B2B OR B2B - change ships

We have never done a back to back.

We are thinking about booking on the Jewel for November 15.

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; St. George's, Grenada; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Since it is a 7 day cruise, we have been seriously thinking about booking the Adventure of the Seas for the following week.

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Since the Jewel is Saturday to Saturday and the Adventure is Sunday to Sunday, we would get off the Jewel Saturday, stay in SJU, then Sunday board the Adventure. Are we crazy? Would it be better to just stay on the Jewel for another week?

If we do stay on the Jewel the ports would be:

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Fort De France, Martinique; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico

What is the better option? I am concerned about the entertainment/shows if we stay on the same ship, would they change?

Opinions???

Thanks

Edited by ish drakes

The production shows will be the same week to week. You may get all different headliners, or there may be one or two that are the same, it's not possible to predict that.

Personally, I'd rather stay on the same ship and not have to pack/unpack again, but I understand that many people might like the idea of changing ships.

Keep in mind a lot of the RC ships doing 7 day sailings will alternate itin each week, so staying on the same ship should see mostly new ports the second week.

WE have done B2B on Adventure , different ports each week. Just like other ships like Freedom , Oasis/Allure do.

What do you want to do?

I can tell you from experience that a B2B on the same ship is phenomenal. We have done it twice now and there is something wonderful about not having to pack up on the last night and be part of the frenzy and chaos that often ensues. :D If you can stay in the same cabin, all the better. It's amazing.

If you change ships and sail out the next day, it's actually called a side-to-side (not important, just a little trivia). Jewel is beautiful, and the Voyager-class ships are great too - larger, different, with a focus "inward" with the Royal Promenade. You'll have to pack up, stay in a hotel, change ships, unpack, etc. etc.

Some of the shows will be the same, yes. The headliners, comedians, etc. may change so it won't be exactly the same. You have to decide how important that is to you.

Personally, if I was going for a relaxing and stress-free as possible vacation, I would book a B2B on the same ship. However, having said that any cruise is fabulous and I'm sure you will be excited about either decision. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

The production shows will be the same week to week. You may get all different headliners, or there may be one or two that are the same, it's not possible to predict that.

Personally, I'd rather stay on the same ship and not have to pack/unpack again, but I understand that many people might like the idea of changing ships.

Originally when I came up with the idea it was to stay on the Jewel for the 2 weeks as it alternates itinerary so it would be all new ports. Was concerned about not having any entertainment options if we stay on the same ship, if we see all the shows on the first leg.

Packing and unpacking and overnighting at a hotel would be a deterrent, but the idea of experiencing 2 RCCL ships in 2 weeks is appealing as I keep hearing how much better this cruise line is to Carnival.

Keep in mind a lot of the RC ships doing 7 day sailings will alternate itin each week, so staying on the same ship should see mostly new ports the second week.

WE have done B2B on Adventure , different ports each week. Just like other ships like Freedom , Oasis/Allure do.

Yes staying on the same ship would offer different ports. Another reason why changing ships is attractive is the Adventure offers new ports which we have not visited either. They only share one port in common, "St. Thomas".

Another 'wrench' in the b2b on the same ship is that we have already been to Dominica and live in Barbados so those would be 2 ports that we really wouldn't explore, so kind of a waste to me, when we would have new original ports that we haven't experienced if we were to change ships.

I would stay on the same ship. we did a b2b , changing ships, ther was no problem but it looks like you wont repeat any ports if you stay on Jewel. the peeps at CC call it "side to side" the porters at the port call it "jumpers" and RC called it B2B

Packing and unpacking and overnighting at a hotel would be a deterrent, but the idea of experiencing 2 RCCL ships in 2 weeks is appealing..

Of course, understood. It certainly would be the trip of a lifetime, either way. :) Jewel is a beautiful ship with lots of glass and light; she is the only ship in the fleet with the Sea View Café, which is a complimentary venue serving sandwiches, burgers, salads, onion rings, etc. In the refurb of the ships in the same class, it has been removed and replaced with a pay venue. Not a huge deal, but most of us are sad to see them being removed. The biggest plus in my book about Jewel is the fabulous outdoor aft seating in the Windjammer buffet. There is nothing like sitting outside with your meal, maybe after dinner coffee and dessert, and watching the sunset in a different port every night. *sigh* Adventure does not have this - just a note. :)

What do you want to do?

I can tell you from experience that a B2B on the same ship is phenomenal. We have done it twice now and there is something wonderful about not having to pack up on the last night and be part of the frenzy and chaos that often ensues. :D If you can stay in the same cabin, all the better. It's amazing.

If you change ships and sail out the next day, it's actually called a side-to-side (not important, just a little trivia). Jewel is beautiful, and the Voyager-class ships are great too - larger, different, with a focus "inward" with the Royal Promenade. You'll have to pack up, stay in a hotel, change ships, unpack, etc. etc.

Some of the shows will be the same, yes. The headliners, comedians, etc. may change so it won't be exactly the same. You have to decide how important that is to you.

Personally, if I was going for a relaxing and stress-free as possible vacation, I would book a B2B on the same ship. However, having said that any cruise is fabulous and I'm sure you will be excited about either decision. :)

What do I want to do? I am leaning towards changing ships but I am opened to opinions and suggestions. I am not sold on anything.

Like you I agree, that any cruise is fabulous and I am thinking this is a really good opportunity for us to experience to different ships, "killing 2 birds with 1 stone" so to speak.

...I am thinking this is a really good opportunity for us to experience to different ships, "killing 2 birds with 1 stone" so to speak.

Yes, sounds good. Since you are new to RCI, I would be excited for you to experience both classes of ship. I'm hoping you'll find that Royal has a great product.

