Service Charges on NCL

Shacky316

I hold myself to the standard of going the extra mile. For that same reason, I take cash and envelopes with me, and get cash in $1's, $5's, and $10's to tip for that extra service. I use the $1's to tip along the way, and the rest to tip at the end of the cruise. I KNOW what this means to hardworking crew and their families and it is a joy for me to be able to do. I consider the $12/pp/day to be a starting point!

But that's just me....

.Remember you can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC), up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment

Just curious as to when you visit the customer services desk. Do you go first day or last day or any day in between? Is there still a yellow form to complete?

Like the majority have already stated - the service charge of $12.00 p.p. per day is divided among several people. I know for a fact that only $3.50 is for the cabin steward, and then another $3.50 of the daily service charge goes to one of the waiters on board, and if I am not wrong, the remaining ($5.00) is split between assistant room stewards, assistant waiters and behind-the-scenes-crew.

Divided by so many persons, I happily pay my daily $12.00. Usually I receive fantastic service everywhere on board - and if I should come across somebody who is having a bad day and therefore not provides a great service (yes, it MAY happen) - then I would never dream of asking NCL to remove my service charges and thereby "punish" the rest of the fantastic crew for one persons mistake....

Edited by TrumpyNOR

Just a question but if you go on the last evening how can they fix any issue you may have had say on day one or two of your cruise that would prompt you to reduce or dismiss your DSC?

Why not just complain to the supervisor at the time of the "issue" and give them (NCL) a chance to fix the "problem" right away instead of letting one bad experience ruin your entire cruise experience...?

Edited by TrumpyNOR

... It is not a huge amount to clean a room for one as it is for Four. I do it all the time at home when the kids come to visit.

How much is the daily service charge your kids pay?

Just a question but if you go on the last evening how can they fix any issue you may have had say on day one or two of your cruise that would prompt you to reduce or dismiss your DSC?

Most who cancel or reduce the DSC don't want problems fixed. They just want to save some money !!!

For the first time after over a dozen cruises, I felt like the tips are getting out of hand.

NCL Breakaway:

Paid $120pp X 6 for UDP.

Paid $12pp per day X 6 for "Service Charge".

Paid $147.00 in "automatic gratuities" on everything from cupcakes, sushi and drinks.

Paid $130.00 in tips at various eating venues that I added to the ZERO balance checks received after dining.

Paid $50.00 to room steward in cash trying to get the man to be a bit pleasant.

Every night after eating in a specialty restaurant, I would have 3 checks all with a 0 balance that I had to sign with the line for adding a tip. Giving me the feeling that I should tip more, which I did. Also tipped extra to the steward and bar servers.

I think it has gotten out of hand. Had I not been given 3 checks, at every dining venue, every night, for 7 nights with the line for additional tips on a 0 balance and I dined in a traditional dining room with the same waitstaff I would have no problems with the 12pp per day. But I feel jipped being that I was made to feel that an additional tip was expected by having me sign three zero balance checks every night with a line for additional tips.

$831.00 in tips alone. Add the UDP plan and I spent over $1,500.00. I understand the food is of better quality, but at the same point NCL is saving money from me not eating in the free banquet style facilities.

With the freestyle concept, they should not be using a tipping system that was based on a traditional style cruise.

Like I said, it is getting out of hand.

Edited by Tutankhamen

That line for an additional tip on the charge slip that you sign has always been there (at least in recent memory). You are under absolutely NO obligation to add a tip despite the 0 balance. Most of the time, I simply cross a line through the space, write in the total (without the additional tip), sign it and I'm done.

I also see no reason why you felt compelled to give your steward $50 if he didn't deserve it.

Divided by so many persons, I happily pay my daily $12.00. Usually I receive fantastic service everywhere on board - and if I should come across somebody who is having a bad day and therefore not provides a great service (yes, it MAY happen) - then I would never dream of asking NCL to remove my service charges and thereby "punish" the rest of the fantastic crew for one persons mistake....

And this is the problem. We are being made to feel that the tip should not be earned but rather be a right.

