EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Yes Kevin still with you and reading with interest , keep the posts going Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Julie,

Looks like I have have time to get back at it today. Thursday drove to Halifax (Nova Scotia not the one close to you:D) to pick up son #1 Adam. We had family and friends over on Saturday to celebrate Easter.

I knew Halifax, Nova Scotia was named after the UK place, like most most places here in Eastern Canada so I goggled and didn't realize how close it was to you in Leeds. Neat!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, we have only done the 10-night because we love the Eastern ports so much better than the Western. Question for you - were you allowed to order off of the MDR menu in Blu? I inquired last year about that and was told no. On a couple of nights we ate in Bistro On 5 or the Oceanview just because nothing on the Blu menu thrilled me. Wanda

Hi Wanda,

I know a few people have given you some replies on this issue. The short answer is YES!. The reason I say this is... When the Head Chef for Speciality Dining comes to you table in Blu and specifically tells you that you may order anything from the MDR menu I would take that as Gospel. When you enter Blu just ask for the MDR menu as well as the Blu Menu. We had no problem being accommodated with our MDR menu requests. Like Mark, mpace58, says most love Blu but there are a few that just like it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thank you for your extremely enjoyable review

We just disembarked on April 4

And had a wonderful time

I enjoyed looking at your review shortly before we left

And picking up where I left off now that We are back from our cruise!

Reviews with pictures are always the best!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you again for posting you review and revealing the Blu Host's name, Aurora, in your review. I also enjoy reading Reviews/Trips Reports with pictures. When I see pictures in the thread title I am more likely to click.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Seems confusion is a common theme by the staff in Blu. When were in Blu a couple of years ago we were told we could NOT order of the MDR menu, and that if wanted we could be transferred to the MDR, but if went to the MDR then we could not come back to Blu after that.

I did not like Blu at all, but DW did, and so I suffered through and ate a lot of snacks before and after dinner at Blu. YMMV.

Mark you are a trooper and for that suffering I think you deserve a nice new Go Pro Hero 3+. Did you at least enjoy the Blu breakfasts? I loved Blu for Breakfast.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

Check out the Expedition thread under roll calls if you have any interest at all in the XPedition. It is not a normal cruise but as stated summer camp for adults. If you like nature which from your monkey pictures I assume you do there is nothing like it on earth. We went in May when the Blue Footed Boobies (Birds) were mating. Unbelievably cute.

The down side if there is one is the activity level. Hikes and snorkling two times a day. You sleep like a bably because you are tired at the end of the day. The roll call blog convinced us to go and it had always been on our bucket list. I'm glad we went when we did because we were young enough, mid-late fifties, to still be in good enough shape to do the harder day time activities. I am so glad I did it and we may go back to do the other cruise. They offer two. So my advice is it you have any desire to do the XPedition, do it earlier in your life not later. You have to be able to hike several miles sometimes up hill. Also about 1/3rd of the activity is in the water snorkling so that might be a consideration. You don't have to snorkle but you miss swimming with the seals, seeing lots of fish and in my case a shark! It is not for wimps!

A couple of years back CAA (AAA in the US) was having a Cruise expo hosted in Halifax, Nova Scotia. So being the cruise geeks we are did the 3.5 hour drive over. We attended the Celebrity presentation which was given by a lovely lady who did it on Galapagos and Celebrity Xpedition. She also had pictures of the Blue Footed Boobies. I hate to also admit this: I live on an Island surrounded by beautiful beaches and I can't swim. Okay... I can't swim in water over my head. I have to be able to come up and firmly plant my feet on the ground to breath. XPedition looks great but probably not for us. But thanks for trying your best to convince us.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin ...your trip report is amazing! Thank you very much!! I spent all of last evening reading through it and so enjoyed it. I am leaving on the Equinox is just a couple of weeks...first Med cruise after it's dry dock, and reading your report has me so excited I can hardly stand it. My husband and I were on the Solstice to Hawaii last Sept., and now my daughter and I are doing the Equinox.

I do have an off topic question for you. I am considering booking the repositioning cruise that the Serenade OTS is doing out of Quebec City. I've never been to your Canada "neck of the woods", and wondering if going that late in the season for my first trip there would be advisable. It starts 10/19/15, so wondering how the weather and things to see would be at that time of year. I appreciate any info you would be able to share.

Pat :)

Firstly, thanks for your kind comments. Secondly I am pretty sure I was in your neck of woods twice. During my coaster days Donna and I travelled to Aurora, IL (9 hr drive from Toronto) to attend an ACE (American Coaster Enthusiast) NON COASTER EVENT in January. ACE would host an event at a Hotel and reps from the different parks would come and speak about all the exciting new coaster things happening at their park for the up coming season. Sounds Boring right?

