Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

As in not much left there at all. We didn't go onto the property, but you could see from the dive boat that everything was gutted. Not sure when your cruise is, but if it's soon you can count out Chankanaab.

We were just there for 10 days post Wilma... email me if you have more questions.

Don

We just got back on 11/26 from the Enchantment OTS and we went to Chankanaab and walked all around. There is much, much work to be done before they can open. They have a tentative reopen date of Dec. 15 but I don't see how that can happen. We went to a beach and snorkel place right on the other side of Chankanaab called UVAS and the snorkeling there was awful. There was no coral at all. The ocean bottom was flat sand. When we did find a large rock, it was surrounded by fish 'cause there is no place else to hang out! A lovely soft spoken employee of Chankanaab saw us walking around and sort of toured us around. He said they would open maybe in a couple of months. The lagoon is totally wiped out. Not a fish in it. It was so very sad.

I've heard it's supposed to reopen Dec 20, but I'm not sure what condition it will be in. I'm sure by January, it'll be OK. It's an amazing place to visit, I hope it's back to normal real soon! Sorry I don't have more info, but I hope this helps a little!

I keep hearing the dolphin cove will be open in the spring - in another thread I read of someone having their money refunded for a swim in March. We have reservations for April and I'm wondering should I try for my refund and look for plab "B"?????

I keep hearing the dolphin cove will be open in the spring - in another thread I read of someone having their money refunded for a swim in March. We have reservations for April and I'm wondering should I try for my refund and look for plab "B"?????
I would.

As mentioned above, Dec 15th is the Park Authority's planned re-opening date for Chankanaab, but the Dolphin Discovery attraction is run separately by a profit-making company - I haven't heard any news yet as to when the dolphins may return.

Personally I think there are more pleasant ways to spend your time in Cozumel then swimming with caged dolphins anyhow... but that's a whole different debate!

The best way to snorkel at the moment is on an organsied boat tour - my website has a report about the reefs, along with a review of the Fury Catamaran tour. You can also take boats to go snorkelling from Palancar Beach.

Best wishes from Cozumel

Ian

hi all. i was wondering in any of the coz folk, sally-tom-etc could speak to the reopening of chakkunaab on 12/20. if it does reopen, what remains? will there still be an entrance fee? any snorkeling??? any expanded info would be appreciated. if there is a website where i might track progress, i'd appreciate that link as well.

we're scheduled to be in port on 12/20 on the NCL Sun and hope to spend some time and $$ with PBTom as well, but had really planned for a first visit to Chakkunaab.

thanks,

luv2

Hi luv2snorkel

I'm afraid Chankanaab was one of the island's biggest victims. I haven't seen it first hand, but by all accounts it was very badly damaged - if you read Spanish there was a report in local paper Por Esto about it this week (see: http://www.poresto.com.mx/index.php?ID=52733).

It sounds like the lagoon was filled with sand, buildings badly damaged and access roads destroyed... so they have their work cut out. Nonetheless, repair work is ongoing I'm sure they'll re-open mid December as planned - it will still be a great place to visit, but it'll be different to before. Check with your cruise ship Shorex Manager before disembarking and they should be able to confirm if it is open for you on 20 Dec.

For updates, register your email address on my website (www.wilmacozumel.com), or visit the official Cozumel Tourism Promotion Board website (www.islacozumel.com.mx), the official Parks of Cozumel/Chankanaab site - although this doesn't have any updates yet (http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/20_eng.html) or other Cozumel info sites like www.cometocozumel.com and www.cozumelinsider.com.

Sorry it's not better news, but there are still plenty of reasons to visit Cozumel and I'm you're sure to have a great day!

Ian

Chan Ka Naab (Mayan for "small ocean" from the lagoon there) was indeed severely affected. I had heard from the Park Authorities that they were shooting to re-open Dec.15th. The Parks website is http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/home.html but they haven't updated it and still show pre-wilma info.

I took pictures from the ocean on November 26th, they are #562 to #569 in my Wilma Album the day I took them I had to ask a friend what it was, and couldn't believe when he said "That's Chankanaab". With time Chankanaab Park will return to normal conditions, but it's certainly going to take longer than downtown, and I doubt they will indeed be ready this month at all, the damage to the park is probably one of the hurricanes saddest effects.

We have the dolphin swim booked for our April cruise. We booked thru Coz Insider. I recently got an answer from them the swim program, the projected opening date is late March early April. I was told to hold off cancelling the booking until closer to the date for more definitive info. They (Coz Insider) would simply cancel it and use the funds deposited for any other excursion we would like from them

In one of today's local papers Park officials have announced that Chankanaab Park will not reopen until early February or March.

"Por Esto" article in Spanish:

http://www.poresto.net/index.php?ID=53722

Translation:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poresto.net%2Findex.php%3FID%3D53722&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I've just added a summary of that story to my website for anyone that's interested.

Also new today:, stories about scuba diving, art and a great Washington Post article.

And for anyone that has already been to Cozumel on a cruise lately - you can enter your photos in the competition too!

Ian

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about when Chankanaab marine park is going to open? We are going to be there on January 13 and I was just hoping may be it would it be open. Any information would be greatly apprecited. Thanks for your time. Take Care!!

Archived