I would absolutely switch ships. We were on the Jewel last May, and while it's a beautiful ship, it was also the most boring cruise I've ever taken. The entertainment, especially the production shows and the nightly lounge acts, was far below RCI quality standards. I couldn't imagine being on the same ship for a second week.

Switching ships gives you a different set of shows and lounge acts, different activities team, and a different class of ship.

We just did this exact thing 2 weeks ago. Week 1 we did the Jewel (Tortola Route), Week 2 we did Adventure. The reason for changing ships was I wanted to go back to Tortola and we had never been to Dominica and Barbados, therefore the Jewell itinerary. We changed to Adventure to go to Aruba and Curacao.

To me it wasn't that big of a deal to pack up and spend the day and night in San Juan. It was like an extra vacation day as we enjoy San Juan. Plus it was still pretty cool to know we had another cruise ahead of us.

Both ships are great for different reasons. I like as many new experiences as I can get. :D

Unfortunately we were one of the lucky ones on the dreaded Adventure, March 16 sailing that canceled the ports of Aruba and Curacao (our whole reason for booking this ship/route). Extremely disappointing but another story for another thread.

I would base your decision on which ports you want to see the most.

Yes, sounds good. Since you are new to RCI, I would be excited for you to experience both classes of ship. I'm hoping you'll find that Royal has a great product.

Opinions like these are what I wanted. Glad to know there are others who think like me :)

Edited by ish drakes

I would absolutely switch ships. We were on the Jewel last May, and while it's a beautiful ship, it was also the most boring cruise I've ever taken. The entertainment, especially the production shows and the nightly lounge acts, was far below RCI quality standards. I couldn't imagine being on the same ship for a second week.

Switching ships gives you a different set of shows and lounge acts, different activities team, and a different class of ship.

This is my main concern, not having any entertainment options if we stay on the same ship.

We just did this exact thing 2 weeks ago. Week 1 we did the Jewel (Tortola Route), Week 2 we did Adventure. The reason for changing ships was I wanted to go back to Tortola and we had never been to Dominica and Barbados, therefore the Jewell itinerary. We changed to Adventure to go to Aruba and Curacao.

To me it wasn't that big of a deal to pack up and spend the day and night in San Juan. It was like an extra vacation day as we enjoy San Juan. Plus it was still pretty cool to know we had another cruise ahead of us.

Both ships are great for different reasons. I like as many new experiences as I can get. :D

Unfortunately we were one of the lucky ones on the dreaded Adventure, March 16 sailing that canceled the ports of Aruba and Curacao (our whole reason for booking this ship/route). Extremely disappointing but another story for another thread.

I would base your decision on which ports you want to see the most.

Thank you. This helps alot.What happened on your cruise? didn't hear anything

To me, either option would work. I love both Aruba and Barbados, and if you can't have them both, it's eenie meenie minee moe! :D

We love both classes of ships, and they are completely different in feel. We love the promenade of the Adventurer and we love the glass and luxury of the Jewel! And our one day in San Juan was wonderful!

I think I am talking myself into supporting doing the 2 ship option!! :)

To me, either option would work. I love both Aruba and Barbados, and if you can't have them both, it's eenie meenie minee moe! :D

We love both classes of ships, and they are completely different in feel. We love the promenade of the Adventurer and we love the glass and luxury of the Jewel! And our one day in San Juan was wonderful!

I think I am talking myself into supporting doing the 2 ship option!! :)

You are talking me into it as well :)

Glad to hear you love Barbados, I kinda love it too :)

Edited by ish drakes

FWIW, we did the side 2 side, and I think I even coined the phrase here when we did it. Anyway, the cruising was great, but, moving was painful. When we did it (Liberty and Vision) the ships were to far to walk to and royal provided no help in moving us from one ship to the other.

Our other issue was when we got to our second ship, everyone was leaving. All the luggage was going out, and we wanted ours going in. We were worried it would not make it, since it was pretty confusing at the port.

It all worked out in the end, but, it was a lot more hassle then I wanted on vacation, so I probably won't do that one again.

Enjoy your cruise.

FWIW, we did the side 2 side, and I think I even coined the phrase here when we did it. Anyway, the cruising was great, but, moving was painful. When we did it (Liberty and Vision) the ships were to far to walk to and royal provided no help in moving us from one ship to the other.

Our other issue was when we got to our second ship, everyone was leaving. All the luggage was going out, and we wanted ours going in. We were worried it would not make it, since it was pretty confusing at the port.

It all worked out in the end, but, it was a lot more hassle then I wanted on vacation, so I probably won't do that one again.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have a day lag between so hopefully that will avoid those issues.

I just remembered....here is another thing to think about. I am not aware if Royal still does this, but I would ask about it and maybe you can talk them into it. When we were booked a year or so ago on two different ships leaving a day apart this was offered to us.

They used to pay for your hotel and transfers if you cruised on two of their ships a day apart!!

Check it out and see if it's still something that is available...might make the decision easier. :)

I'd switch ships. Yes, it would be a PITA to have to pack and un pack but to me 1/2 the experience(if not more) is the ship. So to be able to stay on two different ships would be awesome! Good luck on your "difficult" decission! :D

Obviously you can't go wrong with either decision! If you are looking to relax more, I would stay on one ship. That way you don't have to be forced into feeling like you have to see all the shows the first week. If its late and you're tired you can skip it knowing that you can catch it the next week!

On the other hand being able to experience 2 different ships in one vacation sounds great to me!

I just remembered....here is another thing to think about. I am not aware if Royal still does this, but I would ask about it and maybe you can talk them into it. When we were booked a year or so ago on two different ships leaving a day apart this was offered to us.

They used to pay for your hotel and transfers if you cruised on two of their ships a day apart!!

Check it out and see if it's still something that is available...might make the decision easier. :)

I will definitely look into that. Would make the decision a whole lot easier :)