What is it REALLY like onboard

I personally find the motion of the ship to be very relaxing and actually makes me sleep like a baby. Have seen a fair variety of cruise ship weather and never had a problem, but have also spent a lot of my life on the ocean. No shame at all in taking a sea sickness pill before you get underway just to be sure or if heavy seas are predicted.

Probably advice you can find anywhere, but the following are big helps when it comes to motion sickness:

-Stay hydrated

-Eat, an empty stomach is miserable

-Fresh air and a view of the horizon are good

-Reading, computer use and watching TV can make it worse

However, don't worry about it. Your ship is going to be MASSIVE, huge, enormous, gigantic. Have a great cruise!!

Hi,

Since you are an Australian sailing on Rhapsody I'll assume the cruise is out of Sydney? I believe we do get some rougher seas at times compared to the Caribbean.

I have sailed twice to the Pacific Islands (on Radiance & Rhapsody) & the seas were about 2-3mtrs max & the movement was mostly subtle, with the odd occasion where you suddenly walk sideways a tad. Both times the cabins were on the higher decks either near the centre or forward.

I have been to NZ on Voyager & the crossing between Australia & NZ is renowned for higher seas, but I can't recall any issues that cruise.

Last year though we sailed on Radiance from Honolulu via Tahiti & NZ to Sydney & on the journey from NZ we had 8-10 mtr seas- those are big seas & the ship did move noticeably, but it's not like a washing machine & didn't stop us using the dining room normally etc. Nothing was moving about the tables etc. We never felt sick & we were on a deck 10 cabin near the forward elevators.

We don't seem to be prone to sea sickness but we always start our cruises with some Travel Calm tablets available at any chemist here in Australia just in case. We take a tablet just as we sail away & stop taking them after day 2 & only take them again sometimes as a precaution if the captain advises high seas ahead.

The movement never keeps us awake either & it is normally very gentle.

On Rhapsody we found the ship had more vibration that we felt in bed than actual swaying.

It is hard to know if you will be prone to sea sickness as my husband gets sick on small boats or ferries but never on cruise ships.

Best bet is take the tablets for the first day or 2 just in case & then stop them & see how you go unless you encounter very rough seas.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise, once on board you will probably be too distracted with all that is going on to even think about sea sickness & knowing you have taken the precaution anyway will most likely alleviate any sub conscious concerns.:)

I got seasick on my Disney cruise and while it wasn't crippling, it was unpleasant. The 3 cruises since then I start taking Bonine the night before I sail and take it every night until I get home. I have not had a problem since and am unwilling to take the chance. I do not have any adverse side effects so I will continue this practice.

It's difficult to know. We have been on cruises were you walk down the hallways going side to side, others where you don't notice anything.

You'll spend one-third of your time docked, one-third in your cabin, and the remainder on the upper decks, all the way forward in the theater, and aft in the MDR. So if you get seasick, chances are it won't be in your cabin. I personally think cabin location is highly overrated with today's ship size. If you are on deck 11 you will move further than deck 2, but you will still feel the movement.

My wife's advice, get a patch, and have so much fun you don't even notice what the ship is doing.

Enjoy your cruise...

Edited by steveru621

I am wanting to know what it is really like onboard.

Movement of the ship, especially at night when trying to sleep.

How rough does the sea have to be, to notice the movement when walking around the decks.

I am going on rhapsody (incase size really does matter in this case)

How many of you have suffered sea sickness, if you did suffer sea sickness, was it rough seas?

I'll tell you the truth. I used to be the queen of 'Dad, pull the car over, NOW!' so when I said I wanted to go on a cruise, hubby said I was NUTS!. You know what, we just finished our 9th cruise and can't wait to take the next one. We've been on the smallest RCI ship (Monarch) and the largest (Allure). And on most sailings there has usually been one day where the seas were a bit rough. I usually use a sea sick patch, but also travel with wrist bands (have yet to use them), Dramamine (used once, on top of the patch, talk about REALLY bad dry mouth) and ginger candy. I always get the soda package so I can get ginger ale any time without worrying about racking up the bill.

I have not gotten full out sea sick yet. BUT I have had times where I was definitely queasy. The worst was actually on Rhapsody (Alaska). The seas were so rough they actually locked the doors to the outside decks and put out sea sick bags. I took replaced my patch, took a Dramamine and took a nap (missed my lobster dinner). BUT I was back on my feet and made it to the evening events (YEAH QUEST!).

I agree, a cabin mid ship (top/bottom, front/back) definitely helps. I say be prepared and preventative and you will be just fine.

Hope this helps.

Erika

I am wanting to know what it is really like onboard.

Movement of the ship, especially at night when trying to sleep.

How rough does the sea have to be, to notice the movement when walking around the decks.

I am going on rhapsody (incase size really does matter in this case)

How many of you have suffered sea sickness, if you did suffer sea sickness, was it rough seas?

Sleeping on the ship is the BEST. At home I'm lucky to get 6 hours; on the ship we sleep 11 to 12! It's awesome! We've been on the Rhapsody twice: Australia to Hawaii and Alaska out of Seattle. I suffer from sea sickness and take a pill every morning and every night and never have any problems. We always get a balcony or junior suite on deck 7 or 8. Love it! :)

Years ago, we were on ships that would rock you out of bed, as the saying goes, but probably within the past 10 years, I haven't noticed that so much. Most of the ships we cruise are about the same size, but I think the newer ships (I'm not talking about a brand new ships) are stabalize more. It is possible that the waves haven't been that bad also.:)

We've been in all kinds of weather all over the world and in many areas of the ship. The advice in this thread is fine. But I believe if you've convinced yourself that its going to be a problem - it will be. If you concentrate on the AWESOME time you're having, the many things to do, the great food to eat and the wonderful adventure you're on, you won't even think about whatever motion there might be. Have a GREAT time!!!!

There is always motion; sometimes you notice it, sometimes you don't. For me, I actually have "phantom motion" for a day or so after returning; my bed rocks at night in my stationary home!

I had that same effect for 3 days after my last cruise! It was hilarious walking through the halls at work & feeling like i was still onboard!:D

I've never gotten seasick but I've only sailed Voyager class ships. My parents used the patch with no problem. My sister used Dramamine and got sick one night because she forgot to take it before we went to dinner. Even I was feeling the ship move that night. The movement plus the sangria we had at dinner did her in.