Balcony??

gene g

Booked our first balcony and the wife is a little afraid that the door will close when she is out there and cain't get back in the room. Has anyone ever been trap out on the balcony??

It doesn't lock automatically by itself. Never had it happen and we've had lots of balconies with lots of coming and going on the balcony. I think you can lock it from inside the cabin only but we never bothered locking it. Who's going to try to enter your cabin from the balcony? :)

I have never heard of anyone doing that and I don't think you could possibly lock yourself out. If she is really nervous about it then you could put something like a towel on the edge of the doorway so that the door couldn't shut completely while you are outside.

In the unlikely event that this was to happen, all you would have to do is stick your head over the side and let someone know your problem. There would for sure be someone within earshot that could help you out.

It has crossed my mind that the room steward might lock me out so I leave the curtain open just in case. And yes stewards do lock the balcony door as part of their routine. We always open the balcony dividers with our family members and have gone in one room and then tried to enter our room from the balcony. Locked. I thought maybe since the divider was open was why it was locked. I have since checked when we were traveling solo and sure enough I leave it unlocked and when the room is serviced it gets locked.

Booked our first balcony and the wife is a little afraid that the door will close when she is out there and cain't get back in the room. Has anyone ever been trap out on the balcony??

Yes. Sister in law was wheelchair bound from a earlier foot surgery and couldn't go ashore at one port. She was out on the balcony and fell asleep. When she woke up, the balcony door had been locked by the cabin steward. They didn't know she was out there.

In the unlikely event that this was to happen, all you would have to do is stick your head over the side and let someone know your problem. There would for sure be someone within earshot that could help you out.

This didn't work for her because we were in port and everybody around our cabins had went ashore so there was nobody to hear her. She had to wait until we all came back onboard.

To the person who said that nobody can come into your balcony, there was a posting on here not too long ago that some teenagers in the next cabin got into their cabin from going around the balcony divider and stole some things from their cabin.

Edited by RWolver672

It has crossed my mind that the room steward might lock me out so I leave the curtain open just in case.

And yes stewards do lock the balcony door as part of their routine.

Hi Springs :)

I am glad you brought up the fact that cabin stewards often slide the inner

door latch locked on the balcony door when cleaning. If someone is out

there they will indeed be locked out.

I avoid this and many other possible situations concerning a steward entering

my cabin by simply making it a habit of placing the do not disturb sign on the

door as I enter the stateroom.

In short, if I am in the cabin, the do not disturb sign is being used.

:)