Now my neck of the woods eastern Canada. The Fall maritime weather can be either beautiful or dull. Last year for example I know it was beautiful because we went down to see Summit in the Charlottetown Harbour and it was just gorgeous weather. This late in October chances are the trees have already started to change colour and lose their leaves. The downside you are arriving in the maritimes during the "shoulder" season and most "touristee" things have closed. But, the main attraction "Anne of Green Gables" will be open. 2014 is a very special year here on PEI. It is the 150th anniversary of the 1864 Charlottetown Conference where the idea of Canadian Confederation was born. Hence one of nick names... Prince Edward Island Birthplace of Confederation. among other names such as "Craddle on the Waves", " Million Acre Farm" and my favourite from Donna's mom "PEI = Pretty Every Inch".

So if you do come just dress for it. Have an all-weather fall jacket, gloves, and toque (hat) and of course your camera. Happy to answer any specific Charlottetown or PEI questions. FYI in Halifax my son works for the tour company that will put you on the bus to Peggy's Cove. (He takes your ticket and gets you to the right bus).

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Wonderful review! I just finished reading thru all of it. Can't wait for the rest. :)

Glad to have you along for the Trip Report. Hold tight because I have a barrage of photos and stories to come.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I must admit...I'm a bit jealous.

Before your posting, I had one of the most read reviews!!

It was more of a diary, called: "The Bahama Wedding Diary"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1930867&page=9

It was a 5 month story about throwing a wedding in the Bahamas...in just 5 months...from a guys point of view!

It reached almost 17,000 views....but you are killing my total number of views with your great writing!!

...and your pictures look great, too!!

I saw your photo and descriptions of each camera...but which one do you use the most!? Which one is responsible for most of the wonderful shots?

The Sony?

Let me know...'cause you convinced me to buy a new camera (and those great grips)!!!

Keep up the great work, Kevin!!!

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Stop it you are making me blush.The Celebrity forum is a very busy one and doesn't take long for your thread to get buried. So it looks like you left on Constellation on Thursday March 13? Right? We watched you leave from the 17th street causeway bridge. Here is your ship leaving maybe you can spot yourself in this Picture.:p

CE14GW_%25200073-XL.jpg

So when you look at a picture with a 4x3 aspect ratio that was taken with the Sony HX30V "point and shot" while the 16X9 aspect ratio (picture above) were taken with the Sony HDR GW77 "flip out LCD Pistol grip". Both camera are capable of both aspect ratios I just choose to stick with this setting on each camera. Why? I like to have the mix of both aspect ratios for photo books and slideshows on our Apple TV's. I previously mentioned if I was forced to pick just one I would take the Sony HDR GW77 "LCD Flip Out" for versatility... waterproof & shockproof. But, if I was buying a point and shoot today I would buy the replacement model for my Sony HX30V. Why? Optical Zoom is incredible in such a compact footprint and not to mention its incredible massive megapixel count. During my roller coaster days I got accused to using point and shot because of compact size and easy to take photos while riding. I don't own a "BIG SEXY" DSLR but Sony does sell a full 1" CMOS sensor with the Pocket Size RX100 which will give photos that will compete with the BIG SEXY DSLR's.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Bagelme -

l know you addressed your questions to Kevin, who knows a lot more about Canada than I do, but we took a 2 week cruise up the East Coast last October from NJ to Quebec City and back. It was wonderful. Quebec City is beautiful and fascinating. We love to go to Charlottetown, Halifax, etc. We hiked part of Gaspy. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We walked from the dock over to the Junior hockey rink in Charlottetown, P.E.I.. They have a lovely harness racing facility there along with the rink. We brought back some Islanders gear. (We are confessed hockey nuts and had previously been to Charlottetown and had seen the interesting historical sites. Although I have read "Anne of Green Gables" we have skipped the Anne sites so far. Maybe next time.)

Just my two cents worth, but we had such a good time that DH and I strongly recommend this cruise to everyone.

Ohiodoglover

I think it is great of those who have taken this Canada New England Cruise to give their opinion because i just live here and I am very bias towards my Prince Edward Island. Donna and I so much want to take a cruise that comes into Charlottetown because it would be so neat to sail into your home port.

