Steel Drums and Caribbean Music Coming Back

sjcruiser

It is not degrading the OP. In my opinion, it is just to cut down on the misinformation and speculation posted here, as well as the bad relationship between John Heald (JH) and the Cruise Critic community.

A few days ago, someone created a thread speculating if Carnival would ever consider eliminating traditional dining times due to a growing interest in flexible dining times. No more than 30 minutes later, there were multiple posts from Cruise Critic members on JH blog demanding Carnival maintain the traditional dining times, to the point where JH had to post a comment.

It seems to me JH has to spend a lot of time defusing the bombs created here at Cruise Critic. If you do not correct the misinformation, then it leads to multiple posts daily on Cruise Critic saying JH lied to them about steel drums coming back to the Lido deck.

I get what you are saying. It just seems the replies (3 in a row) were very quick to accuse the OP of spreading misinformation when I saw it as simply a mistaken translation of what JH said. Perhaps the other thread you refer to about dining times had people on edge.

My very first cruise, on the Fantasy, the steel from band on the Lido deck played for us until 4 am while my friends and I jumped/danced around the deck. I don't think we saw them again for the rest of the cruise. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Seriously what has happened to this board where 3 or 4 people need to attack the OP for a simple misinterpretation of what JH said? Ridiculous. Some people equate Caribbean music to Steel Drums, so it isn't that far fetched. I just don't get why everyone needs to flame, especially after the OP was already flamed for it. What do you all think? "He they got that wrong and 3 people told them what idiots they are but now I have to further degrade them!"????

I was thinking the same thing. The OP obviously got excited and in his haste to post the news made the mistake of assuming that this meant steel drums. How many of you does it take to hold his feet to the fire? Couldn't one of you politely tell him he was mistaken and the rest of you go find someone else to get ugly with and show how superior your reading skills are?

If you stress this much over something this simple, I'd hate to see you when someone makes a real mistake. Relax.

I'm having visions of the solo guy with an electronic keyboard singing "Copacabana". I hope that's not what Carnival has in mind when they say that they're "bringing back live music". :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

When going to the Caribbean steel drums are a must to set the tone! The DJ playing rap and hip hop non stop and quite loud had turned me away from Carnival. Bring back the steel drums or find a DJ who knows how to play all kinds music.

I agree. Ilike the steel drum bands but I don't have a problem with a DJ instead IF he is a decent DJ that everyone can enjoy. Here is my example;

On Freedom, the DJ just sucked! He played 100% rap and hip hop and never anything else, all day long! And It was so loud I eventually left the pool area because I just could not take it, and I have been to plenty of heavy metal concerts. Multiple people asked him to turn it down and to play something else and he refused.

On the Breeze, the DJ was fantastic! He played a mix of music that actually created a party atmosphere around the pool with everyone dancing and singing all afternoon. It was loud, but not too loud.

So while I love the live music, I can deal with a DJ as long as he is not a horrible one like the guy on the Freedom. :cool:

I felt the same way on the Freedom in January. Not so much with the volume but what he was playing. One late afternoon on a sea day he was up there mixing & scratching some awful rap music like it was 2 am in a dance club. I don't mind rap but this was a little over the top given the circumstances. Please bring back the steel drums!

I wonder how long it will take Carnival to get the bands onboard?

I would think it shouldn't take long at all. My cruise is in September. I will be front and center checking it out. My guess, only a guess, is around 2 months.? This needs to be expedited!! I wish I could tag John Heald in this post...

Edited by cruisemama1

Awesome! I have no problem with rap; in fact, it's great for grinding with your new friends in the ship's nightclub. But when I'm going to the lido deck for the first time or enjoying a fun day at sea, I want something fun and fellow. Something like Bob Marley or Jimmy Buffett. (I remember "Margaritaville" playing in Port Canaveral; totally got me in the cruise mood.) Doesn't have to be specifically their songs, since royalties cost money and good cover bands are hard to find, but something in the likes of those artists would be great. And perhaps ragtime music can be played for Alaska itineraries, since it was popular when the territory was first purchased.

(1000th post! Whoo-hoo!)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

It seems to me JH has to spend a lot of time defusing the bombs created here at Cruise Critic. If you do not correct the misinformation, then it leads to multiple posts daily on Cruise Critic saying JH lied to them about steel drums coming back to the Lido deck.

