Tell me about the "Sea Day Brunch"

MaiTaiMary

I believe the "Sea Day Brunch" is new since the last time I cruised (4 years ago). I've never heard of it.

Can somebody tell me more about it? Is it a buffet or sit down? Does anybody have pictures? There isn't a fee, is there? How is the food? :)

If I am not mistaken, it is just what it says. A brunch that you just go to the main dining room, they seat you and order off the menu, much like the main dining room suppers. Very informal and eat at your leisure. If you are gold status, you should get a free drink offer in your stateroom early in your cruise that you can use at the sea day brunch for a free drink of your choice.

Nice to do instead of buffet everyday.

On Sea Days the traditional breakfast and lunch options in the main dining room are replaced by the brunch.

On most ships the hours are 8:45 to 1:30ish. The brunch menu has both traditional breakfast items like eggs and pancakes and lunch items like pasta and salmon.

Here is a link to the menu:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/brunch.html

If I am not mistaken, it is just what it says. A brunch that you just go to the main dining room, they seat you and order off the menu, much like the main dining room suppers. Very informal and eat at your leisure. If you are gold status, you should get a free drink offer in your stateroom early in your cruise that you can use at the sea day brunch for a free drink of your choice.

Nice to do instead of buffet everyday.

You get the free drink coupon as soon as you turn Red. :)

Guess there's no going back to the old menus, but sure liked them better. RancherosH' was too spicy for me. Mac and cheese just so-so. Breads were bland. We did like the Popovers, but they are only served after about 1100 or noon. Just miss the Mongolian Steak Salad, sushi, German choc cake and steak sandwich on the old menu. :( Soft kitty.. Warm kitty...

Soft kitty.. Warm kitty...

...little ball of fur. <pets 2Shoes2Go's head>

I actually loved the mac and cheese. It was 9am in the morning though so maybe my taste buds weren't awake yet. The bloody mary was definitely good though. ;)

Brunch is generally where you take advantage of the assumption people will want to sleep later so you start serving later reducing the staff hours, substitute cheaper breakfast items for the lunch items you would normally serve and then charge more.

It's not quite that bad on Carnival one, because there is no charge and two, by 7 days it was hard to get excited about the same breakfast menu every day.

The Brunch menu is the same each time but you get to mix a few regular breakfast/lunch days in with some Brunch days for variety. Throw in the buffet a day or two and you have a pretty good mix of choices. Some of the Brunch creations are interesting but most still have a breakfast twist to them.

You get a two sided menu. One side is mostly traditional breakfast items and the other has items more to the lunch theme but fusing breakfast and lunch including cereal crusted French toast, Steak-n-eggs, Mac n' cheese with chicken, steak, or bacon mixed in, grilled salmon, hen alla diavola (a spicy grilled chicken), deserts and a bloody mary bar menu.

Seating and service is much like the traditional breakfast and lunch dinning.

the cheesecake and the banana cream pie were awesome!!

They also had cereal encrusted French toast. My sister had it and thought it was a bit much...

We actually found the brunch menu to be more limited than the regular MDR breakfast menu. My DD could not get waffles, for example.

Apparently the new Seus at Sea brunch is interesting and colorful! Green eggs and ham anyone?

The Sea Day brunch on Splendor was excellent in both February and March. It was nice to sit and order eggs benedict and a bloody!

We heard that if you go around noon, it's not crowded. They were right!

Did it twice on each cruise..once going and once coming back. A nice touch....

Pam

On Sea Days the traditional breakfast and lunch options in the main dining room are replaced by the brunch.

On most ships the hours are 8:45 to 1:30ish. The brunch menu has both traditional breakfast items like eggs and pancakes and lunch items like pasta and salmon.

Here is a link to the menu:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/brunch.html

Dang it Carnival!!! Replaces breakfast and lunch in MDR? That's disappointing!

Please tell me it is at least comedy free now.

(and thanks for the link)

I liked it much better and am looking forward to it on our next 9 day cruise with 4 sea days. I ordered grits and they are made with milk instead of water like on the lido deck. The dh ordered steak and eggs, they have these super sweet cereal french toast things that look like a sugar overload but look fun. I loved the heuvos rancheros. The eggs benedict were a little weird because of the stiff hollandaise sauce. Its not fresh and creamy, more like pre packaged stuff they just reheat. The egg was fine but the sauce on top was kind of gross. You can still order fresh fruit and cheese plates. They have a nice bread basket with pastries. We had the pop overs but they were really eggy for me. I don't know if pop overs are supposed to taste like that. I thought the were bread but it tasted like an airy fried egg that looked like bread, so it threw me off a little.

You sit with strangers but can request a private table. I heard plenty of people being led to a table only to get there and loudly state "I don't like sitting with strangers and I want my own table" I think it's a little tacky and should be said when you first come in for brunch, personally.

A brunch, IMO, should include unlimited champagne or mimosas. :D

Lots of great brunch restaurants around here where, if you purchase a brunch entree, you get unlimited champagne for $10-$15 more. I would gladly pay that for brunch on a cruise. One should never have brunch without a breakfast cocktail, or 10.

Never thought of this until my son asked, and i do not know the answer. My husband and I get the voucher for the free drink in the MDR for being repeat cruisers. My two sons, aged 11 and 16 will be joining us for their 2nd cruise. Will they also get the free drink vouher? Of course I know they can not order alcohol, but last time, I just used mine for a soda.

IF the kids do get one, can they use it for a non alcoholic drink like a virgin margarita or something? or soda?

curious. :confused: