Anyone attend Disney Magic TCM cruise 2013?

BODICERIPPER

:)

For anyone who attended the TCM ("Turner Classic Movies") Classic Cruise in December 2013, aboard the Disney Magic:

I have attended a TCM Classic Cruise aboard a Celebrity ship, and I was interested to find out if the Disney ship experience differed much from what I had experienced on the Celebrity ship (all good). There is another TCM cruise aboard the Disney Magic coming up this October, and I'd like to attend.

As one would expect, the strongly-classic-movie-themed, TCM cruises naturally attract a generally more "senior" crowd over all, so I'm wondering if the Magic tailors its approach somewhat to serve the interests of these more "mature" passengers. (Honestly, I'm really trying not to say "old" here! :D ) The Celebrity ship seemed to be a good fit for this type of cruise, as Celebrity seems to be known as a cruise line that suits a more adult passenger list.

I doubt that the non-stop, TCM-themed presentations, entertainment, and activities would be of interest to children, so I would think that the Magic might forego some of its more traditionally, child-centered events during this cruise? Not that there's anything wrong with those fun events on a regular Disney cruise where it's more about the children! :)

I've heard that the Disney Magic is a very nice ship, and I'm looking forward to the chance to join this cruise!

I know that it's unlikely that I'll find someone who has been on both a Celebrity ship TCM cruise, and a Disney ship TCM cruise, but it's worth a try at least! :D

While I have not been on a TCM cruise, I have been on other "special" cruises on the Magic where there were many fewer children than normal (400 compared to a normal 7 night load of 1000 from 3 months - 17 years). Most of the kid activities take place in their dedicated spaces, and those activities continued to be available to those kids on board. These activities do not affect adult activities in any way.

We had the normal 3 main stage shows, with additional on stage activities added.

We certainly noticed that there were fewer kids around the ship than normal, but I would never have suspected the difference was that great. But then again, on Celebrity I would never have known there was a kid program had I not talked with a family with 2 school age kids one afternoon in the hot tub.

We love the Magic....currently have 27 nights booked on her in 2014 and more in 2015.

Thank you, moki'smommy! That's good info. I now see how much of Deck 5 is dedicated to children's activities. :) It's nice that there is a separate, adults' pool as well.

On the last TCM cruise I attended, I saw one young boy boarding the Celebrity ship, and I never saw him or another child during the entire rest of the cruse. As you say, any little ones on that cruise might have been off enjoying the children's events in other areas of the ship.

It's difficult to say how many TCM cruise passengers would bring children with them. I've heard that the prices are higher than the usual Magic fees for the TCM cruise, but I don't know about that for sure ($1970 for a "Deluxe Ocean View with Verandah", plus $300 for additional fees, plus any optional insurance, or special "packages").

I very much enjoyed the first TCM Cruise I attended, and would recommend a TCM cruise to any classic movie fan. :)

We have been on all three previous TCM cruises so we have been on Celebrity and last year on the Magic. We have also been on more than 10 Disney cruises. When I heard that last year TCM cruise was on Disney, I called to see how "Disney" the ship would be. I was told there would not be any characters around or the usual Disney kid stuff. They were accurate. Very little Disney, except for an occasional sighting of Mickey. And also very few kids. Which was great for us because we got to go on the slides multiple times without a line. And the stop at Castaway Cay was great without the crowds. I much preferred TCM cruise on Disney than Celebrity. The level of customer service, the food, the cabins, the fitness center,...everything was much better than our Celebrity experience We just signed up for the TCM cruise on the Magic in October 2014. And we will be on the Magic this summer with our family for a cruise to the Greek isles. We have cruises on many other brands, but nothing beats Disney.

We have been on all three previous TCM cruises so we have been on Celebrity and last year on the Magic. We have also been on more than 10 Disney cruises. When I heard that last year TCM cruise was on Disney, I called to see how "Disney" the ship would be. I was told there would not be any characters around or the usual Disney kid stuff. They were accurate. Very little Disney, except for an occasional sighting of Mickey. And also very few kids. Which was great for us because we got to go on the slides multiple times without a line. And the stop at Castaway Cay was great without the crowds. I much preferred TCM cruise on Disney than Celebrity. The level of customer service, the food, the cabins, the fitness center,...everything was much better than our Celebrity experience We just signed up for the TCM cruise on the Magic in October 2014. And we will be on the Magic this summer with our family for a cruise to the Greek isles. We have cruises on many other brands, but nothing beats Disney.

Did your TCM cruise count toward your number of cruises for the Castaway Club?

Thank you, Cedricandsophie (I love your names, BTW!), for the reply! That's exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to know.

I'm taking from your reply that only one ship docks at Castaway Cay at a time? Therefore, most of the visitors at Castaway Cay at any given time are from the one cruise ship that is docked at the island?

I am pea-green with envy regarding your Greek Isles cruise. Have a wonderful time! :D

BTW, I tried to start a 2014 TCM Classic Cruise "Roll Call" thread. I hope it worked.

Edited by BODICERIPPER

Yes, only Disney ship (at least in my experience and we have been there several times) docks at a time. With a typical Disney cruise, you need to run like crazy first thing in the morning to get good chairs on the beach. But with the TCM cruise, there was hardly anyone there at all. It's an older crowd, which is probably one of the reasons.

p.s. Cedric and Sophie are my dogs names...corgis. Very regal!:)

...p.s. Cedric and Sophie are my dogs names...corgis. Very regal!:)

Yes! They sound British somehow, and very posh! Maybe they're related to the Queen's corgis. :D

Thank you again for the great information!

Edited by BODICERIPPER

• 1 month later...

Jumping in on the conversation(s) ... ! I've been on all the TCM cruises as well as several "regular" Celebrity cruises and Disney cruises. As a matter of fact, we hear from a reliable source that there were only 22 people under the age of 18 on the last TCM/Disney Magic cruise ... and I believe it too! And yes ... Castaway Cay was NOT crowded at all. It appeared that not even 25% of the entire ship population even got off ... and if they did, they got off, looked around for an hour, and then got back on! It was great! See you in October.

:D

All sounds good, djsmith773!

It sounds as though the upcoming Castaway Cay experience in October is going to be as close to having my own, private island as I am ever going to get!

See y'all in October!

• 3 months later...

2 adult males have a verandah cabin on the tcm cruise this october. Due to unforeseen circumstances, our 3rd roommate had to cancel and his share will be sold way below cost. Looking for a friendly movie fan to join us! Interested? Let's talk!

I learned about the TCM cruise after I already made my vacation plans for 2014, otherwise I would have jumped at a chance to try Disney without all the kids. I hope someone who goes on the October cruise posts a review; I plan to book a TCM cruise for next year (particularly if it is on Disney), so I would like to hear people's opinion about this year's Disney TCM cruise.