Bears

Cruz Doggie

Hi we just booked a cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Solstice leaving August 15th with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. We are excited as this is our first time going to Alaska! I was wondering if this is a good time to see the bears (don't the salmon run in August)? Can anyone recommend a good excursion (private as I can see what the cruise offers) for viewing the bears (I love photography and wildlife - may have to go on my own though as the rest of us won't be as interested). Thanks!

I highly recommend Traitor's Cove which is peak in your timeframe. This is out of Ketchikan. Check with Southeast Aviation for availability.

Also check out the peak schedules for Pack Creek out of Juneau.

We will be in Ketchikan the week after and we booked thru Island Wings for the Traitors Cover Bear Viewing. They offer a combo tour with Misty Fjords also if you are interested in seeing the fjords. So far I have been pleased with communication with Island Wings. Here is the website:

http://www.islandwings.com/

Happy planning!

Edited by SeeingTheWorldBySea

Thank you SeeingtheWorldbySea! I did email Island Wings today and heard back right away. I will have to see if time permits both the bears and fijords - thanks for advising of that as I didn't thin we could do both but now will look into it.

When you're in Juneau, head out to Mendenhall Glacier and walk the trail along Steep Creek. I've seen bears out there twice -- feasting on salmon from the creek -- from pretty close range. If there's a lot of bear activity there'll be a ranger there, just to keep an eye on things and to keep people from doing anything dumb. (Although there will always be "those" people who do dumb things no matter what you tell them. I stood next to a guy who repeatedly used his camera flash, after being told not to by the ranger so as not to spook the bear. *Sigh*)

Edited by Jenbo57

When you're in Juneau, head out to Mendenhall Glacier and walk the trail along Steep Creek. I've seen bears out there twice -- feasting on salmon from the creek -- from pretty close range. If there's a lot of bear activity there'll be a ranger there, just to keep an eye on things and to keep people from doing anything dumb. (Although there will always be "those" people who do dumb things no matter what you tell them. I stood next to a guy who repeatedly used his camera flash, after being told not to by the ranger so as not to spook the bear. *Sigh*)

We will be there mid June, can you see bears then?