turnpike or I-95 to Ft Lauderdale?

58Piano

We live in central Fla. I know the best way to Ft Lauderdale is the turnpike.

We start at Leesburg Hwy 27 exit. What if we got off at FL 70 Ft Pierce. Then took I-95 the rest of the way? This saves a lot in toll fees. Has anyone done it this way before? Where do you like to eat along the way? Thanks!

We start at Leesburg Hwy 27 exit. What if we got off at FL 70 Ft Pierce. Then took I-95 the rest of the way? This saves a lot in toll fees. Has anyone done it this way before? Where do you like to eat along the way? Thanks!

It's how we go. We drive from GA ... 75 to pike and get off at Ft. Pierce. We usually spend the night anywhere along there, our favorite being Stuart and Jensen Beach area, but have also stayed in West Palm Beach. We have a nice dinner, get a good night sleep and then it's only a short ride to the pier in the morning. And, yes, you do save a lot on tolls. We've eaten usually where we are staying the night so that depends. But, I like Mulligan's on the beach in Stuart. There are plenty of places in the area tho and most are good. There is a Legal Seafood in West Palm Beach which has wonderful New England Seafood flown in fresh daily ... being originally from Boston, we love that! Have fun road tripping and of course Happy Sailing! :)

Agree ... and it's worse the father down you get! Our last cruise left from Miami and that can be tough, especially if you're not used to it. However, going to FLL we never had a problem. As I said, we'd have dinner the night before, get a good night sleep, get going around 9:30-10:00 or so and both on a Saturday or a Sunday, we never ran into any big problems. And, of course we had plenty of time to get to the ship. So, for us it's worked. :)

For a nice Florida spot, try the Waterway Cafe on PGA Blvd in Palm Beach Gardens..it's about 3-4 miles EAST down on the right BEFORE the intracoastal bridge ..you will see a little sign that says "Waterway Cafe"..it is right on the intracoastal waterway and you can see the boats going by and the draw bridge go up & down to let bigger boats go by...BTW, you also can get off at Jupiter on the turnpike, make a quick left and I-95 is about 100 yards up on your right...food is good ( not great), but the atmosphere is terrific...gets busy by 6 PM on Fri- Sun, so if you are going any of those nights, go early...ask for a table OUTSIDE on the deck...

Big Al

Last month we were going from Melbourne to Fort Lauderdale, and we missed the exit for the turnpike. We decided just to stay on I-95, and we didn't run into much traffic until we got to the Palm Beach area. It was very easy. On the way back north we stayed on I-95, too. We've never taken the turnpike so I don't know what it's like, but I-95 was free and easy to do.