Pirate Day!

MichelleChell

Of course they are copying Disney, just like they copied NCL with the electric white night or whatever CCL calls theirs.

Doesn't make it a bad thing. They see it working for others so they are going to try their version.

CCL in recent times is always reacting to what the other lines do instead of just coming up with their own ideas.

Plenty of peeps love CCL so it's not a bad thing I guess. :)

Bill

Like the adult scavenger hunt, whose name escapes me right now.

You do when it's YOUR idea.

What? Are you joking?? So things like birthday Parties, children's games, card games, shouldn't be played or done because they were someone else's idea? What about Karaoke?

I think the response of being a copy cat is a bit childish.

Of course they are copying Disney, just like they copied NCL with the electric white night or whatever CCL calls theirs.

Doesn't make it a bad thing. They see it working for others so they are going to try their version.

CCL in recent times is always reacting to what the other lines do instead of just coming up with their own ideas.

Plenty of peeps love CCL so it's not a bad thing I guess. :)

Bill

Exactly! :)

What? Are you joking?? So things like birthday Parties, children's games, card games, shouldn't be played or done because they were someone else's idea? What about Karaoke?

I think the response of being a copy cat is a bit childish.

One reason copyright laws exist. Some think things are there for the taking.

Disney had a lot of pirates long before POTC came out...ahem Hook...ahem probably even further back than that...

It's true that they don't own pirates, but they DO feature an awesome Pirate event night on all their Non-Alaska sailings with great deck shows like Captain Jack Sparrow taking back the ship after the pirates 'commandeered' it and setting off a huge fireworks show.

For the previous poster that mentioned dressing up like pirate wenches, they be right! We loved it. We came prepared last year and now we have the guys ready to go this time.

It would still be fun to dress like a pirate on any ship, but the reason Disney comes to mind for so many of the posts is because that is classic Disney cruising and something they have been doing well for a very long time.

Yawn. CCL is late to the party...

Carnival was started in 1972 and Disney Cruise in 1995. I guess by that token, Disney copied Carnival by having a cruise line period...SMH. Yes, that's absurd.

My point on even commenting on this thread was because I came after hearing about the new "Pirate" theme being discussed and was hoping to see ideas and suggestions from others as this does interest me. That is how it used to work when I first started here and it was great to trade info with other like people. If you didn't like something or it didn't interest you, you skipped that thread. If you had a bad experience, you wrote about from a factual based experience not speculation, or you wrote a review. If it didn't interest you, you left it alone and let others enjoy it. Just seems like every thread I go into lately has the same people complaining about everything. I would love to get back to the old way. Ok, I'm done now and want to get back to the original reason I found the thread.

So, I for one, will participate and enjoy this. I'm thinking I might actually have to break out the sewing machine for this as bought costumes never fit me in the right places. It's either too big in one area or I'm spilling out of the other. I'm not about skimpy and want some coverage.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for DYI or good websites?

Edited by Velcro911

Carnival was started in 1972 and Disney Cruise in 1995. I guess by that token, Disney copied Carnival by having a cruise line period...SMH. Yes, that's absurd.

I hope you find an outfit you like. For instance, if you are a lady, an oversized peasant shirt (available just about anywhere including consignment!) will do with a great wide belt. We actually found perfect lace up wide 'corset' style pirate belts at our mall in HotTopic this week. Cinch the waist with a wide belt (and for a wenchier version, you can pull one or both shoulders down and even take a safety pin and 'tack up' one side of a peasant style skirt.) Easy peasy! Fishnets if you are bold. Hoop earrings, head scarf or hat (I have a great one from my old renaissance faire days, those goodies can be re-used for pirate night).

If you are a dude, a good pirate shirt is probably your best best, but if you don't want to order a lace-up renaissance man style shirt, I heard of someone cutting felt into a vest for their man to wear. I bought a cheap costume for my honey and we shall see how it fits him...

As for the quote above, Disney developed cruising not to copy CCL but because Walt LOVED the sea, had his honeymoon on a sea cruise, and had lots of Steamboat Willie and other cartoon segments, many of which featured ocean liners or pirates. This would have been going back before the 70s. I also was under the impression they might have been in cahoots with Big Red Boat way way back in the day, but I could be wrong about that.

If I end up on any more CCLs and I know that there is a pirate night, I will definitely be dressing up! And on May 7, I'm gonna rock our Magic Pirate Night! So I'll take advantage of any pirate night or theme night to dress up.

No one is poo-poo-ing the thread. They just are disappointed that CCL isn't able to market some original concepts of their own. Its just hard to imagine that CCL's could compare to live 'pirate actors' interacting with you and Captain Sparrow swooping down from the crows nest, live on deck...

So, I for one, will participate and enjoy this. I'm thinking I might actually have to break out the sewing machine for this as bought costumes never fit me in the right places. It's either too big in one area or I'm spilling out of the other. I'm not about skimpy and want some coverage.

Have you looked on Pinterest? I have gotten lots of craft/sewing type ideas from there.

I love that they are trying something different. And who cares where they got the idea? Life is too short to not have fun. :D

Diane

Totally agree! Many passengers take more than one cruise per year on the same ship so it is good to change things around and introduce new things. Keeps it fresh.

MARAPRINCE

My point on even commenting on this thread was because I came after hearing about the new "Pirate" theme being discussed and was hoping to see ideas and suggestions from others as this does interest me. That is how it used to work when I first started here and it was great to trade info with other like people. If you didn't like something or it didn't interest you, you skipped that thread. If you had a bad experience, you wrote about from a factual based experience not speculation, or you wrote a review. If it didn't interest you, you left it alone and let others enjoy it. Just seems like every thread I go into lately has the same people complaining about everything. I would love to get back to the old way. Ok, I'm done now and want to get back to the original reason I found the thread.

Depending on how authentic you want to go, you could get a period pattern and sew up a costume. Since I do re-enact and I do steampunk I might participate. I may take a skirt, poet too and corset to wear over it or replace the skirt with a pair of breeches. Then just add scarves. Pirates weren't just a Carib thing so you could incorporate any culture in that you wanted. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

It would make more sense to have Pirate Day be during times when the most children are on board. Disney goes all out, and my grandsons adore pirate nights. The menus, the games, the show. All very cool and then topped off with fireworks. Can't be beat. I have some fantastic videos of the boys "shaking their bootys" and arrghing away that I will treasure forever. Somehow, however, I don't think Carnival will do as good a job just based on the lame activities they had in their camps.

• 1 month later...