Wine in the Summit MDR with classic package

ERLEC

Question for you guys that previously cruised with Celebrity, especially on the Summit.

How is the wine service in the MDR when you have the classic package?

I'm used to drink a bottle on wine, but with the package it will be by the glass. How long do you wait normally for having a new full glass when yours is empty?

Speaking from 2 recent cruises on the Equinox, the refilling of wine glasses was always promptly anticipated. Be aware that the "sommelier" in my 2 experiences was pretty much just a wine pourer with next to no apparent knowledge of wines much beyond red or white. They were understaffed and on the run to the point of almost running between tables.

Last summer with the exception of one or two nights, service was good. The wine we were drinking was kept close to our table and refills were usually easy. On one occasion we were enjoying a pre dinner wine from cellar masters that was not available in the MDR and the wine was sent over so we could continue to enjoy through dinner.

Last July I had the Classic Package on Eclipse. The white wine I chose was superb but it is now priced above the classic level. However the wine waiter kept me topped up constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks guys. I would love to see the actual list of wine by the glass under 8$. I have found several thread about the subject and there seems to be about 5 different wines in red or white that we can take but the list is constantly changing.

Sometimes it will depend on how many are enjoying that type of wine. We were at a table for 4 last Nov. The wifester and I had the Premium pkg, and our friends had the classic. We were doing by the glass too, after the first night, the Som left the bottle on the table since 3 were having the same red. We had 2nd seating and the service got better as the week went on.

Edit note: the selections in Cellar Masters was a lot better than in the MDR, so we made it a point to stop and bring something with us. The Som caught on! And we had the better choices by mid week.

Edited by wallie5446

My husband enjoys Australian or New Zealand wines, mainly Pinot noir, Shiraz, or a good Sauvignon blanc, will he be able to get a decent choice with the classic package in the MDR or will he need to upgrade, what about chateau Neuf ?

He doesn't necessarily have to have an expensive wine we don't usually pay more than about £13 supermarket price but I know some places charge the earth for cheap plonk and he won't want that with dinner every night so if that is what you will end end up getting for $8 he might have to rethink the classic package we have already paid for ?

I can tell you that on the Silhouette in January, there was no Sauvignon Blanc in the main dining room on the basic package (which prompted me to upgrade immediately). :) Strangely, though, Qsine had a Saugvignon Blanc available for $8.

My wife drink's Black Opal a Southern Australian Shiraz at home. The cloest she came on ship was a Peter Lehman at $12 a glass (I think, it has been a few months ago):D There are quite a few more wines on both packages than show on the web site. All the bars stock different wines, a short conversation and a ten spot in a strong handshake;) with one of the Sunset bartenders and by that evening the Lehmann was kept stocked there for her the entire cruise!:)

Thanks guys. I would love to see the actual list of wine by the glass under 8$. I have found several thread about the subject and there seems to be about 5 different wines in red or white that we can take but the list is constantly changing.

Somewhere on the forum there was a PDF file with all the wines listed. They might also be on their web site.

One other "trick" I forgot to mention and we always have great results with it. As you know the Classic package includes gratuities. Well, the first night in the MDR we give the wine steward a nice "extra" tip. They will be very attentive, so much so that if we tell him we will be in the MDR the next night our wine is already sitting on the table. We do this every night and believe me he will be there before your glass is empty.

Some times if there is some extra in the bottle he will pour it and tell us to drink it before his boss see's it.

Thank you both for the information, I think he will probably have to upgrade then, maybe we can wait until we are on board and he can see if he can find a wine he likes and have it sent to the MDR! If not then he will upgrade, is it correct that it is the same price now no matter when you buy it, it used to be more expensive to wait until on board ?

Thank you both for the information, I think he will probably have to upgrade then, maybe we can wait until we are on board and he can see if he can find a wine he likes and have it sent to the MDR! If not then he will upgrade, is it correct that it is the same price now no matter when you buy it, it used to be more expensive to wait until on board ?

Correct, same cost either way.

Ian, you da man!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979030&page=3

Edited by wallie5446

• 3 weeks later...