When I cruise in the future, regardless of line, if I am able to withdraw any gratuities, I will. I will tip well above the "service charge" to whom earns it from me.

Edited by Tutankhamen

That line for an additional tip on the charge slip that you sign has always been there (at least in recent memory). You are under absolutely NO obligation to add a tip despite the 0 balance. Most of the time, I simply cross a line through the space, write in the total (without the additional tip), sign it and I'm done.

I also see no reason why you felt compelled to give your steward $50 if he didn't deserve it.

We all deal with things differently in life. What makes you sad, may cause no emotion in me. When I am given 3 checks with a zero balance and asked to sign below a tip line, I feel obligated to tip. And I have no problem tipping, just not on top of the service charge already paid (with a portion of the "service charge" going to dining room wait staff that I never ate in)

I tipped the steward on the third day because he was doing such a poor job with an attitude. Not an obvious one, just a chip on the shoulder. Only had several small requests that went unanswered, such as clearing out fridges. So I bribed him. First time in over a dozen cruises. It worked. Sad I know.

Edited by Tutankhamen

And this is the problem. We are being made to feel that the tip should not be earned but rather be a right.

When I cruise in the future, regardless of line, if I am able to withdraw any gratuities, I will. I will tip well above the "service charge" to whom earns it from me.

So, you will take it away from the towel guy who maybe does not gold it perfectly. Or the dishwasher if your fork has a spot. You would punish several if one does not please you? And for those who do perfom well, do you not take into consideration that time after time it has been reported that the crew prefer the DSC be left intact?

Are you expecting poor service do much you have plsnned to withhold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I am given 3 checks with a zero balance and asked to sign below a tip line, I feel obligated to tip.

I guess I just don't understand that reaction. You know that your Daily Service Charge covers the service that you just received. Anything beyond that is entirely voluntary. Where's the obligation?

So, you will take it away from the towel guy who maybe does not gold it perfectly?

Don't use the pools.

Or the dishwasher if your fork has a spot.

Not my job to pay the dishwasher. If the dishes are spotty and full of gunk, I will take my vacation money elsewhere.

You would punish several if one does not please you?

I will reward those who service me. Those who don't directly serve me should be paid by the cruise line. Charge me more for my cruise. I have no issues with that. Be happy to pay $12.00 more for the cruise per day. Heck, i would be happy to pay $50 more a day Per person. its not so much about the money, but rather about an unfair system to the employees and guests. Allow me to reward those who are in contact with me and feel as though they deserve my tip.

And for those who do perfom well, do you not take into consideration that time after time it has been reported that the crew prefer the DSC be left intact?

They prefer the system because they are not paid adequately enough by their employer and rely on "service charges" to make money. Its like saying "do you want to be shot in the left foot or the right. Most would prefer not to be shot in their dominate foot. Doesn't mean there isn't a better way. Bet most would like to be paid a salary. Then get tipped for going above and beyond.

Are you expecting poor service do much you have plsnned to withhold?

NO, I am just tired of the system. It is a system designed to screw the employees and guests. The best solution, but unfortunately at an expense of the cruise line, is for them to pay their employees a fair wage and charge guests an amount that reflects the additional expense. Cruise lines won't do that because some would not cruise and they would have a harder time filling the bunks. So the cruise lines designed the system so that they can advertise a low price and tack on fee's. Worse case scenario for the cruise line, is people remove "service charges" AKA salaries from their workers. The cruise lines bottom line does not change. They don't have to pay the employee more because they didn't get a tip. They get the price they charged for their cabin.

We do not agree. The system is made to benefit the cruise line. Not the guest. Not the employee. Pay their employee and appropriate rate and allow me tip for service that I believe is worth my $.

Like I said.....over a dozen cruises and never had an issue. Just starting to see the other side. I have even berated CC members in the past for not tipping. But enough is enough.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Don't use the pools.

Not my job to pay the dishwasher. If the dishes are spotty and full of gunk, I will take my vacation money elsewhere.

