What is the general "feel" of a 4 or 5 day cruise vs. 7 days or longer?

sprockie

Over the years of reading here on CC, I have come to the conclusion that some lines have quite a different feel on a 5 day cruise vs. a 7 day cruise or longer. Some lines it seems are more of a party atmosphere and less formal on a shorter cruise. What is the general consensus on Celebrity - we've sailed mostly HAL and once on Carnival, so curious to hear what others think about Celebrity.

Another thread says there are no lobster to be had on a 5 day cruise - bummer:( We have just booked two shorter back to backs on Celebrity, so I am hoping there won't be much of a different "feel" to it than a 7+ nighter.

Can anyone outline any differences you see between the shorter vs. longer sailings?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Better than not cruising, but for me, rushed. A day to unwind and last day packing and thinking of getting off. Yes, there are some things not provided, but the way the cruise lines have cut back, at least for us, it would not be missed. I am not on the ship for example for a lobster tail. Now if they cut the escargots!!!! :)

We have done a number of 14/15 day cruises and THEY are fabulous! My sense of time is slowed down and the first week of each of the cruises have gone by slow for me.

What a wonderful thought to have after cruising for a week to think, I have another week of sailing! :)

Edited by shipshape sam

We just got of the Connie on a 5 night cruise. Never felt rushed, never felt crowded and never noticed any rowdy behavior. We usually do a 7 night and have done some 14 night cruises we have found them all relaxing

We were on the same cruise. :). Basically had the same experience, though the sea days around the pool were very crowded. We arrived early to the upper decks for those two days and most seats were either occupied or "saved" . We found seats across from a section of 4 lounges that were saved with towels, hats, books and beach chairs. Two and 1/2 hours after we arrived, the occupants (4women) finally showed up. So not right! :rolleyes:

To answer the OP's question, the 5 night cruises are fun, but we prefer the longer cruises of 7-12 nights. The passengers seems to be less of the party types. We did see a few passengers on the Connie that were rowdy, but not bothersome. The use of foul language was most noticeable to me, however. :(

I live in Phoenix and I won't even consider a cruise shorter than ten days from the west coast or fourteen days from the east coast. Our favorites are the transatlantics with a Med cruises added on. That's about 26-28 days and that is just about perfect. When you consider air and hotel, heading east, or coming back from Europe, that brings the average cost be day down to a reasonable number.