Machu Picchu excursion

willow949

We will be on the 31 day Inca Empire cruise in Nov. Machu Picchu is a must see for us. The Hal excursions are $3000.00 pp for 3 days. I need info on how this excursion was. Also know people booked their own excursion, but I don't know the specifics. Any. Information on this would be helpful as we will do it one way or the other.

We will be on the 31 day Inca Empire cruise in Nov. Machu Picchu is a must see for us. The Hal excursions are $3000.00 pp for 3 days. I need info on how this excursion was. Also know people booked their own excursion, but I don't know the specifics. Any. Information on this would be helpful as we will do it one way or the other.

You can find out information about private tours to Machu Picchu on the Port of call boards..

There are several threads discussing this.. This is the URL for those boards..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

We didn't go to Machu Picchu on our SA cruise & I regret it.. Have fun on your cruise..

P.S. Just did a search on this board..Post No. 12 in the following thread describes the HAL tour two years ago..This might help..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401140&highlight=machu+picchu

You might want to try doing a search for others who did the HAL tour if you don't get answers to your post..

Edited by serendipity1499

I would think VERY seriously before investing that kind of $$ into a shore excursion. We went to Peru specifically to see Macchu Picchu and cruised afterwards. Took 3 days to acclimate in the Sacred Valley- and I still had altitude sickness. My main memory of Macchu Picchu is walking around feeling like my head would explode and that I was being suffocated. Plus. because I gutted it out, I was too sick to enjoy the rest of the cruise. (If altitude sickness is bad enough, you will not just "bounce back" once you get to a lower altitude.) I am fairly young and in good shape, so you can never tell who it will hit. That being said, it is a fantastic experience, but one you could probably duplicate in a distinct "peru only" trip for not too much more than the shore excursion.

The Inca Empires looks like it is a round trip cruise to Lima (Callao) with the ship spending two nights in Lima. In April, 2013 we did a repositioning cruise on HAL from Buenos Aires to Boston with an over night stay in Lima. We loooked at the expense and timing of the HAL excursion to Manchu Picchu. It looked like we did a lot of traveling in a short amount of time for a lot of money. We decided to Fly to Buenos Aires via Lima, take a five night excursion to Cuzco and Manchu Picchu and fly on to Buenos Aires. On the cruise we used the overnight in Lima to explore Lima.

After we left Lima the had a chance to come experiences with the people who took the HAL excursion. They were uniformly positive but some of them, like some people in our group of four had problems with the altitude. They flew to Cuzco, had a short tour of Cuzco on day one. On day two they rode a bus and train to Manchu Picchu, toured the ruins and returned to Cuzco in the evening. They stayed in a five star hotel in Cuzco. On day three they flew back to Lima, took a bus to Trujillo where they rejoined the ship. They had the chance to see Manchu Pichu and a little of Cuzco.

Our trip was organized by a small travel company, Adios Adventures. We flew to Lima on our own. On day 1 we flew to Cuzco. We were met by our guide who took us to a nice 3 star hotel. We then did a walking tour of Cuzco. On day 2 we toured the Inca ruines around Cuzco and had the chance to further explore Cuzco. On Day 3 we were driven to Ollytatambo a city near Manchu Picchu, explored the area and stayed in a hotel. On Day 4 we traveled to Manchu Pichu, and returned in the evening to our hotel in Ollytatambo. On day 5 we drove back to Cuzco to our original hotel, and explored a number of sites along the way. On day 6 we flew back to Lima and on to Buenos Aires. The total cost of our trip was about $2500 per person including the extra airfare for the stop in Lima and the Lima/Cusco roundtrip.

Our only regret we did not spend more time in Peru. If Manchu Picchu is on your bucket list and you have the time and money, I would suggest spending at least ten days in Peru including the trip to Manchu Picchu. I posted a review of our experiences in Peru on Trip Advisor.

I used Adios Adventure Travel, a US based company before my cruise they can tailor make a tour to fit your time there.

First bit of advice is to see a travel physician before your trip. May prescribe altitude medication. Second bit of advice... If you can do The excursion as a pre or post cruise it is much cheaper even if booked through HAL.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were at Machu Picchu in November 2013. A three day trip will be strenous. Note that November is the start of rainy season--so be prepared for changeable weather. No picture of MP does it justice.

We had the high altitude pills to take from our doctor--don't read the side effects--almost sounds worse than the high altitude sickness.

I think you could find another company to do this for you for much less than Holland is charging.

For our group, one person had a severe headache that took many days to go away--but we went from Lima to Cusco to MP back to Cusco to Lake Titicaca area. MP has the lowest elevation.

