infection to others. People with compromised immune systems (for example, those receiving chemotherapy or undergoing organ transplant) may shed the virus for months.

Edited by jtl513

Perhaps we shouldn't assume it was NORO, as it usually has two components, and to my knowledge vomiting was not involved. Perhaps we should just call it Gastro .

In regard to numbers that was 65 passengers too many. Even though the Captain and CD asked people to wash their hands there were some that laughed at their announcements , and I outed about 5 people coming out of bathrooms and not washing their hands.

The ship was healthy until Rio, and then all h...broke loose.

The crew did a fantastic job during their ordeal.

I agree with you .... some of our fellow passengers sure did not want to follow Carlos instructions to wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands..... :( I like you noticed a lot of passengers who would not use the sanitizers on entering the lido or Rotterdam dining room. Guess the rules did not apply to them.... :(

The crew did an amazing job during this time period.

In most instances, the use of hand sanitizers is completely ineffective against the spread of many viruses, especially noro. A passenger who has just thoroughly washed their hands in a washroom is better protected than grabbing a dab of hand gel.

I agree with you .... some of our fellow passengers sure did not want to follow Carlos instructions to wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands..... :( I like you noticed a lot of passengers who would not use the sanitizers on entering the lido or Rotterdam dining room. Guess the rules did not apply to them.... :(

The crew did an amazing job during this time period.

The hand sanitizer does nothing to help with noro. Washing your hands is the best protection.

In most instances, the use of hand sanitizers is completely ineffective against the spread of many viruses, especially noro. A passenger who has just thoroughly washed their hands in a washroom is better protected than grabbing a dab of hand gel.

But a little extra help can't hurt. Keep washing the hands and accept the sanitizer offered as well.

But a little extra help can't hurt. Keep washing the hands and accept the sanitizer offered as well.

For some people, the little extra can hurt. Some people may have skin conditions that are irritated by hand sanitizers. My DW works with a guy who faints the minute he is exposed to hand sanitizers. They have banned hand sanitizers from the office.

Passengers should be more concerned about their own activity and spend less time judging others.

For some people, the little extra can hurt. Some people may have skin conditions that are irritated by hand sanitizers. My DW works with a guy who faints the minute he is exposed to hand sanitizers. They have banned hand sanitizers from the office.

Passengers should be more concerned about their own activity and spend less time judging others.

Huh?? Well I can certainly understand extreme and unusual circumstances, I simply suggested a little extra help cannot hurt. Not judging anyone, so no need to be so defensive.

Seems that all the anti-bacterial things may be creating new super bugs. Many Dr.s now even recommend not using triple antibiotics on cuts---just plain Vaseline. Just when you think you're doing things right, something will prove you wrong!

Huh?? Well I can certainly understand extreme and unusual circumstances' date=' I simply suggested a little extra help cannot hurt. Not judging anyone, so no need to be so defensive.[/quote']

I am sorry Marco's Tia, The comment about judging others was not intended to be directed at your post, but at an earlier posted who commented on people who don't believe that that rules apply to them. Please accept my apologies.