Nautica:12/22/05-Singapore to Hong Kong

markindayton

I'm very interested in doing private excursions with others on this roll call. I haven't yet done any research on alternative excursions in Vietnam, Thailand, etc. because I'm more focused on a transatlantic cruise that departs in three weeks, but when I get back it will be fun to see what is available. In Cambodia for safety's sake will probably stick with whatever the ship offers to PP.

Mark,

Awhile back There was another post from someone who indicated that they will be on this same cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=207526

We are certainly interested in what you find out regarding excursions. Maybe Oceania will have posted their offerings by the time you return from your transatlantic cruise.

It is my understanding that Oceania now offers both group (bus) and private (van) tours. So for places such as Sihanoukville (Phnom Penh), we would certainly be interested in teaming up with one or two other couples for a van tour.

We will look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

alan (phlewt)

We are going on this cruise. Have begun working with TA re private tours. There are only two of us so we will be interested in anything you all come up with. Don't know what is available for Cambodia. It is always better and cheaper to have several people. Don't think Oceania has come up with their excursions yet. They are always slow.

My e-mail is: MBordo7555@aol.com

Sonia

In spite of the apparent availability of individual tours, when following up on the internet there doesn't seem to be availability for day tours from the cruise port. If anyone has had success with this type of tour please let us know. I'm beginning to think that our best bet will be to connect with an English-speaking cabby at our docks. Most people we have encountered in SE Asia are very enterprising and so this method of touring is a possibility.

Cruiser John,

In many situations I would agree that English speaking cabbies are a good alternative. On this cruise there are several ports that we will be visiting that are quite some distance from the major attractions. In Cambodia we will dock at Sihanoukville -- which I have read is approximately a 4-hour drive each way from Phnom Penh. In Thailand we dock at Laem Chabang -- which is approximately 1-1/2 hour drive each way from Bangkok. In Vietnam there are two stops, Saigon and Hanoi. In Saigon we may dock near the city center. Hanoi, on the other hand, is a long drive from Ha Long Bay, where we dock. I have not been able to find any feedback regarding experiences on other cruise ships, so I don't know how well we might fare if we plan to use English speaking cabbies at these ports that are a long distance from the attractions. It would be nice to get feedback before we commit to such tours.

Archived