Why are oceanias excursions most expensive

DrJW

Personally I do not care what they charge for something I will never use

shore excursions, martinis, hairdresser, gift shop items (jewelry and watches).

Let them make a profit where they can. The market will control the cost. No takers and the prices will go down. Lots of takers and the prices will remain steady or increase.

Perhaps Seabourn and Silverseas higher -quite a bit - cruise prices allows them to offer shorex at lower prices' date=' since their profits are already secured and don't have to rely on 'extras' to meet the bottom line![/quote']

I don't find Oceania prices that much different---except for the airfare perhaps---We typicall book a penthouse 1,2 or 3--because this cabin is similar in size to Seabourn and Silversea standard cabins (280 square feet w/o veranda).

We travel on Oceania because they have great itineraries and a highly enjoyable travel experience.

I don't find Oceania prices that much different---except for the airfare perhaps---We typicall book a penthouse 1,2 or 3--because this cabin is similar in size to Seabourn and Silversea standard cabins (280 square feet w/o veranda).

We travel on Oceania because they have great itineraries and a highly enjoyable travel experience.

Yes, but for the Oceania Passenger who is not sailing at the Suite Level, even the least expensive cabin on Seabourn or Silversea is bound to produce palpitations.

For those people, Oceania can be significantly less expensive.

There are also those passengers (usually not the CC type) who will only take ship excursions. We have all heard the line so frequently cited.....if something happens the ship will wait for you....... Or, they don't trust anyone but the cruise company....... So, pricing will never matter to this group.

It all goes to the cruise company's bottom line - so if they want to subsidize my cruise - and they're more comfortable and happy on a ship excursion - it's a win/win for all involved.

"usually not the CC type?????!!!!!!" WTH?!

My experience - and YMMV - is that those on this forum who do not wish to invest huge amounts of time into arranging their own tours, and who choose to buy the ship's tours (paying extra for convenience!) are generally scorned and bullied here. It is subtle, but it happens.

As many have noted, if the tours were not a money maker for O they would be discontinued. And I say again, go to the lounge in the morning when tours are being called -- there are plenty of folks utilizing ship's tours.

I know many of you disapprove of those of us who are not above riding on a bus with a larger group, but can you please refrain from judging? A similar plea was issued regarding judgements on those who buy drink packages, buy unlimited internet, pay for spa services, etc etc. I respect those of you who arrange private excursions. I have happily joined a few over the years. But DH and I have been pretty well pleased with the ship's excursions , expensive tho they are.

You spend money as you wish. We will do what we wish. Snicker up your sleeves all you want, but the tours are not without value to some of us.

Donna

Edited by Toranut97

Please accept my apologies. It was not meant in that spirit in any way. Actually, it was meant more along the lines of what Laraine said. Basically, that Oceania allows one to do as one wishes.

I've been trying hard not to post things through my own personal filters - since there has been a run on that on CC lately. That one slipped through. Again, I am sorry.

Please accept my apologies. It was not meant in that spirit in any way. Actually, it was meant more along the lines of what Laraine said. Basically, that Oceania allows one to do as one wishes.

I've been trying hard not to post things through my own personal filters - since there has been a run on that on CC lately. That one slipped through. Again, I am sorry.

Thanks for your gracious apology.

Have a good one.

Donna

Donna - I do think it may be true that some who take the ship's tours are not on CC (we represent only a small percentage of cruisers) and do not even know they can arrange small group tours with fellow cruisers through a roll call. I have met plenty such cruisers and turned them on to CC. One first time O cruiser I met on a cruise actually thought she was REQUIRED to take the ship's tours and was complaining about the thousands she had spent. (She also brought 3 nights worth of formal wear so I guess she was totally uninformed).

There is nothing wrong with taking a ship's tour -- as I said -- nice we have choices. I think there are, however, some folks who do not even know they have a choice.

We're headed to Alaska on Regatta for the first time this June. Because there is so much else to see in the world, this trip is a "sampler" - if there's something that strikes our fancy in just the right way, we'd return on our own for an extended stay (without cruise ship). That said, we'll be doing a well researched excursion in each port to get the most out of our "sampling" trip.