I will reward those who service me. Those who don't directly serve me should be paid by the cruise line. Charge me more for my cruise. I have no issues with that. Be happy to pay $12.00 more for the cruise per day. Heck, i would be happy to pay $50 more a day Per person. its not so much about the money, but rather about an unfair system to the employees and guests. Allow me to reward those who are in contact with me and feel as though they deserve my tip.

They prefer the system because they are not paid adequately enough by their employer and rely on "service charges" to make money.

NO, I am just tired of the system. It is a system designed to screw the employees and guests. The easiest, but unfortunately at an expense of the cruise line, is for them to pay their employees a fair wage and charge guests an amount that reflects the additional charge. Cruise lines won't do that because some would not cruise and they would have a harder time filling the bunks. So the cruise lines designed the system so that they can advertise a low price and tack on fee's. Worse case scenario for the cruise line, is people remove "service charges" AKA salaries from their workers.

We do not agree. The system is made to benefit the cruise line. Not the guest. Not the employee. Pay their employee and appropriate rate and allow me tip for service that I believe is worth my $.

Like I said.....over a dozen cruises and never had an issue. Just starting to see the other side. I have even berated CC members in the past for not tipping. But enough is enough.

Or shower? Or fo you "drip dry"?

Or shower? Or fo you "drip dry"?

\

The towels provided in the room, pool or anywhere on the ship should be provided by an employee who is paid a wage that is reasonable. Every other business in the world operates this way. Cruise lines are able to have guests pay their employees for them through service charges. This way they can advertise a lower rate. Worse case scenario, service charge is removed and employee takes a pay cut. Cruise lines bottom line does not change.

Charge me more, pay your hard working employees. Allow me to tip as tips were designed. They were not designed to be a salary.

Edited by Tutankhamen

The service charge isn't a tip.

Once you understand THAT, the rest is easy.

You didn't pay out a huge amount in tips.

You are making several assumptions. First, people adjust the charge up or down. Second, many people adjust the discretionary service charge because they prefer to tip in cash. Third if someone were to adjust the DSC due to poor service that cannot be fixed. The service was poor and what's done is done. Many people believe if you don't perform up to the standard, you should not be rewarded for the poor performance.

You are making several assumptions. First, people adjust the charge up or down. Second, many people adjust the discretionary service charge because they prefer to tip in cash. Third if someone were to adjust the DSC due to poor service that cannot be fixed. The service was poor and what's done is done. Many people believe if you don't perform up to the standard, you should not be rewarded for the poor performance.

before NCL made this what it did today, it was clearly discretionary. about 40% of the people who removed it to leave "cash", reduced the amount

or left nothing even when they had no service related complaint. Do you really want to give succor to those people?

While it may or may not be true that you leave more cash than the suggested DSC, do you really want to give them cover to leave less?

BTW no one is suggesting that you don't reduce/remove when you have a service related complaint but do you really want to help those than just want to pocket it?

I'll leave it there but most of the time when the shoe fits it fits.

Edited by smeyer418

I've never felt the need to adjust the DSC but I find it hard to believe that when someone goes to guest services and says they want to lower it, they are not asked why. If someone feels they do not HAVE to give a reason, wouldn't it be the courteous thing to do so they know whether or not there is some problem?

This is from the Norwegian website under FAQ.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Dsc is pooled and split.

If you want take it off at the end.

The end.

Take it off after the service has already been given. How honorable. How about take it off at the beginning so your cabin steward will know what kind of customer he or she is dealing with and provide the service commensurate to the payment? :rolleyes:

I've never felt the need to adjust the DSC but I find it hard to believe that when someone goes to guest services and says they want to lower it, they are not asked why. If someone feels they do not HAVE to give a reason, wouldn't it be the courteous thing to do so they know whether or not there is some problem?

Of course they ask you why. Where did you ever hear they don't ask you why? The point is you are under no obligation to give them a reason. It's your choice. Giving them a reason usually just gives them a point of argument and the quick adjustment turns into a lengthy time waste, while you are on vacation!

Sometimes in this great big world you have to be curt, not courteous.