Ncl star

ranchette

I just read that the ncl Star flunked their sanitary inspection. Has anyone gone on this ship recently? I know there was a norovirus brakeout in January but I wonder how the ship is now. We're planning to cruise in Feb. 2015 and now I'm having second thoughts.

I would have no problems sailing on the Star today. She may have had some problems during inspection but believe me what they did next was fix every problem. Noro happens on every cruise line. No one is totally immune. Someone who is sick enters the ship and spreads it. NCL or any other cruise line can not stop that part.

Go and have fun and take normal precautions like washing your hands often and do not touch your face until you have.

I just read that the ncl Star flunked their sanitary inspection. Has anyone gone on this ship recently? I know there was a norovirus brakeout in January but I wonder how the ship is now. We're planning to cruise in Feb. 2015 and now I'm having second thoughts.

I suggest reading the CDC report. Jim Walker is a lawyer who has made a career out of suing and disparaging cruise lines.

Many of the items in the report are not as damning as Walker makes them sound.

Prior scores for the Star were as high as 99 out of 100.

Many of the failures were due to improper reporting of noro cases and improper labeling and adjustment of equipment.

I did not see the examples of filth in the reports that Walker mentioned.

Wash your hands OFTEN and don't use the washy washy crap. It is NOT a substitute for washing your hands. Follow that advice and you should have no issues.

ice to the cabins halted and buffet was closed

gem jan 2014, didn't get sick but I guess others did from SOMETHING SOMEPLACE SOMEONE, can not worry about it. Its like sending your kid to school sick to make everyone else sick,

never worried about it..

I wouldn't worry about it unless a pattern develops, which I highly doubt will. I will be on her in March 2015 and am not worried. However, I will pay attention now to make sure it is just an anomaly.

Edited by cdamion

We will be sailing on the Star on April 13th, and I'm not worried. We have sailed Code Red on HAL before and didn't get sick.

This time we have our 11 month old granddaughter with us and I will be a maniac about keeping her hands clean. LOL :D

Pat

Actually I have ZERO concerns about my upcoming Star trip and you shouldn't either.

I went and read the actual report and the failing score was mostly about how they handled their Noro outbreak and their failure to document a lot about it.

As far as actual cleanliness, it was not bad at all.

If you read that cruise law blog about the inspection, it was a gross over-exaggeration of what the report says.

Here is the actual report: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg2NDAyNjA%3d-nwH3OHd5gxw%3d

We spent 28 days on the Star in January/February and I would not hesitate to go again. The cruise before ours had a noro outbreak necessitating sanitizing the ship before we boarded. Precautions were in place for the entire first 14 days. No outbreak. A new group of passengers boarded in LA with the restrictions lifted. That lasted until after Cabo when cases started again. Restrictions were put back in place and the ship was not subject to the CDC inspection upon return to Miami. We stayed well.

The crew worked extremely hard sanitizing public areas on a constant basis. On the previous cruise, cases arose after the port stop in Costa Rica. We were cautioned about street food and beverages in the ports.

Actually I have ZERO concerns about my upcoming Star trip and you shouldn't either.

I went and read the actual report and the failing score was mostly about how they handled their Noro outbreak and their failure to document a lot about it.

As far as actual cleanliness, it was not bad at all.

If you read that cruise law blog about the inspection, it was a gross over-exaggeration of what the report says.

Here is the actual report: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg2NDAyNjA%3d-nwH3OHd5gxw%3d

Thanks so much for linking this. Indeed the violations all seem to be about documentation. We were onboard during the cruise in question and observed meticulous sanitizing going on all the time. The entire crew worked really hard to keep us well.

I was on the Star for a B2B cruise through Panama Canal leaving Miami to LA and then LA to Miami from January 19th through February 16th. Yes, there was a noro break out both ways.......

However, with washing hands with hot water before meals, after meals, after bathroom breaks, etc. etc. etc. and not putting hands in mouth, etc. we did not catch anything.

The crew was outstanding with washing down everything at all times. Great job they did with smiles too!

I'd cruise with her again tomorrow if I could.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Recent Noro outbreaks in the last three months include, a 5 star resort on the east coast, a Applebee's, and a large VA facility of 3k in southern Oregon. Why do people think it only happens on Cruise ships? It is just easier to track because of the captive audience. I wish there were people at every public place asking people to wash their hands, so unless one wants to become a hermit and never leave the house a cruise would be one of your safest bets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recent Noro outbreaks in the last three months include, a 5 star resort on the east coast, a Applebee's, and a large VA facility of 3k in southern Oregon. Why do people think it only happens on Cruise ships? It is just easier to track because of the captive audience. I wish there were people at every public place asking people to wash their hands, so unless one wants to become a hermit and never leave the house a cruise would be one of your safest bets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise ships are required to report it. Hotels, restaurants, etc. aren't.....from my understanding.

Harriet

Cruise ships are required to report it. Hotels, restaurants, etc. aren't.....from my understanding.

Harriet

Another factor with hotels is that people are in and out daily

You have the same people on a cruise ship long enough for the symptoms to develop and spread.