I've compared prices for what my research found to be the best excursions (e.g., Misty Fjords seaplane or Helicopter out of Juneau) and found Oceania's "world your way" (25% off four or more excursions) to price out at about 10-15% higher than private tours recommended by folks on CC (whose expectations and recommendations may or may not be suited to our tastes - kind of like restaurant recommendations). For that extra 10%, I've booked everything online with confirmation by phone. And I have someone on board Regatta responsible for my relationship to the tour operators. As I said earlier in this note, if something really grabs us, we'll return in the future and then I'd look at private tours.

So, bottom line, IMHO: if it's your first trip to a new region with multiple draws on your interests, a cruise - including its own excursions - is the least troublesome (albeit a few dollars more) way to sample that part of the world.

I'm reposting my earlier answer, in part, because I believe some folks may be looking at the non-discounted Oceania prices (before the multi-excursion discounts. Yes, it may still work out to be more than DYI. But, it really isn't that much more and I am convinced it's a good way to go on your first trip to a new region.

I'm reposting my earlier answer, in part, because I believe some folks may be looking at the non-discounted Oceania prices (before the multi-excursion discounts. Yes, it may still work out to be more than DYI. But, it really isn't that much more and I am convinced it's a good way to go on your first trip to a new region.

Alaska is always a special case because the Tour Companies up there do such a huge volume during a condensed season that they literally don't bother with adjusting their prices on a client by client basis.

Therefore, your advice may be sound for your cruise, but not for passengers on other itineraries.

By the way, I must kid you a little about your "DIY" typo; I was trying to think of something clever that "DYI" might stand for, and could only come up with "Destroy Yourself Instantly". :eek: Let's hope that nothing turns out quite that badly....

Fingers too fat for iPhone typing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mine too. I can't think why-

marinaterracebreakfastbuffet3.jpg

FYI NEVER eat an Oceania croissant while checking emails on your Android phone. Makes a mess like you cannot even imagine.

After reading these comments, here are my thoughts after 3 trips on Oceania and others on Celebrity, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. Oceania charges the MOST of any cruise line for excursions. It works because people want the convenience or the line implies you will be left behind on the dock. Last year when I visited St Petersburg on Oceania(it was a great trip), but after seeing the prices I booked with the local Russian company. It was 1/3 the price of the same locations as Oceania and also we were in a 16 person van versus 30-40 person bus. The best benefit was the same tour guide for three days who was great. (of course you could be stuck with a bad one for 3 days also).

I would use the cruise line only if taking a tour where the time in port is too short or if you have cruise credits too burn.

Another question was the trip to Florence. We booked our own trip and if you want to go to the Uffizi, then buy the tickets ahead of time, and you get no lines. You need 2-3 hours there and the Oceania tour was less than that. What you do is get off the ship and take a cab to the train station, You can split a cab with up to 6 people and that works out 4 euros a person. Train tickets are about 20 euros, buy them at station cheaper than online. On the way back we met a different group going back to the ship and again we got the group rate on a taxi. DO NOT do the walk to bus line and catch bus to train station. Too much work versus a group cab rate.

Actually the biggest ripoff by Oceania and other cruise lines is transport to and from airport. In Miami and Fort Lauderdale the cabs are the cheapest and fastest way to get from and to the airport. Similarly in Barcelona, Lisbon and number of other European cities it is also the best way. The one place to avoid cabs is in Stockholm since many drivers will rip you off and it is perfectly legal. See the web on this issue.

Alaska is always a special case because the Tour Companies up there do such a huge volume during a condensed season that they literally don't bother with adjusting their prices on a client by client basis.

Alaska is also a special case (about to take my second cruise to Alaska) because, unlike in other places, you do not form your own group to take a private tour. You simply sign up with the tour operator you want to use and they form the group. Booking directly with the tour operator is still a lot cheaper than booking through the cruise line and of course the cruise line does not have access to some of the most in demand operators who are too small to accommodate ship's tours. Booking yourself also largely guarantees you no big busses and smaller groups on tour.