I am so impressed that you took some of our "Islander" hockey stuff back to Ohio with you. Maybe you noticed me wearing my "islander" hockey stuff in some of the pictures? We love watching and cheering for our Major Junior Hockey Team the "Charlottetown Islanders". There are three top Major Junior leagues in Canada that make up the CHL which supplies most of talent that is drafted into the NHL. Actually the American College program also supplies a great deal of Talent also to the NHL. The US has been kicking our butts at the recent World Juniors. Personally I would much rather watch Canada vs. US than any other opponent.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Loving your review, such a wonderful visual of your trip. As a fellow Canadian and Halagonian :p I totally get the PEI vantage point.

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful photos. Picture reports are the best!

So great to have a fellow maritimer along. You know/relate how much we love and show our pride of being a Maritimer? Went over to Halifax on Thursday... you know us Islanders and our Costco. Boy! that Bayer's lake Costco Got busy Thursday afternoon.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hello Kevin, thanks for your comprehensive and entertaining review...

Our previous cruise was on Carnival Spirit whose home port is now Sydney (that's Sydney Australia not the Sydney in Nova Scotia).

Hi Rob,

Firstly I am very impressed with your knowledge of Canadian geography. Seriously I have heard stories of people who have booked Airline tickets to "Sydney" deplaned in Nova Scotia and though they were going to Sydney, Australia. :D

must admit it took me sometime to work out that PEI stood for Prince Edward Island. It seems/looks like a lovely part of the world. We live half a world away in Geelong, Victoria Australia.....another beautiful part of the world.

A trip to the US/Canada incorporating a cruise either up the west coast inside passage or the Caribbean are definitely on the bucket list but some way off whilst we continue to work. Your review has only made me more committed to making such a journey.

Thanks again and keep up the excellent reporting.

Cheers

Rob

No excuse required if you did not know where/What PEI was. Please do not test me on my Australian geography. Cheers to you if you make the journey over here for you Canada New England Cruise. Just so expensive and long to fly.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

KEVIN where are you. You haven't posted since 17th April, and I am sitting here with baited breath!!

I am back from our quick Easter break. Stayed Tuned Dominica is up next.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

2000 miles to the south, and we have the same linguistic roots from the same motherland.

Down here it's "G'oan wit'cha." That's as close as I can spell it phonetically.

Still here. Still enjoying your review and reminiscing about the Equinox.

We have so many saying here in eastern Canada that are derived from our British Isle roots and I am sure other places in Canada or the US would have no idea what we are talking about.

Glad you are still along for the ride.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Sunset

[Friends] So Kevin where are going on your cruise?

[Kevin] We are going on a Day 10 Caribbean Cruise.

[Friends] What Cruise Line?

[Kevin] We like sailing with Celebrity.

[Friends] So what places are going to visit?

[Kevin] US Virgin Islands, St Kitts, Barbados, Dominica, St Maartens.

[Friends] Yeah! We have been to Dominican Republic...

So how many of you have had that conversation above? Then you must explain that you are visiting the Commonwealth of Dominica which is a separate and different country from the country of Dominican Republic? To be honest I never heard of the Island country of Dominica until our 2010 cruise. Just one visit was enough for us in fall in love with this beautiful island paradise. Just yesterday while showing our son, Adam, Dominica pictures he commented how beautiful and colourful Roseau's port was. But before I get to Dominica we first must arrive there so that means we must start with sunrise pictures.

So from Barbados we headed back north towards Fort Lauderdale which means the sunrise will get a little later in the morning. This morning sunrise was at 6:10 AM.

First peek at the sun starting rise out of the horizon.

CE14HX_%25201382-XL.jpg

This morning I decided to go up to Deck 15 at the bow of the ship to get some pictures and videos rather than my normal Deck 15 Lawn Club.

CE14iK_%25200034-XL.jpg

The next pic of the sun getting higher in the sky. You know it really does not take the sun very long to start making its move into the sky once it pops out of the horizon.

CE14HX_%25201387-XL.jpg

Looking back on Deck 15 towards aft. Not many people yet up at this hour.

CE14HX_%25201394-XL.jpg

From the bow of Deck 15 Dominica is in the distance.

CE14GP_%25200133-XL.jpg

The final picture of the sunset is a panographic of the bow. I just love how it curves in the middle to make the shot.

CE14iK_%25200054-XL.jpg

Next Up coming into Roseau, Taxi Tour, and Balcony Smoking.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Kevin yes I am led to believe a lot of Canadian cities are the same as here in the uk , we live 8 miles from Leeds and I was born in Leeds so I am a Leeds lass through and through !! We have relations living in Canada Toronto I love canada xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[Friends] So Kevin where are going on your cruise?

[Kevin] We are going on a Day 10 Caribbean Cruise.

[Friends] What Cruise Line?

[Kevin] We like sailing with Celebrity.

[Friends] So what places are going to visit?