There a reason any line, but the only one actively trying to discredit sites like Cruise Critic is that all the helpful hints mentioned here are time and money saving tips. More money in OUR pockets is a good thing for us. They don't share that love.

And perhaps ragtime music can be played for Alaska itineraries

You know what was one of the most wonderful things about our last Alaska cruise last summer as we sailed by the amazing scenery? Being poolside on the Lido deck and listening to....NOTHING! :D

Alaska is such a wonderful, multi-sensory experience that throwing any type of music on open decks would only disrupt it.

And perhaps ragtime music can be played for Alaska itineraries, since it was popular when the territory was first purchased.

(1000th post! Whoo-hoo!)

I was quite happy on my Mexican Riviera cruise, having Mariachi bands playing their thing on deck, and even a local band coming through the dining room during llunch at one of our stops.

As well as a Hawaiin quartet armed with ukeleles on our Hawaiin cruise all the way across the Pacific.

It's funny, hypothetically, I always thought the steel drums would be nice to return.

But last week, the live steel drums in port during the 15 minute wait for a tender for return back to ship, was at least 14 minutes too long. What was I thinking??!? :(

Ditto. A couple of years ago my wfe and I were eating on the second floor of a restaurant in St Maarten, on their outside balcony. Outside were a couple of young men playing steel drums extremely badly. After about ten minutes of this they took a break, and received a fair bit of applause from the diners (I believe for stopping)!

When they are well played, we love them, but this was like nails on a chalkboard!

Kevin C

It doesn't say steel drums. It says live music on the Lido and Caribbean music. Im excited either way.

Me too! Anything is better than a two hour Billy Joel partial piano/partial lecture that we were subjected to on the big screen at the Lido deck pool on Breeze during the middle of a beautiful Caribbean afternoon last week! Nothing against Billy Joel, but it didn't exactly enhance the atmosphere of the moment LOL!!

It is not degrading the OP. In my opinion, it is just to cut down on the misinformation and speculation posted here, as well as the bad relationship between John Heald (JH) and the Cruise Critic community.

A few days ago, someone created a thread speculating if Carnival would ever consider eliminating traditional dining times due to a growing interest in flexible dining times. No more than 30 minutes later, there were multiple posts from Cruise Critic members on JH blog demanding Carnival maintain the traditional dining times, to the point where JH had to post a comment.

B-I-N-G-O

B-I-N-G-O

B-I-N-G-O

And Bingo was his name-o.

You know what was one of the most wonderful things about our last Alaska cruise last summer as we sailed by the amazing scenery? Being poolside on the Lido deck and listening to....NOTHING! :D

Alaska is such a wonderful, multi-sensory experience that throwing any type of music on open decks would only disrupt it.

Well, I wasn't suggesting playing music all the time. I doubt the musicians would have the energy for it, especially with woodwind and brass instruments. But what could be more fun than docking in Skagway or just sailing out of it, and listening to some ragtime songs? That's what the Klondike Gold Rush prospectors listened to when they passed through Skagway. Maybe throw in a Russian folk song, even something cheesy like the Tetris music, as homage to who sold the territory and made Alaska cruises possible. Alaska is as much about history as it is about nature. So if that doesn't set the mood for Alaska, I don't know what will :).

It's a nice way to strike a balance between Carnival's "fun ships" image and the relatively sedate nature of Alaska cruises. If the new American Table/American Feast menus can have foods from local ports of call, then why not play music from local ports of call?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Seriously what has happened to this board where 3 or 4 people need to attack the OP for a simple misinterpretation of what JH said? Ridiculous. Some people equate Caribbean music to Steel Drums, so it isn't that far fetched. I just don't get why everyone needs to flame, especially after the OP was already flamed for it. What do you all think? "He they got that wrong and 3 people told them what idiots they are but now I have to further degrade them!"????

In any case I'd welcome more live music but last year JH was saying the same thing on FB. It never happened.

I don't get it either. I think they are called cyber bullies:rolleyes:

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE 2.0 DOWNGRADES. We got off the Liberty last week, food was the worst in eight carnival cruises. Pizza is like paper thin. The burgers were good. You could listen to a DJ anywhere. What so special about that. He was called Dork the DJ. I am still waiting for my comment card coming in e mail.