Several got gastric distress. But--they brushed their teeth with tap water and ate salads. On advice of a friend, we brought activated charcoal tablets. If our stomach felt iffy, we took a pill. We had no problems. Out of a group of 16, probably 12 got sick during our trip.

Can someone help me understand the fascination with Machu Picchu? My wife wants to go. We've just come from visits to several Mayan ruin sites in Central America. Don't get me wrong: I love ruins. I love history. But from what I've read, much of what we think Machu Picchu was is disputed, some theories seem to have been advanced by Hiram Bigham without much evidence, and the place has at least partially evolved into some kind of New Age-type "mystical experience" locale complete with nude sunrise services and whatnot. $3000 a person and a week's worth of altitude sickness seems like high prices to pay to look at a lot of stone walls surrounded by beautiful views and much speculation. I'm on the shady side of 65 and am too old for boot camp.

Can someone help me understand the fascination with Machu Picchu? My wife wants to go. We've just come from visits to several Mayan ruin sites in Central America. Don't get me wrong: I love ruins. I love history. But from what I've read, much of what we think Machu Picchu was is disputed, some theories seem to have been advanced by Hiram Bigham without much evidence, and the place has at least partially evolved into some kind of New Age-type "mystical experience" locale complete with nude sunrise services and whatnot. $3000 a person and a week's worth of altitude sickness seems like high prices to pay to look at a lot of stone walls surrounded by beautiful views and much speculation. I'm on the shady side of 65 and am too old for boot camp.

Well all I can say is you have to experience it. I would describe the experience as spiritual. I think the mystery and the unknown has a lot to do with it. Also it is an Incan site that the Spanish never found so it has not been destroyed.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Machu Picchu is truly magical.....you are up so high, among the mountain peaks and clouds ... However, you do yourself a great disservice if you do not spend more time in the Sacred Valley,especially Cuzco - what a wonderful city....

We had looked into doing the Inca Empire cruise, but for slightly more than the price of the HAL 3 day excursion - we ended up doing a land trip to Lima, Sacred Valley, Cuzco, Machu Picchu, then onto The reed islands in lake Titicaca region, plane ride to see the Nazca lines, day cruise around the Ballestas islands - and this was a 2 week tour! There is so much more to see than Machu Picchu, but the site is truly amazing, as you keep looking down on jagged mountains and cloud coverings!

Carol

The Inca Empires looks like it is a round trip cruise to Lima (Callao) with the ship spending two nights in Lima. In April, 2013 we did a repositioning cruise on HAL from Buenos Aires to Boston with an over night stay in Lima. We loooked at the expense and timing of the HAL excursion to Manchu Picchu. It looked like we did a lot of traveling in a short amount of time for a lot of money. We decided to Fly to Buenos Aires via Lima, take a five night excursion to Cuzco and Manchu Picchu and fly on to Buenos Aires. On the cruise we used the overnight in Lima to explore Lima.

After we left Lima the had a chance to come experiences with the people who took the HAL excursion. They were uniformly positive but some of them, like some people in our group of four had problems with the altitude. They flew to Cuzco, had a short tour of Cuzco on day one. On day two they rode a bus and train to Manchu Picchu, toured the ruins and returned to Cuzco in the evening. They stayed in a five star hotel in Cuzco. On day three they flew back to Lima, took a bus to Trujillo where they rejoined the ship. They had the chance to see Manchu Pichu and a little of Cuzco.

Our trip was organized by a small travel company, Adios Adventures. We flew to Lima on our own. On day 1 we flew to Cuzco. We were met by our guide who took us to a nice 3 star hotel. We then did a walking tour of Cuzco. On day 2 we toured the Inca ruines around Cuzco and had the chance to further explore Cuzco. On Day 3 we were driven to Ollytatambo a city near Manchu Picchu, explored the area and stayed in a hotel. On Day 4 we traveled to Manchu Pichu, and returned in the evening to our hotel in Ollytatambo. On day 5 we drove back to Cuzco to our original hotel, and explored a number of sites along the way. On day 6 we flew back to Lima and on to Buenos Aires. The total cost of our trip was about $2500 per person including the extra airfare for the stop in Lima and the Lima/Cusco roundtrip.

Our only regret we did not spend more time in Peru. If Manchu Picchu is on your bucket list and you have the time and money, I would suggest spending at least ten days in Peru including the trip to Manchu Picchu. I posted a review of our experiences in Peru on Trip Advisor.