[Kevin] US Virgin Islands, St Kitts, Barbados, Dominica, St Maartens.

[Friends] Yeah! We have been to Dominican Republic...

So how many of you have had that conversation above? Then you must explain that you are visiting the Commonwealth of Dominica which is a separate and different country from the country of Dominican Republic?

The first time I heard of this country was watching the DVD commentary on Pirates 2. Jerry Bruckheimer said the same thing. Most people think it's Dominican Republic. I want to go so bad to the gorge where they filmed. Part 2 was my favorite!

Glad to see you continue the TR. Photos are great as always!

Docking in Roseau

The weather for Dominica was looking very promising as we were pulling into port. This would be another day of blue skies and clouds cooperating with picture taking. Dominica is a part of the British Commonwealth and became an independent country in 1978. Maybe it is this tie in with the Commonwealth why we felt so welcomed here. Dominica has a wealth of geothermal activity and which I later learned that Canada did help out with foreign aid in this area. It gives you so a great sense of pride while on a tour and the guides are pointing out items that the people/government of Canada donated. Getting ahead of myself here.

Picture below Roseau's port ready to welcome the beautiful Celebrity Equinox.

CE14HX_%25201400-XL.jpg

A shot down Deck eleven towards aft as the ropes are coming out.

CE14GW_%25200720-XL.jpg

Back in 2005 our first time in the Caribbean I would notice all of the Canadian banks in the Caribbean. So I generally will take pictures of Canadian banks during my trip. Here is the RBC one of the big banks in Canada. I forgot where I was last year but, somebody on one of excursions thought that RBC stood for Royal Bank of Caribbean. Zoom in from our Balcony.

CE14GW_%25200725-XL.jpg

So for Dominica today we brought out our $2 dollar store Canadian flag. We just used packing tape to make it stick. We tried to put up our PEI Flag but the heat let the tape slip. This cheap dollar store would do the trick for today. Don't worry we did take it down before we sailed away so that it would not end up in the ocean. Main reason I put it up was so I would be able to zoom in on it later.

CE14HX_%25201417-XL.jpg

I Like this next picture it looks so natural... the two of us just sitting out their on our balcony enjoying the day along with the view. But, it was not that simple: made Donna move to the other side so I could run out to the balcony, close patio door, get seated, and posed before the 10 second self timer went off. Did it fool you?

CE14HX_%25201416-XL.jpg

Last picture of our docking is a panoramic of downtown Roseau including the bridge wing.

CE14KW_%25200266-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Taxi Guided Tour

After another great breakfast in Blu we were ready to hit land. So let me tell you our story from 2010 which lead to what we decided to do for 2014. In 2010 we had no intention of doing anything other than get off the ship late and just venture around the port. So we walk off and soon as we walk off the dock we are approached by a young man with sign in hand wanting to offer us a tour. We keeping saying no and then no again and then once again we said no. But for some reason 2 minutes later we were sitting in one of his vans ready for the tour to begin. The other folks in the van with us were from the UK and they had the same story they all said no but ended up in the van. Good Thing because to me it is the Gold Standard that I now use to compare other tours to. So for 2014 we decided we do the same thing with Ken and Norma Jean and get a taxi tour of the highlights.

But first a picture of our balcony from the dock. Are you able to pick which balcony is our?

CE14KW_%25200302-XL.jpg

So like most men I did the manly thing and let Donna do the negotiating. There was another couple on the dock looking for 4 to make six at $20/person.

CE14HX_%25201443-XL.jpg

The Taxi driver walked us back to his mini passenger van which was in very good condition and before we pulled out an independent guide hopped in who provide narration for the morning. Our first stop was the Taxi driver's "personal" favourite lookout spot which was in a nice residential area of Roseau. (didn't see this one in 2010) Nice! this is off to a good start.

CE14KW_%25200298-XL.jpg

We would pull off at certain spots for the view. I love how enterprising people can be. These look out spots also make Perfect spots to sell things. More power to them I say.

CE14KW_%25200314-XL.jpg

One of the highlights of Dominica is the Trafalgar Falls. I have to give Celebrity credit here on this deal. The Falls were closed to private taxis until after 1:00 PM. Which meant we would not be going. Personally I have no problem with Celebrity getting exclusive right to the falls. Of course leave it to the locals they still got you to see the falls but only from a distance. Next picture is a zoom in from our vantage point.

CE14HX_%25201474-XL.jpg

Next picture is the area that the local taxi driver will take you to get a look at the falls.

CE14iK_%25200066-XL.jpg

Do not despair you falls lovers I will cheat and show you a couple of pictures from 2010. Next!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

More Tour, LemonGrass. & Sulphur

So please allow me to cheat here a bit and share with you two photos from 2010 of the Trafalgar falls. I remember putting my hand in the water and it was almost as warm as bath water.

DSC03948-XL.jpg

I know, I know we look so much younger in 2014's pictures than this 2010 photo.

DSC03983-XL.jpg

So the next stop was the Sulphur spring and on the way we stopped along the way where another Taxi driver passed in some lemongrass. The Taxi Driver cracked it in front of the AC and created a nice smell.

Next picture is Ken sniffing the Lemon grass.

CE14HX_%25201484-XL.jpg

The Sulphur spring is a very popular stop. All the running water made me want to go # 1 so I gladly paid the $1 entry fee. The Guide showed us this plant that when you touched it would retract itself... pretty neat. I think I got that on video from my Go Pro on my cap. The next couple of pictures are of the hot springs. You need smell-o- vision to smell the rotten egg smell.

CE14HX_%25201489-XL.jpg

CE14HX_%25201496-XL.jpg

The guide also pointed out this next beautiful flower which we later saw again at the Botanical Gardens. I believe it is called the Parrot flower for obvious reasons.

CE14iD_%25200139-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Botanical Gardens - Cannonball

Like I said the Sulphur Spring is a pretty busy spot as you can tell from the next pictures with vendors set up.

CE14HX_%25201506-XL.jpg

Remember from Barbados our Agapey Chocolate Factory tour? Well along the way we passed by a tree that was bearing a cocoa fruit bean (seed). This picture is taken from inside the van so not that clear. The plant from the trees are quite large and can grow as large as footballs. (that is American/Canadian Footballs not soccer football)

CE14HX_%25201518-XL.jpg

Next to last stop was a walking tour of the Botanical Gardens. As I Understand a place where non native plants and tree are planted. Here is Donna with her arms wrapped around a " you fill in the blanks" tree. (I don't remember the name)

CE14HX_%25201524-XL.jpg

This next tree is called the Cannonball Tree named for the shape of the fruit it bears. The fruit has no use and creates a very foul odour when it falls to ground and cracks open. The tour guide told me that the locals don't call it the Cannonball tree but rather "The Devil Sh__ Tree". I think you Know what the other two letters are? I should also note that picture below shows a parasite tree taking over the outside of the Cannonball tree

CE14HX_%25201532-XL.jpg

Thankfully we did not get the pleasure of smelling the fruit. But this does flower with a pretty nice flower... take a look.

CE14iD_%25200133-XL.jpg

I am not sure what this next tree(s) is but, sure made a great place to take a group picture.

CE14KW_%25200296-XL.jpg

Up Next That Poor Bus.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

The Poor School Bus

I love this next story of the poor little school bus told to us by our taxi driver in 2010. During our tour he had pointed out certain infrastructures that were funded by the Canadian Government then the school bus. As per our 2010 taxi driver this bus was donated to Dominica in June 1979. It would sit where it stand today until school would start back up in September. But on August 29, 1979 Hurricane David blew in and toppled this tree onto their new school bus before they even got to use it once. How is that for an extremely sad story?

CE14iD_%25200137-XL.jpg

Our last stop I believe is called Morne Bruce lookout point which gives a fantastic view of Roseau and Celebrity Equinox docked.

CE14iK_%25200069-XL.jpg

I think I like this vantage point more than the Skyride back at USVI. You can get some pretty neat picture of Equinox from here.

CE14HX_%25201588-XL.jpg

Roseau Cricket field. Yeah! something like baseball but they don't use gloves to catch the ball. Sorry! Non Canadian and American Readers but I know zero about cricket.

CE14HX_%25201596-XL.jpg

One more picture I wanted to share with you from Morne Bruce. Remember that Canadian Flag I put out on the balcony? This next picture is the reason why. How's this for a zoom from a point and shot?

CE14HX_%25201577-XL.jpg

So back to the port we go and quite another enjoyable scenic tour of Dominica for us. We tipped both the driver and tour guide separately. They were excellent and showed pride in their country.

Sorry to do this folks but is already 11:00 PM and I better get to bed. Tomorrow I will wrap up Dominica including our Balcony smoker story and our visit to my favourite speciality Tuscan.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Hi Dwayne,

. But, if I was buying a point and shoot today I would buy the replacement model for my Sony HX30V. Why? Optical Zoom is incredible in such a compact footprint and not to mention its incredible massive megapixel count.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to answer!! I have always been a Canon man (mostly because I get them at cost....) but it looks like I might have to pay retail and get a Sony!!??? Thanks again for the info!:)

Dwayne