I agree--Peru is worth 2 or 3 weeks--and you wouldn't have to spend more than $3000, either!

Only going to be in Lima for 3 days. Don't know of any private tours that can guarantee to get you there and back in 3 days. Don't have a problem with attitude and the bus and hotels have oxygen. If you have taken the tour, any info would be helpful, but again, we are only there for 3 days.

We took the Hal offered 3day Machu Pichu excursion at the beginning of a Hal cruise 2 years ago. It was expensive and almost 3000 each back then! It was very well organized and a wonderful experience. The 1st morning we flew into Cuzco from Lima early on LAN airlines. We checked into our beautiful 5star hotel and were given some special tea to help with altitude. We then had a gentlypaced city tour including some ruins and a church. That night we had a wonderful dinner of local food and entertainment. Next day up early for bus and train to Machu Pichu. Train was fantastic scenery and Machu Pichu an unbelievable sight, with llamas thrown in for good measure! Nice lunch at site then back to Cuzco and overnight. Flight back to Lima in am. No altitude problems at all just mild shortness of breath with stairs(we were late 50s then). It is not grueling or dangerous and well worth the money. If at beginning of your cruise it would be best to book through Hal in case of delays in travel. Have fun, it's worth the $$$$!

Only going to be in Lima for 3 days. Don't know of any private tours that can guarantee to get you there and back in 3 days. Don't have a problem with attitude and the bus and hotels have oxygen. If you have taken the tour, any info would be helpful, but again, we are only there for 3 days.

There are many tour companies that will accommodate three day shore excursions to Machu Picchu for way less than HAL charges.

We went with a company who is known for its luxury tours and stayed three nights rather than the two offered by HAL and paid approximately half of what HAL was charging. The tour was tailored to our needs since it was only the two of us. They took care of all arrangements and every detail was handled efficiently. We also stayed in 5* hotels. We flew to Cusco, but toured and stayed in the Sacred Valley the first day and night to get acclimated to the altitude. Next day we went to Machu Picchu and stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge. On the third day, we toured Cusco and stayed overnight there. Took the plane back the next morning.

We had no altitude problems and I think it is because we gradually went higher rather than stay in Cusco, which has the highest elevation of the three areas.

It was a perfect trip and we were really glad we did it on our own rather than with HAL.

Terri

I think that a 3 day tour is strenuous even for the lucky people who don't get altitude sickness (unpredictable, not age or fitness related). If you think this will be your only chance to see Machu Pichu, do it.

We took a separate tour at a different date, 10 days, arrangements made via e-mail with Escaped to Latin America. I can highly recommend them because they tailored the tour to our taste and their local guides were excellent. There is much more to the area than just Machu Pichu although it certainly was a highlight.

I would think VERY seriously before investing that kind of $$ into a shore excursion. We went to Peru specifically to see Macchu Picchu and cruised afterwards. Took 3 days to acclimate in the Sacred Valley- and I still had altitude sickness. My main memory of Macchu Picchu is walking around feeling like my head would explode and that I was being suffocated. Plus. because I gutted it out, I was too sick to enjoy the rest of the cruise. (If altitude sickness is bad enough, you will not just "bounce back" once you get to a lower altitude.) I am fairly young and in good shape, so you can never tell who it will hit. That being said, it is a fantastic experience, but one you could probably duplicate in a distinct "peru only" trip for not too much more than the shore excursion.

That was the conclusion we came to. We saw 8 day tours including air for about what it would have cost for the ship's excursion. We are going in January on a combined land tour of Peru and then a cruise following that. Sure hope I don't get the altitude sickness you are describing.

Not just HAL on this type thing....We chose not to go to the Taj Mahal off RCCL as the cost of the three day excursion was more than we paid for the entire 28 day cruise. Hated to miss that but would have missed great ports if we had.

Edited by HokiePoq

I visited Machu Pichu in 1953, long before the term "Sacred Valley" was used. The Hotel Tourista was the only one recommended for travelers, and featured personnel who spoke English and other languages. They turned on the hot water at 7AM and again (off during the day) at 5 but off at 7PM. The train left at 8Am and returned at 7PM, so you had the choice of using lots of deodorant or showering in a very cold room in cold water. Winter at that height is COLD!

I still remember the ruins, though: amazing enough to never be forgotten.

If your cruise starts or ends in Lima, add this, not through the cruise line. Wife, daughter and family went there a few years ago. DD researched Cusco and found a very reasonably priced hotel run by some Dutch people, just a couple of blocks from the plaza. It was extremely clean and very comfortable.

Edited by Taxguy77
Add info.